The Student Room Group

If you get sacked is that the end of your career

Has anyone been sacked here? If so did you get another job quickly? Also want did you say to future employer?
Reply 1
never been sacked 'touch wood' if your employer who is sacking you is reasonable you can ask to be given the choice to resign before he/she officially sacks you. Then just BS to future emolyers how you left to find your perfect job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unless you are asked don't mention it. If you are asked, be honest about the situation. Most employers appreciate things don't work out but try to turn it into a positive like it taught you something that the new employer can now benefit from.
Reply 3
Original post by TheCareersGuy
Unless you are asked don't mention it. If you are asked, be honest about the situation. Most employers appreciate things don't work out but try to turn it into a positive like it taught you something that the new employer can now benefit from.

yeah don't listen to this person

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
never been sacked 'touch wood' if your employer who is sacking you is reasonable you can ask to be given the choice to resign before he/she officially sacks you. Then just BS to future emolyers how you left to find your perfect job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha brilliant. Good luck when you need to get a reference from your last employer who sacked you. Or do you just BS that as well?
Reply 5
Haha brilliant. Good luck when you need to get a reference from your last employer who sacked you. Or do you just BS that as well?

Did you not read what I said? I said you ask to resign before you're sacked if you are allowed to then this indicates your employer isn't an ass. And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
Did you not read what I said? I said you ask to resign before you're sacked if you are allowed to then this indicates your employer isn't an ass. And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Calm down. I don't take advice from rude people. I'll leave you to it. Best wishes.
Original post by Ana81
And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

https://www.gov.uk/work-reference

This isn't really true, depending on what you mean by bad. You are legally entitled to give someone a negative or unflattering reference as long as it's fair and accurate. If you were a rubbish employee your employer can absolutely say that on a reference. In practice, it is rare to actually say that, and the employer will typically respond with just the dates of your employment. But the silence can speak volumes...
You too huh? Okay if you honestly think lying to an employer is a good way to try and get a job I wish you the best of luck. None of my student friends found success that way. Just talking from experience that's all. I'd love to know your advice.
Reply 9
Original post by matt1001
Has anyone been sacked here? If so did you get another job quickly? Also want did you say to future employer?

Yeh I got sacked and I thought I'd blown it. I didn't ask to resign as I thought it was a bit cheeky since I was in the wrong (got caught with my had in the till). At my next interview I explained I got fired but said it was for "personal" reasons and that was that. Oh yeh and I got the job so all good :smile:.
"Then just BS to future empolyers how you left to find your perfect job." Am I missing something?
Original post by Ana81
And by law you can't give someone a bad reference look it up before you open your pie hole.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You look it up! By law a reference has to be honest. Part of being honest is disclosing performance issues and disciplinary measures. Therefore if you fired the employee, you have to say so. So it is perfectly legal to give a terrible reference if you had a terrible employee. You have to be honest and you have to be factual.
Reply 12
You too huh? Okay if you honestly think lying to an employer is a good way to try and get a job I wish you the best of luck. None of my student friends found success that way. Just talking from experience that's all. I'd love to know your advice.

You should not be passing on any type if wisdom to anyone untill you learn basic conversational skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending