The Student Room Group

When was the last time you visited the hair-dressers?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Almost 7 months ago. I've been in Ghana for almost 6 months and I'm scared to go to the hairdressers here.
I will probably go when I get back but I'm thinking of growing my hair long and I don't have many split ends so I might not.

Posted from TSR Mobile
3 years ago

I just brush my hair back and get my sister to cut it straight across. Saves £££

Also I don't trust hairdressers.. you ask for a trim and you come back with a bob.

I get my hair trimmed twice a year.
(edited 9 years ago)
I've never had it cut before.
I'm mixed race so it's super curly. With the right products it just takes care of its self.
Reply 23
About 2 or 3 years ago I think? Cut it myself now as I find that hairdressers take too much off, like someone else on this thread has already said you ask for a trim and end up with a bob :angry:

Posted from TSR Mobile
4 months or so.
Original post by LeaX
About three years ago. I feel like it's the most uncomfortable environment, there is a huge mirror in front of you making you feel self-conscious and you're forced to engage in small talk with a stranger. Luckily I've since found a hairdresser who comes to my house and she's lovely, she came round two days ago and cut my hair. :smile:

'Going anywhere nice on holiday this year?' :wink:
Original post by Freudian Slip
'Going anywhere nice on holiday this year?' :wink:

"So what are you studying?" ... "Oh, wow how interesting"
Original post by LeaX
"So what are you studying?" ... "Oh, wow how interesting"

'Lovely weather we're having, isn't it?' :colone:
Wednesday, 2 days ago.
Original post by Reece Sure
Cut my own hair, one of the best investments I've ever made.

how on earth do you do that? unless you go for the skinhead look?

I want to try but scared I'll **** it up
Reply 30
Never. I have family members and friends who take care of my hair just fine. I wouldn't trust a stranger with my hair as they'll give me something I didn't ask for. Plus, I don't have to pay :tongue:
December, only because my mother practically dragged me in there! But I'm planning on going before Wednesday so that it looks nice for my holiday. I also want to get a fringe again. But I don't want to lose length. Dilemma.
Original post by LeaX
About three years ago. I feel like it's the most uncomfortable environment, there is a huge mirror in front of you making you feel self-conscious and you're forced to engage in small talk with a stranger. Luckily I've since found a hairdresser who comes to my house and she's lovely, she came round two days ago and cut my hair. :smile:

I hate the small talk. I've found it's only really female hairdressers who insist on chatting, and they always mess up my hair. Men are less talkative and just focus on your hair in my experience. They make muuuuuch better hairdressers.
I went about 3 months ago. Need to go back, but I have super long hair and I'm sick of the cut, the colour, everything. But I don't know what to do with it & I'm scared to cut it all off :colondollar:
About 7 years. It was a bad experience. Besides, I only ever have a trim so my mum does it for me:colondollar:
Original post by Joshale
how on earth do you do that? unless you go for the skinhead look?

I want to try but scared I'll **** it up

You need a mounted mirror or a large mirror you can get close to, and a smaller, handheld mirror.
I start with the scissors, and I usually have an idea like throughout the month about what parts of the top are too long or could be cut shorter and how i'll go about it the next time etc.. so i start with the front, sweep it over and down my face and just take sorta snippets using the scissors in a vertical way. the idea is not to cut squarely horizontally, but to just hold them upright and take cuts into small groups of hair if that makes sense?
Move onto the top, you decide how long you want it. Ideally this works for shorter hair but mine was quite long, not inaccurate to say its medium length. Run your hands through your hair, and bring your fingers together. If its long or at least bundled in straight lines between your fingers, snip away at the desired length. Do this all over the top, I usually went shorter as it progressively reached the sides.
Then, making use of the handheld mirror, turn away from the larger mirror and use that as a reflection for the back of your head, which you see as itself a reflection of the handheld mirror. Take clippers, adjust to the length you desire but starting the longest. clipper the whole side of the head, do both sides. Say youre using a 5 guard on the clippers, make a rough mental note as to where you want that length to end on your head. get progressively lower in the length of guards, rinse repeat. the back is essentially the same, except the top third of the back of my head will be the same length as he top of the sides (5 to repeat the example), and then progressively shorter as I see fit. Just make sure their isnt some crazy rediculous contrasting hair length with the back and sides.. keep it relatively uniform. the bottom half of your hair feel free to just go as short as you want.

Alternatively, what I did before going 2 all over was scissor the front, number 7 all over the top and then did the sides. Alot less hassle using clippers.
My hair length throughout points:

Spoiler

Also, a video that I think you'd find helpful.. :

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Reece Sure
You need a mounted mirror or a large mirror you can get close to, and a smaller, handheld mirror.
I start with the scissors, and I usually have an idea like throughout the month about what parts of the top are too long or could be cut shorter and how i'll go about it the next time etc.. so i start with the front, sweep it over and down my face and just take sorta snippets using the scissors in a vertical way. the idea is not to cut squarely horizontally, but to just hold them upright and take cuts into small groups of hair if that makes sense?
Move onto the top, you decide how long you want it. Ideally this works for shorter hair but mine was quite long, not inaccurate to say its medium length. Run your hands through your hair, and bring your fingers together. If its long or at least bundled in straight lines between your fingers, snip away at the desired length. Do this all over the top, I usually went shorter as it progressively reached the sides.
Then, making use of the handheld mirror, turn away from the larger mirror and use that as a reflection for the back of your head, which you see as itself a reflection of the handheld mirror. Take clippers, adjust to the length you desire but starting the longest. clipper the whole side of the head, do both sides. Say youre using a 5 guard on the clippers, make a rough mental note as to where you want that length to end on your head. get progressively lower in the length of guards, rinse repeat. the back is essentially the same, except the top third of the back of my head will be the same length as he top of the sides (5 to repeat the example), and then progressively shorter as I see fit. Just make sure their isnt some crazy rediculous contrasting hair length with the back and sides.. keep it relatively uniform. the bottom half of your hair feel free to just go as short as you want.

Alternatively, what I did before going 2 all over was scissor the front, number 7 all over the top and then did the sides. Alot less hassle using clippers.
My hair length throughout points:

Spoiler

Also, a video that I think you'd find helpful.. :

Spoiler

Yeh I get the idea with the scissors, I like to keep the top bit pritty long, and have the sides shaven to 0.5 or 1, I tried to do the back and sides once with #1 clippers, and failed miserably with some patches and so had to go to the hairdressers to sort it out, but then again I didn't use 2 mirrors, I just basically looked back into one and now thinking about it; bad idea doing like that

I might try again but if it ends how it was, then well:redface:
The first and last time I visited the hairdresser was about six/seven years ago. I was 16ish. Never. Ever. Again. :colonhash:
Yesterday. It's too short. :bawling:
10 years ago

Quick Reply

Latest