The Student Room Group

Why do women need female only competitions in everything?

I believe it's discriminating and patronizing for women to have female only competitions in anything from sports or chess to female only maths olympiads. What kind of message does this send to girls? That they're only good enough for a girl? It's disgusting and humiliating.

My proposal is this : dismantle all female only competitions and make men and women compete together in everything. The best adult female football teams in the world lose to mediocre 15 yo boys by huge margins? So what? Not all men are better than all women at football. The fastest women in the world could be beaten by half decent high school teenage male runners? So what? Not all men are better than all women at running. There's only 1 woman in the top 100 best chess players in the world and only 3 in the top 100 of the IMO. So what? Not all men are better than all women at chess and maths. Female master titles in chess are an insult to women : ''oh, gratz hun, you're good enough for a girl!''

This would also solve the pay issue in sports since there would only be one competition for all.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's kind of true, in some cases. For instance, look at the proportion of males that go the IMO (international mathematical olympiad). It is disproportionately males. Obviously, there have been great females attending, such as one who got a perfect score and is now a professor. However, females are still invited. But, female equivalents are made because, realistically, at the peak of high school mathematics it is males.

I do agree that there should be competitions where both attend, but in certain cases women wouldn't make it to professional levels; Serena Williams, for instance, got destroyed by somebody who was the 203rd best (male) player at the time. Therefore if women want a chance to compete realistically they (sometimes) need their own competitions.

l0l it's worse than I thought: [X].
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Zen-Ali
It's kind of true, in some cases. For instance, look at the proportion of males that go the IMO (international mathematical olympiad). It is disproportionately males. Obviously, there have been great females attending, such as one who got a perfect score and is now a professor. However, females are still invited. But, female equivalents are made because, realistically, at the peak of high school mathematics it is males.

I do agree that there should be competitions where both attend, but in certain cases women wouldn't make it to professional levels; Serena Williams, for instance, got destroyed by somebody who was the 203rd best (male) player at the time. Therefore if women want a chance to compete realistically they (sometimes) need their own competitions.

Braasch competed in a "Battle of the Sexes" contest against Venus Williams and Serena Williams at the 1998 Australian Open when he was ranked 203. A decade and a half older than the sisters, Braasch was described by one journalist as "a man whose training regime centred around a pack of cigarettes and more than a couple bottles of ice cold lager." He nonetheless defeated both sisters, playing a single set against each, beating Serena 6–1 and Venus 6–2.

This guy never won a single tourney in his life and made just over a million $ in his whole career of 18 years which by tennis standards is utter ****. Meanwhile the sisters went ton to make a gazillion each, even though he wiped the floor with them without even trying. Doesn't sound like equality or fairness to me.
Reply 3
I always laugh when I hear comments like ''women are kicking ass at the Australian Open this year''. Huh, what? They're playing against other women, wft does that even mean? They wouldn't be worthy of even wiping the male players' asses, never mind kick them. And super liberal sports ''experts'' saying how Serena would take a set from Murray. JFC she'd be lucky to win 3 points in the whole match.
Original post by Den Haag
I always laugh when I hear comments like ''women are kicking ass at the Australian Open this year''. Huh, what? They're playing against other women, wft does that even mean? They wouldn't be worthy of even wiping the male players' asses, never mind kick them. And super liberal sports ''experts'' saying how Serena would take a set from Murray. JFC she'd be lucky to win 3 points in the whole match.

Its sad when they think a woman winning a gold medal is great for the country, when it fact it is just second rate.
How about a mixed gender "talking repetitive **** on the internet" competition.

Sorry girls but you're gonna be second best.
Reply 6
Original post by Lontttt530
Its sad when they think a woman winning a gold medal is great for the country, when it fact it is just second rate.

Yes, these golden women would be beaten by thousands of high school male athletes and men practicing the same sport as a hobby in the weekends. It's pathetic.
Reply 7
Original post by MagicNMedicine
How about a mixed gender "talking repetitive **** on the internet" competition.

Sorry girls but you're gonna be second best.

Not if it involves topics like ''should I leave my abusive, cheating bf'' or ''how do I get back my abusive, cheating bf''.
Because sexism is a one way street :rolleyes:
Original post by Zen-Ali

I think you mean the proportion of people entering the IMO. I would expect the proportion of males to be completely male.

I agree with some of the posts you make, but you seem very angry all the time. You should try yoga. I hear that's good.
Women only sport is a third rate tier. No one really should give a damn really. They are all weak and suck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iEatMuFFiNS
Because sexism is a one way street :rolleyes:

Yeah, when I read these threads I really feel like males are the real victims of sexism....
In regards to sports, women usually don't have the physical capabilities to match up.
Reply 14
Because were cool like that :tongue:
I.

That's ridiculous. I played in a cricket tournament yesterday where girls were allowed to play with us men.

It ruined the enjoyment of the tournament. We had to bowl really slow to them to avoid causing them injuries.

At one point the ball struck a girls thigh and she started crying. The bowler did not even bowl fast. Imagine had he bowled at full pace?
Reply 16
Original post by TolerantBeing
Yeah, when I read these threads I really feel like males are the real victims of sexism....

They are. Men can't join the female only competitions. A woman can play sports, chess or participate in the proper olympiad if they are good enough. Men don't have their own competitions. Well, in a way they do since they are 99% to 100% of the top competitors in just about anything but women aren't banned from joining.
Original post by TolerantBeing

Feel? you seem to be letting emotions govern your decisions...
Reply 18
Original post by Ben_Dover
That's ridiculous. I played in a cricket tournament yesterday where girls were allowed to play with us men.

It ruined the enjoyment of the tournament. We had to bowl really slow to them to avoid causing them injuries.

At one point the ball struck a girls thigh and she started crying. The bowler did not even bowl fast. Imagine had he bowled at full pace?

Yet when a woman (Sarah Taylor) wants to make the jump to real cricket, the powers that be deny her that right. Ridiculous. It's happened in football too. Unfortunately we'll probably need a girl Messi or something for the clubs to put enough pressure on the authorities to allow it.
Original post by InsertWittyName
I agree with some of the posts you make, but you seem very angry all the time. You should try yoga. I hear that's good.

Someone has to speak the truth.
Most men lick womens ass just to get some pussy,

Quick Reply