The Student Room Group

Criticisms of the Facebook psychological experiment

Scroll to see replies

In my opinion they can do whatever they want on their website. If people didn't even notice then why the big deal?

Besides, if people had known about it beforehand, the results could've been skewed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Darkphilosopher
In my opinion they can do whatever they want on their website. If people didn't even notice then why the big deal?

Besides, if people had known about it beforehand, the results could've been skewed.

I don't think you are allowed to do whatever you want on your own website - there are regulations and laws you have to follow. Ethical conduct is a large part of psychology experiments.

Original post by Jammy Duel
Ok, quick look on the internet, they are now, as part of the terms of use, allowed to do this for research purposes, but they didn't change it until after the experiments and have now apologised for performing the test.

So participants were not informed?

Thanks for your take on this it's really interesting! What is psych phd focused on? :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Armadillo

That's the problem people are having, they were used as test subjects without thrir knowledge or consent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 23
If Alex is correct, and it is in the terms of service, then people need to stop crying about it (then again, so many people don't know how to do that). Imo

Why? They can put whatever they like in the terms of service, it doesn't necessarily make it binding.
Original post by n00
Why? They can put whatever they like in the terms of service, it doesn't necessarily make it binding.

Because when you agree to the ToS you are agreeing that you're ok with the contents, so if you agreed thst they can perform psychological experiments on you then they can, and you have no right to complain about it; if you don't like the ToS then don't agree to them and don't use the service.
Reply 25
Because when you agree to the ToS you are agreeing that you're ok with the contents, so if you agreed thst they can perform psychological experiments on you then they can, and you have no right to complain about it

:facepalm:Of course you have the right to complain if it's unenforceable.
Original post by Armadillo
I don't think you are allowed to do whatever you want on your own website - there are regulations and laws you have to follow. Ethical conduct is a large part of psychology experiments.

Thanks for your take on this it's really interesting! What is psych phd focused on? :smile:

Broadly, I'm looking at the relationship between dopamine and effort-based decision-making in the striatum (a part of the brain thought to analyse cost-benefit decisions, so having to put X amount of effort into getting Y amount of reward).

And thanks, that's very kind!

Because when you agree to the ToS you are agreeing that you're ok with the contents, so if you agreed thst they can perform psychological experiments on you then they can, and you have no right to complain about it; if you don't like the ToS then don't agree to them and don't use the service.

I agree with you, Jammy Duel- this is exactly my point of view on the matter.
Original post by n00
:facepalm:Of course you have the right to complain if it's unenforceable.

In what way is it unenforceable?
Reply 28
In what way is it unenforceable?

I dunno in this case, was talking more generally.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22772321
Consent is quite important... though it's something that Facebook does anyway (manipulates the posts which you see - which is terrible!)... so in a way is to be expected. Though, the fact that they can manipulate (pick and choose) the posts you see should be underlined by the company. It is somewhat of a breach of trust doing so, IMO.
Reply 30
Original post by llacerta
I agree with you, Jammy Duel- this is exactly my point of view on the matter.

:eek: Scary how many people believe this bull****.

Ah well might as well take advantage.

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by n00
:eek: Scary how many people believe this bull****.

Ah well might as well take advantage.

Spoiler

THIS!!! [used the quote button, I owe you nothing :biggrin:] If you agree to a ToS, you have no right to complain. They always notify users when it's changing and if you're not bothered to read it, don't complain about the product. Facebook is a service that we are not required to use. They have the right to do what they want with it, just as we have the right to simply use something else if we don't agree with the ToS. It was a harmless experiment
Reply 32
Original post by alexschmalex
THIS!!! [used the quote button, I owe you nothing :biggrin:]

I don't think you read the terms. I'll send you my bitcoin wallet address within the next 32 working days, please be aware late payment charges still apply during this time. Thanks.

Original post by alexschmalex
If you agree to a ToS, you have no right to complain. They always notify users when it's changing and if you're not bothered to read it, don't complain about the product. Facebook is a service that we are not required to use. They have the right to do what they want with it, just as we have the right to simply use something else if we don't agree with the ToS. It was a harmless experiment

:facepalm:
That's the problem people are having, they were used as test subjects without thrir knowledge or consent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It strikes me as a bit inconsistent that there's nothing wrong with Facebook altering a newsfeed algorithm simply to experiment or try new things, but when it's for "a study", they have to inform participants?

I just don't really see what's different about this compared to Facebook just messing around with their algorithms which they presumably do quite often anyway.
Original post by Chief Wiggum
It strikes me as a bit inconsistent that there's nothing wrong with Facebook altering a newsfeed algorithm simply to experiment or try new things, but when it's for "a study", they have to inform participants?

I just don't really see what's different about this compared to Facebook just messing around with their algorithms which they presumably do quite often anyway.

It's that they have admitted to doing it intentionally for research purposes and that it wasn't just some error in the algorithm causing thst outcome, and IIRC it was for advertising purposes too (somehow).

Informing people stops it being a totally blind test

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't get why the research would cause controversy at all.

Check out TSR Movie Madness
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Don't get why the research would cause controversy at all.

Check out TSR Movie Madness

Since these days delusions about what constitutes rights and what doesn't has got out of hand, we live in a culture that seems to encourage suing people, corporations and governments as soon as you have a vague feeling your idea of what your rights are are infringed upon, people think that it somehow infringed upon their rights.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending