The Student Room Group

Taking 5 A-Levels???

I just finished my As year and I'm studying Psychology,Geography, English Lit, Italian and Business Studies. As I'm unsure of what I want to do in the future so I'm considering carrying on with the all the subjects next year ( I finished the Italian A-level in one year,so I'll only have 4 subjects in year 13). I would just like to know whether it's worth it to carry on with all of my subjects or drop one and maybe pick an As instead.
I'm also going to do an EPQ next year so I just wanna know if the work load is going to be too much.
Any opinions?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I did 5 A-levels in AS and dropped 2 for the second year and still found the workload to be too much. Im actually glad I dropped two, I dunno what I would`ve done when it came to revising for exams lol. But honestly, it depends on the workload and how YOU would find it. How did you find the AS year with those 5 subjects?If it was too much, then you have your answer:smile:
Also remember, when applying for unis, if you have 5 a levels, they`d expect 5 A`s if you are applying for top unis. Which would probably be easier to get with 3 A levels. But like I said, its up to you. Why not try looking at the course content for the next year and see if you think you`ll be able to handle it?:smile:
Original post by Mav455

Also remember, when applying for unis, if you have 5 a levels, they`d expect 5 A`s if you are applying for top unis. Which would probably be easier to get with 3 A levels.

How would it be easier to get 5 As with 3 A Levels?

Also, just because someone does 5 A Levels that doesn't necessarily mean their offers will be 'scaled up' so to speak.

I did 5 AS's and 4 A2's, it was hard but if you manage your time well it is very doable. I wouldn't recommend doing 4 A2s and an EPQ, but that's down to you. I got offers from Cambridge, UCL, LSE, King's and Warwick and they all required A*AA or AAA, so I didn't need 4 A's (as Mav suggested).

However some unis prefer you to do 4 A Levels, such as Imperial College for certain courses.

If you do well at AS and enjoy your subjects, I'd say drop one and carry on with 4, because the workload for 5 would be immense. However, it is, in the end, your decision - but I hope I've given you some things to think about.
Reply 3
Original post by Law-Hopeful
How would it be easier to get 5 As with 3 A Levels?

Also, just because someone does 5 A Levels that doesn't necessarily mean their offers will be 'scaled up' so to speak.

I did 5 AS's and 4 A2's, it was hard but if you manage your time well it is very doable. I wouldn't recommend doing 4 A2s and an EPQ, but that's down to you. I got offers from Cambridge, UCL, LSE, King's and Warwick and they all required A*AA or AAA, so I didn't need 4 A's (as Mav suggested).

However some unis prefer you to do 4 A Levels, such as Imperial College for certain courses.

If you do well at AS and enjoy your subjects, I'd say drop one and carry on with 4, because the workload for 5 would be immense. However, it is, in the end, your decision - but I hope I've given you some things to think about.
No I meant 3 A`s with 3 A levels because you have less to focus on, whereas the more subjects you have, the more revision time you have to devote for each. If he thinks its doable, then by all means he is free to do so. I was just saying that it depends the individual himself, whether they think they can do it or not. Sorry for the confusion :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest