The Student Room Group

Would you date a female with an hair loss condition

Would a woman be at a huge disadvantage for attracting a male if she had hairless/had to rely on wigs etc? Just been diagnosed with that alopecia aereata which can cause total baldness in some people but don't know if it will they said the futures not certain. Has anyone had this?

Scroll to see replies

Nope i wouldn't date her. Inb4 "you are such a dick", women do the same so why can't men? Double standards of peace.
Original post by civilstudent
Would a woman be at a huge disadvantage for attracting a male if she had hairless/had to rely on wigs etc? Just been diagnosed with that alopecia aereata which can cause total baldness in some people but don't know if it will they said the futures not certain. Has anyone had this?

Ignore the idiot siamakdie below you.

Any decent person would not find your hair loss a huge disadvantage :smile:
Original post by Bartimaeus
Ignore the idiot siamakdie below you.

Any decent person would not find your hair loss a huge disadvantage :smile:

Like it or not hair does play a part in attraction for many people (See all the discussions about blondes/brunettes, long or short etc), so I think calling the poster above you an idiot for stating his opinion is a bit unfair as it's a completely fair point.

Personally, I wouldn't be so sure. I don't think it would play much on my mind, as you said she would rely on wigs which is fine. If I liked her enough then I'm sure it wouldn't matter to me.
Some people wouldn't care, me included. If your personality was great and the guy liked you then it's fine BUT don't just randomly take your wig off when youre at home with the guy cause that may be a huge surprise for him. Just tell the guy one day when your talking and tell him about your condition at least then he can learn to accept it and love you for you. :smile:
Reply 5
Nah i wouldn't.
Original post by Anonymous
Some people wouldn't care, me included. If your personality was great and the guy liked you then it's fine BUT don't just randomly take your wig off when youre at home with the guy cause that may be a huge surprise for him. Just tell the guy one day when your talking and tell him about your condition at least then he can learn to accept it and love you for you. :smile:

I've not got a wig lol just have a small patch can't be noticed but was told there is a chance of total hair loss in the future
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 7

My friend has the same issue, she's got gorgeous wigs and she found herself a really sweet guy who understands and is fine with it! They are soon getting married :smile:

Good luck!
Original post by siamakdie
Nope i wouldn't date her. Inb4 "you are such a dick", women do the same so why can't men? Double standards of peace.

I've seen loads of women with bald men, they don't even wear wigs at least I'd be willing to wear a wig lol.
Reply 9
Alopecia Areata is probably the most unpredictable type of hair loss, which is both good and bad, because it means that your hair can grow back at any point in your life. It's when your immune system attacks your hair follicles, so there are ways to treat it, though it's unsure whether these treatments are effective in all sufferers. The main ones that I know of are:
- Steroid injections or steroid creams applied to the scalp
- Minoxidil: this will cause your hair to shed before it begins to grow, because it causes hair to quickly finish the telogen (resting) phase so that it can go back to the anagen (growing) phase.
These treatments usually work best for traction and androgenetic alopecia, but it's worth a try. Also, try to reduce emotional stress and consider a hair transplant or extensions if it's worrying you.
Another option is to learn how to style your hair around the areas of baldness, in order to hide it. Give me more details on how it looks or PM me if you'd like some advice on styling your hair.
To answer your main question, I don't think that men will turn you down for a medical condition that you obviously can't control much. Just try to manage the way you style your hair as much as possible.
Original post by Faye_m
My friend has the same issue, she's got gorgeous wigs and she found herself a really sweet guy who understands and is fine with it! They are soon getting married :smile:

Good luck!

I don't even know how bad it will get it's just a small patch (3cm) that's started to grow back now but I was told it's unpredictable and some go completely bald.
Live not got a wig lol just have a small patch can't be noticednoticed but was told there is a chance of total hair loss in the future

ahh then it's not something you should fully wouldn't worry about it, just be open and tell the guy sooner or later as it progresses. If the guy doesn't like it he will leave but at least you will know he's not the right person and if he accepts it then great :biggrin:

i wouldn't worry :smile:
To be honest, if you had the wig on and you had other nice qualities, then I would be attracted. I know a couple of girls that have hair extensions, and it looks very real. I can't tell the difference. I'm sure wigs these days do pretty much look like the real thing.

However, the point where I would have trouble is if you took the wig off. I don't think I can be attracted then. It's just for me, long hair is a very attractive feature in girls. I don't know the deal with wigs and how long you can keep them on and when you need to take them off.

I would feel bad for dating the person just because I can accept her only when she has a wig on.
ahh then it's not something you should fully wouldn't worry about it, just be open and tell the guy sooner or later as it progresses. If the guy doesn't like it he will leave but at least you will know he's not the right person and if he accepts it then great :biggrin:

i wouldn't worry :smile:

I just don't know what I'm supposed to think/assume about my hair I don't know whether to be positive and think I won't get any more patches/hairless or whether to assume the worst that I'll go bald in the future. I don't know if I should tell guys about it as it's only lack of hair (only had a small patch so far) a lot of men go bald anyway it's just cause I'm female.
A friend of mine has fairly severe alopecia (and wears a wig for the most part while outside), and she's very attractive, though not actively looking to date anyone at the moment. Equally, I have trichotillomania myself - the effects aren't hugely noticeable (at least on my head) because my hair is quite thick, but it's very much a major part of my life, and somehow someone still manages to find me attractive enough to date. And anyone who wouldn't respect that probably isn't the right person for you :smile:
Original post by DivinityA
Like it or not hair does play a part in attraction for many people (See all the discussions about blondes/brunettes, long or short etc), so I think calling the poster above you an idiot for stating his opinion is a bit unfair as it's a completely fair point.

Personally, I wouldn't be so sure. I don't think it would play much on my mind, as you said she would rely on wigs which is fine. If I liked her enough then I'm sure it wouldn't matter to me.

I used the word idiot because his attitude is cruel and unpleasant towards the OP.

Of course hair does have some bearing on attraction but I don't think it would put off people who are genuinely attracted to the person.
If she wore a wig it really wouldn't be an issue for me providing it looked real. Similarly if I loose my hair I'll get a wig but that's more to avoid the inconvenience of shaving every day.

Women date bald/receding men so it shouldn't be different the other way around? Besides quite a few girls look great with short hair.
My mum has alopecia universalis (no hair on her body at all) and she's still beautiful. I know I'm biased, but she gets plenty of male attention and whilst you do get the odd idiot, the best people are able to see past it.

Out of interest, do you know what the trigger for your alopecia is? My mum lost her hair at a time when she was incredibly stressed and if she'd found a way to remove those stresses early enough, then it might have grown back. Presuming that you do want to keep your hair, it may be worth finding out how you can change your lifestyle in order to facilitate those follicles!
My mum has alopecia universalis (no hair on her body at all) and she's still beautiful. I know I'm biased, but she gets plenty of male attention and whilst you do get the odd idiot, the best people are able to see past it.

Out of interest, do you know what the trigger for your alopecia is? My mum lost her hair at a time when she was incredibly stressed and if she'd found a way to remove those stresses early enough, then it might have grown back. Presuming that you do want to keep your hair, it may be worth finding out how you can change your lifestyle in order to facilitate those follicles!

No sympathy sorry, no need for a sob story, please stay on topic:

OP: Yeah I'd bang her, her hair isn't come out over night is it

Quick Reply

Latest