The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi Jolene1986

I am also a mum. Im 26 with a 7yr old and a 2yr old :smile: im going to uni in sept to do Law and Criminology in Swansea :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Not a mom but I house husband, lol, gave up work to care for my autistic son who is now 10. Starting my access course in Sept and hoping to go to Aston to study economics next year. Terrified about getting the balance right between study and home life but I know I have to make it work, as much for my family as myself.
I'm a mum of two, 10 yo boy and a 6 yo girl. Starting the second year of my part-time access course in September, then hopefully onto Queen's or Ulster university to do Nursing. :smile:

Thankfully have a hubby, mum and dad to support me. Excited just wish I was starting uni now.
Reply 4
It will soon arrive to go to Uni. I cant believe how quick its come around for me! Exciting times. What access course are you doing?
Original post by samjones2be
It will soon arrive to go to Uni. I cant believe how quick its come around for me! Exciting times. What access course are you doing?

Access to Biomedical/Biological sciences. I'm enjoying getting the old brain working again and if I'm honest I'm surprising myself!!

Wish I had done it first time round, but there we go!!
Reply 6
It is suprising what we can do when we put our minds to it haha! I did social welfare. Really enjoyed it. Im glad ive done it now and not done it earlier or later. I was ready now
It is surprising what we can do when we put our minds to it haha! I did social welfare. Really enjoyed it. I'm glad i've done it now and not done it earlier or later. I was ready now

I know what your saying with regards to doing it now, if I'm honest I know I will try harder now than when I was 17 -18. I have matured and have more at stake, with to little kids watching me. I want to show them with hard work and dedication it can be done. :smile:

My little boy would tend to be a little lazy and I am hoping to rub off on him.
Reply 8
Original post by kathyowen04
I know what your saying with regards to doing it now, if I'm honest I know I will try harder now than when I was 17 -18. I have matured and have more at stake, with to little kids watching me. I want to show them with hard work and dedication it can be done. :smile:

My little boy would tend to be a little lazy and I am hoping to rub off on him.

Oh definetly! At 17-18 i wanted to party. Haha! Thats what pushed me more than ever was being a role model to my children. To show them that they can achieve anything if theu put their minds to it :smile: im sure your boy will be proud of his mam working hard :smile: my son knows if ive got work and i always tell him its important to do your work the best you can. His teachers have told me hes knuckled down now and tells his friends to leave him be until hes finished :smile:
Reply 9
How you all feeling
I am terrified worried im.not brainy enough. Il be neglecting my kids. That there hte me. Excitement has gone into fear.
Ive done college but uni feels a whole new ball game. My contact hrs are around 12 hrs lot of work self learning. But still I know time management il be fine
But can't help but doubt myself

Btw congrats everyone xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by jolene1986
How you all feeling
I am terrified worried im.not brainy enough. Il be neglecting my kids. That there hte me. Excitement has gone into fear.
Ive done college but uni feels a whole new ball game. My contact hrs are around 12 hrs lot of work self learning. But still I know time management il be fine
But can't help but doubt myself

Btw congrats everyone xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im waiting anxiously to start now. I dont want to stop learning incase my brain freezes haha! I often think im mot brainy enough and espec now going into law as ive done none of it in college lol! But i am willing to learn and i do quite quickly so im hopeful lol! Through college i felt awful that i didnt spend alot of time with the kids, half term them nagging me to go out etc and i couldnt as i had a mountain of work to do. But all this is to benefit them aswell in the future. It will be worth it.

We will be fine :wink: time management is key and as you said self learning. We can do it :smile: x
Reply 11
I did 2 years law at college and had s baby during
Time will tell xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mature35
Not a mom but I house husband, lol, gave up work to care for my autistic son who is now 10. Starting my access course in Sept and hoping to go to Aston to study economics next year. Terrified about getting the balance right between study and home life but I know I have to make it work, as much for my family as myself.

Hope it works out mate :smile:
Original post by Dan.dont
Hope it works out QUOTE]
Thanks, l'm sure l can do the work, its the balance and getting back into the swing of things, its been a few years. Any advice welcome.....
Reply 14
[QUOTE="mature35;48448403"]
Hope it works out QUOTE]
Thanks, l'm sure l can do the work, its the balance and getting back into the swing of things, its been a few years. Any advice welcome.....

Just keep on top of it as it can become too much! :smile: welcome back to the world of education :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by jolene1986
I did 2 years law at college and had s baby during
Time will tell xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you find law?? Im looking forward to the course but nervous as i havent done law previously. Ive just ordered the new 2014-2015 The English Legal System book to read as recommended by my best friend who is a law graduate.

Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh definitely! At 17-18 i wanted to party. Haha! That's what pushed me more than ever was being a role model to my children. To show them that they can achieve anything if they put their minds to it :smile: I'm sure your boy will be proud of his mam working hard :smile: my son knows if I've got work and i always tell him its important to do your work the best you can. His teachers have told me he's knuckled down now and tells his friends to leave him be until he's finished :smile:

That's nice to know. You do worry about the little guys.
[QUOTE="mature35;48448403"]
Hope it works out QUOTE]

I would say when you get all of the information you need in regards to what subjects your doing and the work then make a timetable where you organise work time and family time. Also to make it fun and less stressful for both you and your family why not involve your family? By that I mean for example if your studying Science take them to a Science museam that will not only make your studies fun, and involve your family but you'll find you'll enjoy your studies more as your combining two things you love if that makes sense.
[QUOTE="Dan.dont;48450283"]
Original post by mature35

I would say when you get all of the information you need in regards to what subjects your doing and the work then make a timetable where you organise work time and family time. Also to make it fun and less stressful for both you and your family why not involve your family? By that I mean for example if your studying Science take them to a Science museam that will not only make your studies fun, and involve your family but you'll find you'll enjoy your studies more as your combining two things you love if that makes sense.

I'm studying access to he business and have already downloaded the course info but obviously don't know which units I'll be doing yet, still I've been reading up on some of the topics already and will continue doing so over the summer. I'll be honest and say that I'm not the best at sticking to timetables, but I hate leaving things to last minute. I tend to get stuck in straight away and won't stop till I'm pretty much done. I already know I'll be studying whilst my sons at school and when he goes to bed so that I have time with him at weekends and can help him with school work etc after school. Involving him in it sounds like a good idea but with it being business I'm going to have to think up some ideas on how to do it.
Hi.

I have just finished my 2nd year of an English lit degree. I have four children, my eldest is 13 and my youngest is 4.

It is extremely difficult finding time to study. I try to dedicate the hours they are at school solely to studying, however, that doesn't always work as there is still shopping, tidying, laundry to be done, not to mention the other 5000 random events that need attention. Then there are school holidays and illnesses to deal with!

That said I am thoroughly enjoying being a student and am a little sad that this is my last year (unless I get on a PGCE afterwards). I am proof that it can be done. I have just had my results for my 2nd year and have come out with a 2.1, which I am absolutely elated about, I never ever thought it possible given the little amount of time I for some assignments.

Best of luck.

Latest

Trending

Trending