The Student Room Group

Being on the pill

My doctor put me on Yasmin back in May, and I'm not sure about the long term effects. I had to be put on it, cause I've been taking my period since I was 10 and a half, and I'm 18 in October, and it's the most irregular, annoying b*tch ever. I take a pill each day for 21 days and then no pill for 7 days.
Is there a better pill I could be put on? Idk, my daddy doesn't even know I'm on the pill (I don't live with my mother; haven't seen her in 11 years) and trust me, there is only certain stuff you discuss with your dad.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Being on the pill will only disrupt the regularity of your menses even more. Get a blood test and see if you have a hormone imbalance that's causing the severe PMS symptoms. Folic acid can help with this, and so can estrogen - but you need to be sure whether estrogen dominance is causing your problem before you start taking supplements, so get a blood test and try to get off the pill.
Reply 2
Original post by Petulia
Being on the pill will only disrupt the regularity of your menses even more. Get a blood test and see if you have a hormone imbalance that's causing the severe PMS symptoms. Folic acid can help with this, and so can estrogen - but you need to be sure whether estrogen dominance is causing your problem before you start taking supplements, so get a blood test and try to get off the pill.

4 years ago they took my blood and found that apart from my iron levels being way above the norm they was no answers to my irregular periods. It's such a pain.
Reply 3
Original post by CescaD96
4 years ago they took my blood and found that apart from my iron levels being way above the norm they was no answers to my irregular periods. It's such a pain.

Above normal iron levels? That's strange since most females with irregular periods have low iron levels. Have you read up on PCOS symptoms? (hirsutism, acne, irregular menses, gaining weight very easily etc). The only reason I'm against the pill is because of all the problems you have once you come off e.g acne breakouts, irregular periods, fertility problems in the long term.
Try to slowly come off the pill and try folic acid supplements (it's a dietary supplement given to pregnant women but everyone needs a certain amount of it anyway). I've been taking them for my acne but they've also calmed down my hormones in terms of emotions, but I'm not sure how they'll affect my period yet. It won't hurt to try, and also watch out for the foods that make your cramps or flow worse all of a sudden because lots of females have particular foods that trigger more bleeding and pain.
Reply 4
Are your periods still irregular now you're on Yasmin? Because there's several other pills you can try. I started taking the pill for heavy, irregular periods and it's always worked well for me.
Reply 5
Original post by Petulia
Above normal iron levels? That's strange since most females with irregular periods have low iron levels. Have you read up on PCOS symptoms? (hirsutism, acne, irregular menses, gaining weight very easily etc). The only reason I'm against the pill is because of all the problems you have once you come off e.g acne breakouts, irregular periods, fertility problems in the long term.
Try to slowly come off the pill and try folic acid supplements (it's a dietary supplement given to pregnant women but everyone needs a certain amount of it anyway). I've been taking them for my acne but they've also calmed down my hormones in terms of emotions, but I'm not sure how they'll affect my period yet. It won't hurt to try, and also watch out for the foods that make your cramps or flow worse all of a sudden because lots of females have particular foods that trigger more bleeding and pain.

I know what you mean. I was so against going on the pill, but my doctor said it would help with my really bad back acne (and it hasn't.) They found my iron levels odd but they didn't look any further into it and put my irregular periods down to family history. I've looked at foods, and nothing triggers it.
I take Zelleta and that bitch makes me have a period every two weeks. **** that. Would not recommend.
Reply 7
Original post by syrettd
Are your periods still irregular now you're on Yasmin? Because there's several other pills you can try. I started taking the pill for heavy, irregular periods and it's always worked well for me.

My current strip is meant to end on Tuesday and then I am meant to get my time 4 days after. I doubt it'll happen. My PMS pain has increased though. Ugh.

Original post by Holby_fanatic
I take Zelleta and that bitch makes me have a period every two weeks. **** that. Would not recommend.

Holy sh*t, that sounds bad. I'll definitely avoid that!
Reply 8
My current strip is meant to end on Tuesday and then I am meant to get my time 4 days after. I doubt it'll happen. My PMS pain has increased though. Ugh.

First pill I tried, which I occasionally go back to, was a dianette called co-cyprindiol. I was put on this, not just for my periods, but also for bad acne- which you mention you suffer from in an earlier post. It might be worth you asking your doctor about this pill.
Reply 9
Original post by syrettd
First pill I tried, which I occasionally go back to, was a dianette called co-cyprindiol. I was put on this, not just for my periods, but also for bad acne- which you mention you suffer from in an earlier post. It might be worth you asking your doctor about this pill.

I think I will cause my acne has got worse and I have a wedding in September and my formal in November.
I think I will cause my acne has got worse and I have a wedding in September and my formal in November.

Yeah, definitely ask them about whether it's a good option for you. Also slightly off topic but my brother had bad back acne and he was prescribed zineryt. Only thing that worked for him. It's this kind of liquid thing you rub on to your skin, and it doesn't stain clothes or bed sheets like all the other stuff he got prescribed.
Reply 11
Original post by syrettd
Yeah, definitely ask them about whether it's a good option for you. Also slightly off topic but my brother had bad back acne and he was prescribed zineryt. Only thing that worked for him. It's this kind of liquid thing you rub on to your skin, and it doesn't stain clothes or bed sheets like all the other stuff he got prescribed.

I've not heard of that stuff and I've tried a lot, with nothing working, so I'll ask about that, thank you!
I'm on Microgynon 30... No side-effects that I can tell, it's regular and shortened and gets rid of the pain.
Reply 13
Original post by TakashiLaSkunk
I'm on Microgynon 30... No side-effects that I can tell, it's regular and shortened and gets rid of the pain.

Thanks:smile: so how long does it last for? My time is always 7 days.
You're off for 7, but the actual period lasts around 3-4 for me
Currently I'm off for 7 on Yasmin but still get 7 and I have to end up starting my new strip of pills on my last 4 days
Original post by syrettd

How did you find the Dianette for your acne? I'm currently on my 7 day break of month two and really desperate for results soon. So fed up of this persistent awful skin :frown: Have seen people have such amazing results from this pill
Original post by Dianetteuser
How did you find the Dianette for your acne? I'm currently on my 7 day break of month two and really desperate for results soon. So fed up of this persistent awful skin :frown: Have seen people have such amazing results from this pill

That's the reason I use it. My doctor prefers me being on Microgynon 30, but if I get stressed or something happens that means I get another acne problem, she's happy to put me on the dianette again for several months. Give it time, but maybe also ask your doctor about zineryt, if you haven't tried it already, for acne. It's a liquid kind of thing and should work within weeks.
Being on the pill to treat period problems does not treat the underlying cause, it just covers it up. I would come off the pill, and go back to your doctor and ask for blood tests and to be referred to a gynecologist to look into why your periods are irregular
Original post by syrettd
That's the reason I use it. My doctor prefers me being on Microgynon 30, but if I get stressed or something happens that means I get another acne problem, she's happy to put me on the dianette again for several months. Give it time, but maybe also ask your doctor about zineryt, if you haven't tried it already, for acne. It's a liquid kind of thing and should work within weeks.

Original post by syrettd

Ah yeah- i used Zineryt for a few months. However, i found it very drying and in the end decided i just wanted to find something to give me some relief internally. Thanks for the advice though. Had really good skin for the past couple of weeks, however i've just broke out really really badly. About 10 days into month 3, is this normal to still be breaking out occasionally?

Thanks so much for your reply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest