The Student Room Group

Hilary Clinton's chance at US presidency?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Old_Simon
It has been alleged that President Sarkozy of France accepted 40 million pounds for his "election campaign" from Colonel Gaddafi". I think Blair drank at the same trough. They all suck.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carla Bruni was his payment for being a puppet...
[h="1"]“Women have always been the primary victims of war. Women lose their husbands, their fathers, their sons in combat.” - Hilary Clinton[/h]That is not the sort of person I would want leading Britain. So I don't think the Americans are going to vote for her if she does indeed run.
My name is Hilary, her name is Hillary.
What's so special about that old woman? She could become a superwoman?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 24
I think it's awful seeing what a stupid old bat she is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Don't really care. Sure it's nice if a women can potentially become president. It was good when a black man become president, didn't change the fact he was a horrible neocon though.

Both men and women can race to the bottom on equal footing. True equality.

Whilst being in the political establishment of a country that supplies weapons to brutal dictators that shoot said women and children. She's as bad as the rest of them.

I completely agree with this. As a woman I think it's important that more women occupy positions of power, yet what I value over the gender of the individual is their actions and the ideologies which they espouse. I would prefer a male president who rejected neoliberal politics than a female who simply perpetuates dominant ideology.
Reply 26
I don't trust her.
If she is elected I bet old Bill won't be allowed any where near the interns :wink:
She'll probably win, though I suspect there'll be little real enthusiasm.
Original post by lilypear
I think it's a really nice thought that Hilary is running for Presidency in the next election, but will it provide more equality between males and females in important roles?

Are you stupid? you want her to win for the sake of equality?

I rather someone win because they are good at the job not because they have a vagina!
Original post by anarchism101
She'll probably win, though I suspect there'll be little real enthusiasm.

Despite the fact there's not much more political difference between the parties than the UK, the US electorate seems much more enticed by an election than the general apathy in the UK. Perhaps because the state division means less swing states/constituencies than the UK (easier to focus on 10 and make it exciting than 200 in England) or perhaps because its presidential. Equally it could be the extremism of the Tea Party that drives a higher vote although I suspect most Ukip voters won't turn out (if only to keep Labour out without backing the Tories).
Original post by Rakas21
Despite the fact there's not much more political difference between the parties than the UK, the US electorate seems much more enticed by an election than the general apathy in the UK. Perhaps because the state division means less swing states/constituencies than the UK (easier to focus on 10 and make it exciting than 200 in England) or perhaps because its presidential. Equally it could be the extremism of the Tea Party that drives a higher vote although I suspect most Ukip voters won't turn out (if only to keep Labour out without backing the Tories).

I'm not saying there can't be enthusiasm in US politics - just look at Obama in 2008 - but considering the vast bulk of that had died down by 2012, I find it difficult to believe that Hilary can mobilise the same amount of active support considering she came second to Obama last time round.

She'll still pick up the votes, but grudgingly and mostly out of being the 'lesser evil', especially if the GOP run an extreme candidate.
I can't stand hilary clinton - I think she's an even bigger hypocrite than obama, and that means a lot
but you just know that, after the last 2 terms of 'presidential tokenry', hillary binton is bound to be a shoe-in
and I didn't mean to say that just because she literally had a shoe thrown at her on stage
hilary clinton represents the future's hopelessness - nobody can name one positive thing about what she has done
yet they'll say she is the best candidate, *of course* not because she's a woman, *of course* not.
and the fact that she repreatedly tries to lie about not being a multi-millionaire...stupid rodent of a politician.
and the fact that she continues to help enforce a drug war that she by-passed when she was younger with her husband? they're both a load of stupid arrogant punks.
and the fact that she named her new book "difficult choices" is so unapologetically the language of a career politician it's agonising
I'm not saying she's terrible because she's a woman; obviously there are a whole range of terrible woman politicians, especially the republicans, but jesus christ, what a society we live in, where the only women in politics are either deranged fundamentalist christians (e.g. palin, bachman, etc), or an elitist two-faced lying hag - women of america be not proud.
(edited 9 years ago)
Republican party need to learn away from the far right ASAP if they want to have any chance of winning, regardless of whether Hillary is the Dem nominee or not.

If she is, she has good chances of winning.
Reply 34
In much the same way as Barack Obama was a poor choice as the first black president because he clearly doesn't give a damn about the poorest in the United States, a category in which African Americans are overrepresented, Hilary Clinton will be a disaster for equality.

She won't just be a disaster for gender equality. Certainly she falls into the same camp as Harman, wittering on about women being discriminated against in the developed world because they earn less just because they take career breaks, are overrepresented in the public sector and tend to be part time (oh, the indignity!) whilst happily supporting governments that exploit and bomb the **** out of the developing world, leading to some horror stories about the lives of women in these war torn countries. So she will be a disaster for gender equality. But she, being quite old, also won't give a damn about young people either, like most of our aging politicians.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hiliary Clinton is just the same brand of politician as all of them in the US. A complete corporate drone who is a suck up to Wall Street, i.e another Obama. But Hiliary would be a lot better than the Republican nutcase she will end up facing. Wont be any truly good candidates until special interests can't buy politicians and elections any more
Original post by MattBerry96
But Hiliary would be a lot better than the Republican nutcase she will end up facing. Wont be any truly good candidates until special interests can't buy politicians and elections any more

Not necessarily. Chris Christie, if he goes for it, wouldn't be a bad shout at all.
Original post by Drewski
Not necessarily. Chris Christie, if he goes for it, wouldn't be a bad shout at all.

Yeah that is true, he is probably the best of the potential Republican candidates but I really can't see him getting the nomination as he seems to be in a scandal every week and is the establishment candidate for the Republican's, much like Romney was. He also appears to be very dodgy with the bridge closures and the Sandy relief funds
Original post by MattBerry96
Yeah that is true, he is probably the best of the potential Republican candidates but I really can't see him getting the nomination as he seems to be in a scandal every week and is the establishment candidate for the Republican's, much like Romney was. He also appears to be very dodgy with the bridge closures and the Sandy relief funds

No more or less dodgy than any politician. He's popular, the rest doesn't matter.
Original post by Drewski

He's really quite conservative, his claim to being a moderate only stems from pragmatism and being seen with Obama.

Castro vs Bush for me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending