The Student Room Group

Friends bugging me about my degree result

Right so I received my degree classification recently , two days ago. Unfortunately it is 2.2 and I am totally gutted. :frown: our results were available 9am on the day and Since then my two close friends (on same course) have been texting me like crazy to know my module results. They already know I got a 2.2 because our uni publishes results on the portal but module marks are not known.I really don't feel like discussing my marks when I know one has got a first and the other has a high 2.1 but they won't let go and keep texting ' come on tell me your marks in xxx and xxx. I have quite a few missed calls as well.

Today my friend text me saying I thought we were good friends and I trust you with everything and you can't even tell your marks.
What to do ? I don't think I'm being unreasonable because I really don't want to discuss marks :s-smilie:

Scroll to see replies

if you don't want to then don't!! if they were your actual friends they wouldn't hassle you when you clearly don't want to discuss it
Reply 2
Bugging?
Reply 3
These sorts of people are so damn annoying. People seem to think that grades can't ever be a sort of private thing to people. I've found that a lot of the times, it's people asking to see whether someone ELSE did bad, rather than genuine curiosity.

You don't owe them anything OP.
Original post by Anonymous
Right so I received my degree classification recently , two days ago. Unfortunately it is 2.2 and I am totally gutted. :frown: our results were available 9am on the day and Since then my two close friends (on same course) have been texting me like crazy to know my module results. They already know I got a 2.2 because our uni publishes results on the portal but module marks are not known.I really don't feel like discussing my marks when I know one has got a first and the other has a high 2.1 but they won't let go and keep texting ' come on tell me your marks in xxx and xxx. I have quite a few missed calls as well.

Today my friend text me saying I thought we were good friends and I trust you with everything and you can't even tell your marks.
What to do ? I don't think I'm being unreasonable because I really don't want to discuss marks :s-smilie:

At least you got something......i failed :frown:
Well how do you and your two "best" friends even go to the same uni and do the same course. I would want my space. Don't let them get to you is the best thing you can do and move away from them.
its your results, unless you feel comfortable telling them then don't bother. the same thing happened to me in my GCSE results and stuff. Just leave it and say that "its gone ok. could have done better but its done.".
Also, a 2:2 aint bad. You should be proud of it as you worked extremely hard regardless of what result you got.
Reply 7
I don't think it's legal for your uni to publish your results like that.
You should at least let them know you're not happy!

You're also in the wrong here by staying silent
Reply 9
Original post by Jam'

It's available only to others on the same course
Original post by Jam'

I believe that's incorrect. It's not illegal at all.
First of all be proud of your result. It's still an honours degree and that's more than what some people have.

Also tell your friends to mind their own business. If they're real friends they'll drop it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
If they're good friends, they would stop pestering you about your degree classification.
No matter what, you still did a good job. Some people aren't able to graduate at all, so be proud of yourself for at least being able to do that. Also, I find that people who ask about grades are usually doing so to compare and make themselves better or to see who has failed. It's not a good feeling and I don't understand why people do that, all you can do is not show them and you don't have to, it's your grade. Do what makes you comfortable.
"I'm you're friend thus I can blackmail you with this fact to get the information I want out of you"

They don't sound too friendly to me.
I can understsand how you feel... :s-smilie: What degree was it?
Keep doing what you're doing and ignore them. Just focus your energy on finding a job. You could even tell them "it's in the past, it has nothing to do with you, how will knowing my results affect your life?"

Also OP - seriously don't worry about the 2.2. I got the same grade 2 years ago from uni, and 2 weeks later, I had a job in finance. (I said I graduated with honours, and they didn't even ask my grade). 2 years on, I have moved out of my parents house and standing on my own two feet.

My best friends from uni - got a first and 2.1. The girl who got a first took 1 year to find a job after struggling. The girl who has 2.1 I think now wants to apply for JSA two years on - she gets interviews but no one will hire her. The first girl didn't speak to me for a while and now does. The second girl has stopped speaking to both of us, because she feels left behind that we have continued with our lives and she is stuck.

Both of them took the piss at my 2.2 degree.
Tell them that if they're your 'good' friends then they should respect the fact that you don't want to speak about it.
They are being incredibly rude and insensitive. Tell them that you aren't comfortable discussing it and that having the subject brought up is upsetting for you. A good friend should understand when you need space and privacy and they should respond supportively not with emotional blackmail.
Reply 18
Original post by stargirl63
Keep doing what you're doing and ignore them. Just focus your energy on finding a job. You could even tell them "it's in the past, it has nothing to do with you, how will knowing my results affect your life?"

Also OP - seriously don't worry about the 2.2. I got the same grade 2 years ago from uni, and 2 weeks later, I had a job in finance. (I said I graduated with honours, and they didn't even ask my grade). 2 years on, I have moved out of my parents house and standing on my own two feet.

My best friends from uni - got a first and 2.1. The girl who got a first took 1 year to find a job after struggling. The girl who has 2.1 I think now wants to apply for JSA two years on - she gets interviews but no one will hire her. The first girl didn't speak to me for a while and now does. The second girl has stopped speaking to both of us, because she feels left behind that we have continued with our lives and she is stuck.

Both of them took the piss at my 2.2 degree.

They must be pretty clever though
stargirl63,
please can you give some information on how you got your Job? I just graduated with a 2:2 in biomedical science and i dont know what to do. please help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending