The Student Room Group

Lets settle this: A levels vs btecs

leave your experiences and opinions :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

What you really meant is, 'Let's all have a fight because I'm bored.'
Original post by DAtgirlxox

there is nothing to settle lol...everyone knows that a C in the easiest A-level is better than a distinction star in the hardest BTEC
Reply 3
Depends on the persons style of learning. I suppose you could argue A levels since all universities accept them.

But its depressing to see that many tsr people seem to think that if your doing a btec, the only universities that will take you, are ones like London met.

Difference between them are way overemphasised
(edited 9 years ago)
Please, not this again...

Can we not just settle for them being 'incomparable' and all get along?
They are different qualifications that have different purposes, they shouldn't be graded on the same scale.

A levels are mostly for further studying whereas BTECs are mostly focused towards vocational work (not to say someone with BTECs can't go to uni or vice versa though)

I wonder how many people on here slagging off BTECs have actually done one...?

Edit - Will quote every stupid post in here along with an appropriate facepalm smiley

Original post by gideon123
there is nothing to settle lol...everyone knows that a C in the easiest A-level is better than a distinction star in the hardest BTEC

:facepalm2:

Original post by nataliet97
Let's just say there is a big difference between the laid-back BTEC life and the 24/7 stressful life of an A level student...

:facepalm2:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 6
My school don't even offer BTECs (only 1 at GCSE and it's taught after school hours at the local FE college) but my sister's school does and she'll be doing Hospitality for A Level. Isn't it hands-on practical subjects that are mostly BTEC? Lol, my school focuses on the academics
Reply 7
You can still get into the likes of UCL with btecs, but you need D*D*D*, whereas the A Level requirement for the same course is usually AAB. So, if you're aiming for university, then A Levels are probably easier and a better option because you've more chance of being accepted.
BTECs are mainly there to help students who want to go straight into work after college, hence why BTECs such as Hair & Beauty and Bricklaying exist.
Reply 8
I was a BTEC student myself and I agree that A Levels are harder and more valuable to have when applying to university and getting a job. However I find that BTEC's you have to work for the entire 2 years to get a decent grade and A levels are much more lax because you can just pay attention during classes and a month before the exams you just study like mad to achieve a decent grade.
I would say A-levels are much more difficult than BTECs. Lots of fairly average/low intelligence people have left the local college with DDD (equivalent to three As). From what I can gather they went clubbing quite frequently in the year and didn't really do much studying. At the Sixth Form I attend, only the really exceptional people who work intensely hard end up with 3 As.

In my opinion, they are not the same. I could quite easily complete coursework in maths, but doing an exam under timed conditions is much more difficult.

It's dependent on what you want to go on to study. If you want to go to Uni, you won't be experienced with more difficult exams (GCSE exams are incomparable).
LOL is this for reals?

A friend of mine compared my AS Level Maths to the difficultly of Level 3 Health and Social Care...
She's no longer my friend and I shall say no more.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by EverybodyHertz
LOL is this for reals?

A friend of mine compared my AS Level Maths to the difficultly of Level 3 Health and Social Care...

You start your post by saying a friend of mine, then by the end she is no longer your friend? That was quick :eek:
Original post by EverybodyHertz
LOL is this for reals?

AS Maths is a piece of piss.
Original post by David B
You start your post by saying a friend of mine, then by the end she is no longer your friend? That was quick :eek:

Haha, she still is a friend :smile:
Original post by addylad
AS Maths is a piece of piss.

Confirmed.
Reply 15
Can someone tell me what BTECs are like? My little sister is due to start one in September but I know no one who does them, so she is no help, and I've always wondered; my school doesn't offer them, as I've mentioned above.
Original post by DAtgirlxox

My experience is that people will never agree on this as they are different qualifications altogether, with different purposes.

My opinion is that you are deliberately baiting people, and that you are a troll in disguise.
Original post by CescaD96
Can someone tell me what BTECs are like? My little sister is due to start one in September but I know no one who does them, so she is no help, and I've always wondered; my school doesn't offer them, as I've mentioned above.

I did them and they are basically all coursework based. A level 3 BTEC has a total of 18 units, 9 each year totalling 2 years and you just complete assignments based on that particular unit. You are then graded on that assignment with either Pass, Merit or Distinctions. If you have enough Distinctions you achieve Distinctions*. They are usually 2 - 4 assignments per a unit and can vary in size and difficulty depending on the course and what area you are studying.
Original post by CescaD96
I did them and they are basically all coursework based. A level 3 BTEC has a total of 18 units, 9 each year totalling 2 years and you just complete assignments based on that particular unit. You are then graded on that assignment with either Pass, Merit or Distinctions. If you have enough Distinctions you achieve Distinctions*. They are usually 2 - 4 assignments per a unit and can vary in size and difficulty depending on the course and what area you are studying.
Reply 19
Original post by David B

Ah, so only more work than the GCSE equivalent BTECs. I did Level 2 Engineering at GCSE (outside of school) and that was 4 units in one year. Is it true that exams are being made for btec?

Quick Reply

Latest