The Student Room Group

5 AS - too much?

First time posting on here, but here we go... Okay, so next year (providing results day goes well and I'm not sitting in a corner crying still) I will be doing English lit, History, Creative Writing, Latin, and G&P as a fifth (may drop it, will see how it goes). So, to anyone with experience, do you think the workload is going to be insane, or is doing 5 AS manageable? Cheers guys.
Why ?
Original post by z1ggystardust
First time posting on here, but here we go... Okay, so next year (providing results day goes well and I'm not sitting in a corner crying still) I will be doing English lit, History, Creative Writing, Latin, and G&P as a fifth (may drop it, will see how it goes). So, to anyone with experience, do you think the workload is going to be insane, or is doing 5 AS manageable? Cheers guys.

People have done more, and on shorter time-frames. But people also do worse, with fewer subjects.

It really depends. Did you sail through GCSEs? Get all A*s? If so, then it won't really be hard.

Conversely, if you had to put in a lot of effort during GCSEs, then I'd imagine it might be a bit of a struggle.
Creative writing is not a respected A-level, and it is pointless doing it when you're already going to take English lit, history and politics. Stick with 4 and cut the creative writing which you don't need and will be a waste of your time.
Very similar to my AS subjects - I've just sat my AS exams in English Lit, History, Psychology, G&P and Creative Writing. I took Creative Writing as an additional AS and the small group of us doing it only had one 30 minute session per week; we didn't even have timetabled lessons. I found the workload perfectly manageable as there is basically no work required for Creative Writing - you certainly don't have any revision to do for the exam, so that's straightforward, and the coursework isn't that much either.

You should be fine - the workload is really not that much more than someone taking four subjects. I'd recommend you do Creative Writing as the 'extra' though, instead of G&P - G&P is more academic and so valued more by unis. I only took Creative Writing as I want to study English (and History) at uni, so it gives me an additional bonus. I didn't treat CW as being as important as any of my other four subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Groundearth
Creative writing is not a respected A-level, and it is pointless doing it when you're already going to take English lit, history and politics. Stick with 4 and cut the creative writing which you don't need and will be a waste of your time.

I found it to be a fun extra; it's not worth doing as one of your four main subjects, but if you enjoy English and writing generally then it will feel more like a fun hobby. Granted, unis won't care about it, but it won't do any harm having it as an additional subject.
Reply 6
There's no problem taking 5 at the beginning at all and if you find the workload comfortable, then that's cool too.

Gives you more freedom to drop subjects if you find that you actually hate it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by perflous
I found it to be a fun extra; it's not worth doing as one of your four main subjects, but if you enjoy English and writing generally then it will feel more like a fun hobby. Granted, unis won't care about it, but it won't do any harm having it as an additional subject.

It will harm you if you spend too much time on it and take your focus away from the main subjects to work for it. People interested in creative writing should write creatively in their own time, without having to invest revision time into it. A hobby should be a hobby; in any A-level there are lots of hoops to jump through and I don't see much point in doing this when you don't need to. Well done if you managed it though and it didn't lower your other grades, but it will harm lot of other people :smile:
Original post by Groundearth
It will harm you if you spend time on it and take your focus away from the main subjects to work for it. People interested in creative writing should write creatively in their own time, without having to invest revision time into it. A hobby should be a hobby; in any A-level there are lots of hoops to jump through and I don't see much point in doing this when you don't need to. Well done if you managed it though and it didn't lower your other grades, but it will for a lot of other people :smile:

I'd generally agree, yeah, but we (and this is purely from experience) found it fine. It was just nice to have a technical qualification in something enjoyable that didn't cause stress as there was very little work involved. I do see your point though :smile:
Thanks for the replies - I did a hell of a lot of work for GCSEs (I left my house blyproba less than 10 times in over 3 months other than to go to school -_- ) but that was only to secure (hopefully) the best grades possible in subjects like Maths - going from pretty much a U to an A* in past papers showed that it sort of paid off. :cool: English, History and Latin were fine on the revision front (well I think they were!).
Which universities don't think much of CW? Admittedly it's in Cambridge's 'B' list (so is G&P), but speaking to someone from Oxford's English faculty the other day, they didn't seem to have a problem with it at all. It is something I'd be doing anyway, so the chance to do it and get a qualification in it is exciting.
At present I'm planning on taking English, History, Latin, and Creative Writing to A2.
(edited 9 years ago)
*probably even...
Thanks for the replies - I did a hell of a lot of work for GCSEs (I left my house blyproba less than 10 times other than to go to school -_- ) but that was only to secure (hopefully) the best grades possible in subjects like Maths - going from pretty much a U to an A* in past papers showed that it sort of paid off. :cool: English, History and Latin were fine on the revision front (well I think they were!).
Which universities don't think much of CW? Admittedly it's in Cambridge's 'B' list (so is G&P), but speaking to someone from Oxford's English faculty the other day, they didn't seem to have a problem with it at all. It is something I'd be doing anyway, so the chance to do it and get a qualification in it is exciting.
At present I'm planning on taking English, History, Latin, and Creative Writing to A2.

Universities won't care if you take it as an extra, they will care if you take it instead of a more challenging academic subject - offers from places like Cambridge will be made based on your three 'main' A2 subjects. If you take three A2 subjects, including CW, you're making a mistake.
It is significant that no explanation for these choices has been forthcoming. This is how young people these days advance themselves. They are not interest in any kind of dialogue.
I know it's perhaps not something that's considered the most academic, but that's why I've always been thinking of carrying on all my subjects (until I picked up Politics the other day - a last minute thing because of how my timetable's worked out) so with English, Latin, and History up to A2 with CW as well, I'm hoping I'll be okay.

I picked CW on the sole basis that it is something that I genuinely love and would be doing anyway - have been doing CW type things lunch-time/after school forever.

Right now, I'm just terrified for August 21st.... :s-smilie:
Original post by Old_Simon
It is significant that no explanation for these choices has been forthcoming. This is how young people these days advance themselves. They are not interest in any kind of dialogue.

Sorry - thought the 'why' was rhetorical, as in why would anyone want to put themselves through those subjects haha (have had that response from people doing sciencey stuff).

Those subjects are what I've chosen as they are my strengths, I genuinely enjoy them (even the revision to a certain extent), and I hope to go on to do either English or English and History at university.
Sorry - thought the 'why' was rhetorical, as in why would anyone want to put themselves through those subjects haha (have had that response from people doing sciencey stuff).

Those subjects are what I've chosen as they are my strengths, I genuinely enjoy them (even the revision to a certain extent), and I hope to go on to do either English or English and History at university.

Also, English lit and History are my absolute favourite subjects at school right now. Latin's well regarded and also a facilitating subject, it's quite enjoyable too. You could say CW is something of a passion of mine, and I've become pretty interested in Politics over the past few years. :smile:
I did 5 AS levels - Biology, Economics, English Lit, Government & Politics, and Psychology. I got 3 very strong As, 1 B and 1 C, but I completely regretted it. I guess if you do really well in all 5 subjects it will be a credit to you, but I felt that the C grade kind of marred my academic record, so I saw it as pointless. Also, my workload was a lot bigger than my friends' and I only had one free period a week, so for me personally, it was not worth taking 5 AS levels. That said, I know people who took 5 and aced them all, so there's no harm in trying, and dropping one subject if the work becomes too much.
Original post by 333allicsirp
I did 5 AS levels - Biology, Economics, English Lit, Government & Politics, and Psychology. I got 3 very strong As, 1 B and 1 C, but I completely regretted it. I guess if you do really well in all 5 subjects it will be a credit to you, but I felt that the C grade kind of marred my academic record, so I saw it as pointless. Also, my workload was a lot bigger than my friends' and I only had one free period a week, so for me personally, it was not worth taking 5 AS levels. That said, I know people who took 5 and aced them all, so there's no harm in trying, and dropping one subject if the work becomes too much.

Cheers for the reply. I'm willing to try it - I wasn't originally planning on taking 5, but due to how my timetable's worked out, I have a whole free block of lessons, so might be worth giving it a go. Can always back out if it gets too much! :smile:
Reply 18
Cheers for the reply. I'm willing to try it - I wasn't originally planning on taking 5, but due to how my timetable's worked out, I have a whole free block of lessons, so might be worth giving it a go. Can always back out if it gets too much! :smile:

Hay...!! congrats... gd attitude!!! determination is everything and just strive to get good... if you r willing to try then ur half way there.... Ive done 4 this year and also city and guilds food and nutrition and its been hard work... but in the end you enjoy it...
go for it and good luck :smile:
happy dayze
I had 5 ASs and got straight As it's not hard. It's not hard at all. Though I had maths f maths chem bio and physics. #boss

Quick Reply

Latest