The Student Room Group

Lets settle this: A levels vs btecs

Scroll to see replies

I did a combination of BTEC and A Level and I can say honestly that A Level is much better/harder than BTEC.
Original post by CescaD96
Ah, so only more work than the GCSE equivalent BTECs. I did Level 2 Engineering at GCSE (outside of school) and that was 4 units in one year. Is it true that exams are being made for btec?

A BTEC at College or Sixth form is alot more work than a BTEC at GCSE. I vaguely remember someone saying something about some BTECs having exams eventually but I don't know whether this is true or not.
Reply 22
Original post by David B
A BTEC at College or Sixth form is alot more work than a BTEC at GCSE. I vaguely remember someone saying something about some BTECs having exams eventually but I don't know whether this is true or not.

See, my sister told me they brought in an exam for BTEC science at gsce
Why is this even a question?
Original post by rdknighton

Because it has an answer.
Reply 25
Original post by rdknighton

Original post by David B
Because it has an answer.

Shots fired. :smile:
Boom :smile:.
I agree A-levels may be harder but for many who don't like coursework, BTEC can be hell!!!

Not sure about worth though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Let's just say there is a big difference between the laid-back BTEC life and the 24/7 stressful life of an A level student...
A levels are definitely harder, 2 of my best friends do btecs and they do nothing outside of college, playing on the xbox instead where as I was revising every day, always having something to do. Anyone who says that 3 D* are equivalent to 3 A's at A level is of their rocker tbh :P
Original post by nataliet97
Let's just say there is a big difference between the laid-back BTEC life and the 24/7 stressful life of an A level student...

This. I have done both BTEC Level 3 and A-levels at two different times. I was able to pass the BTECs having done literally about an hour's work outside of college the entire year and very little inside college.

At A-level I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics. AS was okay with moderate work put in. A2 was just constant full-tilt work for the entire year, with very very little free time to do something else. I can't really speak for other subjects, though.

A-levels are far, far more difficult. We can all argue over how effective each qualification is all we like, but that's just a fact. I genuinely feel sorry for the people who get suckered into the whole BTEC distinction = A level A* or whatever those pedalling the course harp on about. That's not how it works, and tbh the equivalences should be far more regulated to avoid people falling into the trap of thinking they can do medicine at uni with DDD (yes, I've met plenty of people under this impression)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by spleenharvester
This. I have done both BTEC Level 3 and A-levels at two different times. I was able to pass the BTECs having done literally about an hour's work outside of college the entire year and very little inside college.

At A-level I did Biology, Chemistry, Physics. AS was okay with moderate work put in. A2 was just constant full-tilt work for the entire year, with very very little free time to do something else. I can't really speak for other subjects, though.

A-levels are far, far more difficult. We can all argue over how effective each qualification is all we like, but that's just a fact. I genuinely feel sorry for the people who get suckered into the whole BTEC distinction = A level A* or whatever those pedalling the course harp on about. That's not how it works, and tbh the equivalences should be far more regulated to avoid people falling into the trap of thinking they can do medicine at uni with DDD (yes, I've met plenty of people under this impression)

Completely agree with you, it's the whole situation involving recalling and applying information/facts/cases etc under a pressurised environment under time constraints which, IMO, instantly makes a levels harder, due to the fact that you are tested rigorously rather than copy out of a textbook all lesson in btecs
Original post by neal95
Completely agree with you, it's the whole situation involving recalling and applying information/facts/cases etc under a pressurised environment under time constraints which, IMO, instantly makes a levels harder, due to the fact that you are tested rigorously rather than copy out of a textbook all lesson in btecs

Definitely. It's the "send your essay to your teacher and they can tell you what to change to get a distinction" part that gets me. Universities will never be able to respect that kind of assessment.
Original post by spleenharvester
Definitely. It's the "send your essay to your teacher and they can tell you what to change to get a distinction" part that gets me. Universities will never be able to respect that kind of assessment.

Precisely, it's basically spoon feeding information and it is no coincidence that many who study btecs fail to adequately cope with the complexity of university exams due to lack of previous exposure. Another point is that some careers, such as investment banking and commercial law, are pretty much out of bounds unless you can compensate massively in other areas if btecs are studied
Reply 33
BTEC's are necessary for vocational careers such as Catering and should not be looked down upon in this respect.

But of course A Levels are harder than BTEC's as you have to study properly and remember things. In BTEC's you can repeat assignments multiple times until you pass - you don't in my opinion, have the same work ethic unless you are serious about the subject.

The stupid thing about BTEC's at GCSE was that they were apparently equivalent to '2 GCSE's' which is a load of crap. I took a few BTEC's alongside GCSE's and was constantly being told this as reassurance for taking them.
A friend that was studying at university but decided to leave to pursue healthcare actually said she personally felt her BTEC studies were harder and more demanding than her degree.

For BTECs it all just comes down to the lecturers you're given. Her course had ex-midwifes, nurses and psychologists teaching her Level 3 so they were far harsher marking. BTEC studies are a lucky dip.

Original post by corax
But of course A Levels are harder than BTEC's as you have to study properly and remember things. In BTEC's you can repeat assignments multiple times until you pass - you don't in my opinion, have the same work ethic unless you are serious about the subject.

As I've said in the above, its a lucky dip. My friend was allowed two chances to achieve her grades and if she messed up her assignment second time around, she wasn't allowed to re-do it. Exactly like A-Level resits.
(edited 9 years ago)
For me personally, in my BTEC I would say they are harder for me because you have to so coursework constantly, essays and loads of worksheets and booklets etc, have it handed back to you and all of that, whereas in A Levels you listen in class, revise what you already know, do an exam and then wait for results. Although I'm fairly decent at essay writing and do it most the time on stuff not related to college in anyway, I'm much more suited to exams. BTECS just sound ****ter because it has courses like Hair & Beauty or whatever, and they don't have the same status but if your using it to get into uni also, as am I, then there's no reason why they're 'easier'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by paramedico
A friend that was studying at university but decided to leave to pursue healthcare actually said she personally felt her BTEC studies were harder and more demanding than her degree.

For BTECs it all just comes down to the lecturers you're given. Her course had ex-midwifes, nurses and psychologists teaching her Level 3 so they were far harsher marking. BTEC studies are a lucky dip.

As I've said in the above, its a lucky dip. My friend was allowed two chances to achieve her grades and if she messed up her assignment second time around, she wasn't allowed to re-do it. Exactly like A-Level resits.

I didn't know BTEC's were different at higher levels. That's a lot better.
Original post by paramedico

Except in A-level, you aren't given the same assignment back and told how you can improve it, is the problem.

Also, can't you decide to resit the entire BTEC year? I'm pretty sure the limit is only for the number of assignments you can do in a single year?
Reply 38
Original post by corax
BTEC's are necessary for vocational careers such as Catering and should not be looked down upon in this respect.

The stupid thing about BTEC's at GCSE was that they were apparently equivalent to '2 GCSE's' which is a load of crap. I took a few BTEC's alongside GCSE's and was constantly being told this as reassurance for taking them.

I got told that my BTEC level 2 engineering was worth 2 gcses, and I got D*, and UCAS has legitimately accepted it as part of my application this coming school year.
Reply 39
Original post by CescaD96
I got told that my BTEC level 2 engineering was worth 2 gcses, and I got D*, and UCAS has legitimately accepted it as part of my application this coming school year.

Accepted it in general or as two gcses?

Quick Reply

Latest