The Student Room Group

Do I have a shot with these gcse grades?

I plan on studying economics at university, I plan on applying to Nottingham, surrey, queens Mary, Bristol, ucl (if I do really good) and kent, I was wondering if I would have a chance of getting an offer as I have an A in biology and an A* in ict (my teacher told me it counts as 4 gcse's? I did the edexel course starting 2010) the rest are Bs :frown: do I have a chance even tho im predicted AAB for my a levels or maybe AAA idk yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your gcses are similar to mine and I got all my offers for economics from unis similar to yours. I got AAB at AS level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
Your gcses are similar to mine and I got all my offers for economics from unis similar to yours. I got AAB at AS level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Which unis did u apply for? I also have 2 extra AS's in economics and chemistry but at E grade so don't really count

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Sure. As long as you write a great personal statement and have excellent predictions, you should get an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chocfudge
Sure. As long as you write a great personal statement and have excellent predictions, you should get an offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That makes me feel better :smile: and are my predictions basically my as-level grades or?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Slim Shady 96
That makes me feel better :smile: and are my predictions basically my as-level grades or?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well, your teachers base your predictions on what you achieved in AS. So the better you do in AS, the higher your predictions for A2.

Some teachers are lenient and will predict some students B/A grades if they ended up getting a C (based on what they think a student's potential is).

However, some teachers may not predict higher than what you got in AS levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Well, your teachers base your predictions on what you achieved in AS. So the better you do in AS, the higher your predictions for A2.

Some teachers are lenient and will predict some students B/A grades if they ended up getting a C (based on what they think a student's potential is).

However, some teachers may not predict higher than what you got in AS levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh kinda stupid how teachers have so much control like you could just bumlick them all year and they're more probably to predict you higher but oh well hopefully I'll do good

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Ahh kinda stupid how teachers have so much control like you could just bumlick them all year and they're more probably to predict you higher but oh well hopefully I'll do good

Posted from TSR Mobile

You probably will :smile:
Good luck on results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Which unis did u apply for? I also have 2 extra AS's in economics and chemistry but at E grade so don't really count
Posted from TSR Mobile

In the end, Southampton, Exeter, Bristol, Surrey, Royal Holloway.

Chose Southampton and Surrey as my firm and insurance.

Since Econ is a popular course, majority of unis will make a lot more offers than they have places which can obviously help.
You probably will :smile:
Good luck on results day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks :smile: shall I try to get any work experience?? Like it's so hard for economics I've experience in retail and I worked in a surgery too but nothing else, I'm not really sure how my teachers would be in predicting grades like can you talk them into predicting you higher? Or by saying you'll resit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
In the end, Southampton, Exeter, Bristol, Surrey, Royal Holloway.

Chose Southampton and Surrey as my firm and insurance.

Since Econ is a popular course, majority of unis will make a lot more offers than they have places which can obviously help.

Ahh we've almost the same choices! What did you get predicted? And what about experience/activities? And what subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks :smile: shall I try to get any work experience?? Like it's so hard for economics I've experience in retail and I worked in a surgery too but nothing else, I'm not really sure how my teachers would be in predicting grades like can you talk them into predicting you higher? Or by saying you'll resit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

When I was doing my PS, I didn't mention any work experience so, no, you don't need to.

However, only mention work experience if you know you can relate it really well to an economics course.
I.e. what skills did you learn from retail/surgery work and how those skills will help you in studying an economics degree.

Don't just shove work experience in the PS for the sake of it.

Yeah. Go and talk to your teachers about predicting you higher if you need to meet the course entry requirements.

Unfortunately, with January retakes being scrapped, you won't be able to rely on saying you'll do retakes to boost your predicted grades as many students did in the past. The teachers won't be too convinced you'll be able to handle balancing retake exams with A2 exams in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 12
Ahh we've almost the same choices! What did you get predicted? And what about experience/activities? And what subjects?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got predicted A*AA (somehow, 0% chance that i was ever going to meet it)

I did economics, psychology & maths.

Regarding my statement, i think in my intro paragraph i mentioned 1 lecture (online). Second paragraph i mentioned my epq and an essay competition that i got mentioned in (somehow, that essay was trash). Third paragraph i mentioned 2 books which i tried to criticise and linked one to an essay that i wrote for another competition.

Extra curricular paragraph included a JPMorgan open day that i stumbled in, some economics club (which dissolved after a term - even i didnt want to go after the second session) and a gardening like club i was associated with (Hadnt been to a meeting since year 11)

Dont worry about work experience. Your not expected to have any.

Books / Online courses / Essays comp are your friend. You can do them at home without too much effort.
I'll have completed my a levels in 3 years rather than 2 because I'm re-sitting year 12 in a different sixth form so could I potentially lie about the stuff I've done eg economics club or being house captain? like there's no way they could know I was lying as I've done it on my old sixth form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer

Regarding my statement, i think in my intro paragraph i mentioned 1 lecture (online). Second paragraph i mentioned my epq and an essay competition that i got mentioned in (somehow, that essay was trash). Third paragraph i mentioned 2 books which i tried to criticise and linked one to an essay that i wrote for another competition.

Extra curricular paragraph included a JPMorgan open day that i stumbled in, some economics club (which dissolved after a term - even i didnt want to go after the second session) and a gardening like club i was associated with (Hadnt been to a meeting since year 11)

Books / Online courses / Essays comp are your friend. You can do them at home without too much effort.

I really wanted to go to that JPMorgan thing but missed out, any books you could recommend me?? & how i could say they link in to daily life? I've a similar structure too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
When I was doing my PS, I didn't mention any work experience so, no, you don't need to.

However, only mention work experience if you know you can relate it really well to an economics course.
I.e. what skills did you learn from retail/surgery work and how those skills will help you in studying an economics degree.

Don't just shove work experience in the PS for the sake of it.

Yeah. Go and talk to your teachers about predicting you higher if you need to meet the course entry requirements.

Unfortunately, with January retakes being scrapped, you won't be able to rely on saying you'll do retakes to boost your predicted grades as many students did in the past. The teachers won't be too convinced you'll be able to handle balancing retake exams with A2 exams in the summer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll try to persuade them lol wish me luck aha for my work experience I could just say communication and management skills for the retail and surgery thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer

A*AA is great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
I really wanted to go to that JPMorgan thing but missed out, any books you could recommend me?? & how i could say they link in to daily life? I've a similar structure too :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would just look around your school / local library for any interesting economic books. Obviously try to refrain from the very common ones such as the rational optimist. If your wondering i picked the 'Darwin economy' (extremely tedious i found) and 'Bad Money' which was by coincidence, about the US financial crisis - wrote an essay on this topic, so i could just say that reading this book kinda 'inspired' me to write the essay lol.

I just picked my books out my quick skims and the blurb.

There isnt really a correct/incorrect book you can go for. Try not go overboard with a really complex book, rather something fairly straight forward.

The main thing you probably need to do in your statement is to point out what the book was about ever so briefly and try find weaknesses in it.

Economics is everywhere, so pointing out how a book relates to xxx usually isnt tooooo difficult. You'll find loads of books writing on China, US, UK etc. You could also look for articles on newspapers/economist and try link it with books. I recall someone reading Soccernomics then relating it to an economist article, questioning whether Brazils huge public spending on the world cup will be sustainable or may end up like a Greece - that was really good!
If you meet the stated entry requirements then it's definitely worth you applying.

Do, however, be aware that your IT BTEC won't be regarded as equivalent to GCSEs by many of the unis you speak to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jkizer
I would just look around your school / local library for any interesting economic books. Obviously try to refrain from the very common ones such as the rational optimist. If your wondering i picked the 'Darwin economy' (extremely tedious i found) and 'Bad Money' which was by coincidence, about the US financial crisis - wrote an essay on this topic, so i could just say that reading this book kinda 'inspired' me to write the essay lol.

I just picked my books out my quick skims and the blurb.

There isnt really a correct/incorrect book you can go for. Try not go overboard with a really complex book, rather something fairly straight forward.

The main thing you probably need to do in your statement is to point out what the book was about ever so briefly and try find weaknesses in it.

Economics is everywhere, so pointing out how a book relates to xxx usually isnt tooooo difficult. You'll find loads of books writing on China, US, UK etc. You could also look for articles on newspapers/economist and try link it with books. I recall someone reading Soccernomics then relating it to an economist article, questioning whether Brazils huge public spending on the world cup will be sustainable or may end up like a Greece - that was really good!

Thank you so much :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending