The Student Room Group

What universities do you 'look down upon'?

Scroll to see replies

Unis outside the top 25
Original post by MichelBraga
I'm trying to guess where do you study based on your smugness... it can't be KCL, it would be funny, but your infant mental age combines with it tho.

Maybe LSE or UCL... Am I right?

Abusing me is a sign of your weakness
Original post by James222
Abusing me is a sign of your weakness

Hahahahah you are adorable!
Reply 123
Lincoln, anything that used to be a poly, and UNis that ask for ucas points or anything less than abb

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hahahahah you are adorable!

are you ok in the head ?
Imperial is not a top tier uni
period
are you ok in the head ?
period

Oh really? So please, enlighten me with your perspective, which ones are the top tier unis?
Oh dear, one of these vomit inducing threads

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ollierc
Lincoln, anything that used to be a poly, and UNis that ask for ucas points or anything less than abb

Posted from TSR Mobile

brb dentistry student at plymouth with A*A*A, AAA minimum entry
Whilst it is not right to 'look down' on various universities. It is fair to say that there are many universities (and many courses) that seem to have less value than other institutions.

For example is a degree in Media or Popular Music or Knitting from a 'Met' university really worthwhile? What is the point?

Whereas degrees from most top universities are worthwhile, especially in the more 'traditional' subjects. I know the league tables have faults but in general in it the same 10/12 universities that are at the top year on year - in all the various different versions of the league tables.

Therefore a degree in Maths from St. Andrews or English from Durham or Economics from Warwick are very worthwhile - and in the vast majority (not all) of cases the graduates from the top uni's get the best jobs - and go on to have influence in their chosen areas.

This is not being elitist it is being realistic.

IMO the UK 'Ivies' are (in no particular order!!) - Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Warwick, LSE, UCL, Imperial, Durham, Kings.
(edited 9 years ago)
University of East London would be a definite. It's reputation is appalling.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't look down at any universities (or won't openly express it).

I do look positively towards oxbridge, lse imperial ucl Warwick durham Edinburgh and St Andrews.

Im generally neutral to others.

Also I look positively towards specific subjects such as medicine, maths chemistry, physics and philosophy.
Reply 131
any university that has standards low enough to let me in
None. Everybody has their own opinions and people will go to/consider a uni because it is what they want to do.

All unis serve for the same purpose: to allow undergraduates and postgrads to obtain degrees in higher education. :smile:
are you ok in the head ?
period

Almost forgot about your nonsense talk, so, from your silence, I guess that you were rejected from Imperial. Still curious to know about your top tier unis..
(edited 9 years ago)
are you ok in the head ?
period

stop trolling please
Almost forgot about your nonsense talk, so, from your silence, I guess that you were rejected from Imperial. Still curious to know about your top tier unis..

I have a rule of not spending more than 2 days in a thread
Didnt even read the last one
I wouldn't look down on any Universities out of hand. For me it depends on the course and University combination. For example some people may look down on any University which is not RG, but then what about those reading Medicine at non-RG?

There are some howlers though: Baking Technology Management at London South Bank - http://www.lsbu.ac.uk/courses/course-finder/baking-technology-management-foundation-fdsc
I have a rule of not spending more than 2 days in a thread
Didnt even read the last one

Please shut up.
Coz its not a top tier uni
Its more Russell group, maybe 50 years ago it was top dog but modern british economy is all about health and finance

Last time I checked, Durham was in the top 5 in league tables consistently. You're talking rubbish.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Misovlogos
The New College of the Humanities, i.e. A.C. Grayling's experimental private undergraduate college, charging £18,000 per annum tuitions, copy & pasting University of London syllabi, and courting big-name academics in non-teaching posts.

This!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending