The Student Room Group

Further Mathematics with A at GCSE?

So I recently finished my GCSE exams and I think my maths didn't go too well (which I'm totally upset about :frown:)
I chose Maths,further maths,physics,chemistry and electronics at AS and I was wondering where I would be eligible to studyfurther maths as I was recommended to choose it next year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by gavss
So I recently finished my GCSE exams and I think my maths didn't go too well (which I'm totally upset about :frown:)
I chose Maths,further maths,physics,chemistry and electronics at AS and I was wondering where I would be eligible to studyfurther maths as I was recommended to choose it next year.

If I recall correctly, you can do further maths on the second year provided you have done AS maths.
Reply 2
Original post by gavss

Depends on entry requirements for your 6th Form/College :yep:
(Usually A/A* needed).
Original post by gavss

My school asks for an A* to do FM, but a friend of mine got an A, and was still allowed. It will most likely be down to how far from an A* you are and the number of students wanting to do FM. Talk to the head of maths at your school.
If you have struggled in any way with GCSE Maths, then I would recommend you don't do FM. If you are also doing Physics, Chemistry and Maths at As, which are all chunky specifications, then you are going to find it difficult to keep up with all 5 As Levels, let alone FM.
Reply 5
Original post by KaptainCliff
If you have struggled in any way with GCSE Maths, then I would recommend you don't do FM. If you are also doing Physics, Chemistry and Maths at As, which are all chunky specifications, then you are going to find it difficult to keep up with all 5 As Levels, let alone FM.

Not at all, GCSE maths was a breeze, however there were some aspects of this years exam which were more functional and ridiculous. As for physics and chemistry, I also found them extremely easy (hopefully A* in both). I thoroughly enjoy those subjects and I've already started with the sciences and maths (only C1 so far).
Reply 6
Original post by H0PEL3SS
My school asks for an A* to do FM, but a friend of mine got an A, and was still allowed. It will most likely be down to how far from an A* you are and the number of students wanting to do FM. Talk to the head of maths at your school.

What if the boundary was about 168 (A*) and I got 150ish?
Original post by gavss
What if the boundary was about 168 (A*) and I got 150ish?

In my view, that would be okay, but obviously, I can't speak for your school.
Talk to your head of maths, and ask them. If they are reluctant to let you on the course, tell them that you'd be willing to put a condition on it, i.e. in the first term you have to have an average of x% in all tests, or your progress grade for the first term has to be a B etc.
I'd take chemistry off if your not going to need it for your future job. I recommend 4 as levels not 5. 4 is hard hard hard enough.
In fairness, I don't think class size matters too much about eligibility for FM. I'm the only one doing FM at AS and A2, but then my teachers are really committed (and patient!).

Reply 10
In my view, that would be okay, but obviously, I can't speak for your school.
Talk to your head of maths, and ask them. If they are reluctant to let you on the course, tell them that you'd be willing to put a condition on it, i.e. in the first term you have to have an average of x% in all tests, or your progress grade for the first term has to be a B etc.

Well, I am planning to learn the first 2 modules of every subject this summer in order to decrease the workload later . By the time school starts, I would know FP1 good enough to do a past paper- an get a strong A (so far my lowest score for C1 is 80%) I don't know If the school is willing to suggest a condition because my math department know me pretty well that I get good grades but I'll give it a shot.
Original post by gavss
Well, I am planning to learn the first 2 modules of every subject this summer in order to decrease the workload later . By the time school starts, I would know FP1 good enough to do a past paper- an get a strong A (so far my lowest score for C1 is 80%) I don't know If the school is willing to suggest a condition because my math department know me pretty well that I get good grades but I'll give it a shot.

If you haven't finished C1, there's no way you'd be able to get an E in FP1!

FP1 requires a good understanding of C1 calculus, series and coordinate geometry. You're algebra needs to be flawless for Induction and Series manipulation, so to do a past paper by the end of Summer and get an A would be a true accomplishment.

I'd maybe just do complex numbers in FP1 over summer, as that is quite straight forward and doesn't require any C1 or C2 knowledge.

Pace yourself; don't rush FP1.
Reply 12
Original post by MathsMeister
I'd take chemistry off if your not going to need it for your future job. I recommend 4 as levels not 5. 4 is hard hard hard enough.

I find chemistry great, and I want to do engineering so I'm not sure that's an option
Original post by gavss

Don't start FP1, start C2.

I got an A at GCSE and A*A* at A-level in maths and further maths so it's definitely possible.
This is a matter to be discussed with your school - if they have entry requirements of A* and you don't get them, you wouldn't normally be allowed onto the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by KaptainCliff
If you haven't finished C1, there's no way you'd be able to get an E in FP1!

FP1 requires a good understanding of C1 calculus, series and coordinate geometry. You're algebra needs to be flawless for Induction and Series manipulation, so to do a past paper by the end of Summer and get an A would be a true accomplishment.

I'd maybe just do complex numbers in FP1 over summer, as that is quite straight forward and doesn't require any C1 or C2 knowledge.

Pace yourself; don't rush FP1.

I have finished C1 and I'm nearly finishing C2. I've been studying Fp1 and so far it's okay. Right now I would get a B in a past paper because I left the questions which I learnt... So an A is realistic...
Reply 16
Original post by Arithmeticae
This is a matter to be discussed with your school - if they have entry requirements of A* and you don't get them, you wouldn't normally be allowed onto the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Their requirement is at least a "high A grade"
Reply 17
Original post by Damask-

I got an A at GCSE and A*A* at A-level in maths and further maths so it's definitely possible.

Okay, I'm alsmost finishing C2 so I meant aswell.
Original post by gavss
Their requirement is at least a "high A grade"

Well then, if you don't get that, you won't be allowed onto the course. I suggest discussing what constitutes a "high A grade" with your school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Damask-

Okay, I'm almost finishing C2 so I might aswell

Quick Reply

Latest