The Student Room Group

Advice needed for Daughter applying to Uni

Hi I am looking for a little advice, My Daughter in wanting to go to Uni starting 2015 which I have no problem with at all, the problem starts with how it is all funded we have a household income of £70k per year so she is only entitled to the loans I have looked into all accommodation and living cost and so on and have worked it out that it will cost me round about 6K a year to send her.

So this is where is is difficult,,, I can not free up that kind of money at all so what am I to do? can we are parents refuse to support her ? meaning that more funds are available ? or do we have to just say sorry no you cant go ?

Any help and advice would be great.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
i think if you kick her out this year she will become independent and be entitled to the full student loan and grant. So far this is the only way i know of getting around the whole lack of funding for those with too much money so to speak! (you would need to read up on this more)
I strongly suggest she gets a summer job as working full time through the summer, along with about £150 per month from you (if possible) should cover her living costs for the year, and the loan received would hopefully just about cover the cost of accommodation. although, this is assuming she goes to a university in the north where living costs are pretty low.
hopefully somebody else will know of some other ways around this for you but this is the best advice i can give based on friends in similar situations.
It may be a good idea to speak to somebody possibly at you local citizens advice bureau as they may be able to give some guidance into how the student loans company operates and the legal side of things. Good Luck!
She can only be an independent student if she has completely lived separately and self-funded for three years or you are estranged from her. So it's a choice of finding the money, her having a part-time job, her being priced out of uni or you not ever seeing your daughter again...
Reply 3
Original post by pink1808
Hi I am looking for a little advice, My Daughter in wanting to go to Uni starting 2015 which I have no problem with at all, the problem starts with how it is all funded we have a household income of £70k per year so she is only entitled to the loans I have looked into all accommodation and living cost and so on and have worked it out that it will cost me round about 6K a year to send her.

So this is where is is difficult,,, I can not free up that kind of money at all so what am I to do? can we are parents refuse to support her ? meaning that more funds are available ? or do we have to just say sorry no you cant go ?

Thanks.

You find the money. She gets a part time job. Or maybe you say "no you can't go" and she has a temper tantrum, moves out, never speaks to you again, works for 3 years, and goes then.
A mate of mine is in a similar predicament. He's taking a gap year and has taken part-time work at a supermarket. When he does go to uni he can transfer his job to the local branch so he should still have a source of income. He's also planning on studying in his free time and retaking a couple of exams to up his grades a little before he heads off next year. Hope this helps?

Thanks.

On a household income that high you should be able to find some money (and I say that as someone coming from a family with a similar income) unless you have huge amounts of kids. Think about how much it costs you to keep her now: food, travel, holidays. Anything you spend on her. Surely you can give her at least that without losing out.
The fact is that when you're on that sort of income, you're expected by the student loan company to fund the difference. Whether or not this is fair is another matter, but that's the expectation.

An extra 6k a year seems excessive, though (unless it's in London). Has she picked the cheapest halls available? If not then definitely start looking at that. In certain cities halls can be had for less than 4k a year (for self-catered), so her loan should cover most of that and you'd just need to provide for food and 'extras'.
Reply 7

Thanks.

I apologise in advance for the lack of sympathy you are going to get on here. Most of these people live in a parallel universe where there is no taxation nor cost of living, and were brought up by impoverished but noble disabled single parent families.

Most people on TSR think that a household income of £70,000 means that you are regulalry snorting coke off the bonnet of your Ferrari, and pay someone to fish all the champagne corks and condoms out of your guitar-shaped swimming pool.
Original post by Clip
I apologise in advance for the lack of sympathy you are going to get on here. Most of these people live in a parallel universe where there is no taxation nor cost of living, and were brought up by impoverished but noble disabled single parent families.

Most people on TSR think that a household income of £70,000 means that you are regulalry snorting coke off the bonnet of your Ferrari, and pay someone to fish all the champagne corks and condoms out of your guitar-shaped swimming pool.

My dad earns roughly £70k and my mum doesn't work. They find money to pay for my accommodation and give me £1,500 a year (plus extra if I'm in need). They definitely don't struggle with this. In my first year they paid for my accommodation (£125 a week x 40 weeks), my brother's (admittedly cheaper) accommodation, his living costs and his £14k course. Although they couldn't afford an expensive holiday that year they never struggled and could definitely afford the luxuries most others couldn't. If you can't help out your kids on that much you either have too many kids or prefer your luxuries to your kids opportunities.
Reply 9
Original post by SmallTownGirl
My dad earns roughly £70k and my mum doesn't work. They find money to pay for my accommodation and give me £1,500 a year (plus extra if I'm in need). They definitely don't struggle with this. In my first year they paid for my accommodation (£125 a week x 40 weeks), my brother's (admittedly cheaper) accommodation, his living costs and his £14k course. Although they couldn't afford an expensive holiday that year they never struggled and could definitely afford the luxuries most others couldn't. If you can't help out your kids on that much you either have too many kids or prefer your luxuries to your kids opportunities.

It is so wrong to be telling other people how to meet their financial obligations like this.
Where are you looking, i.e. for costs? I imagine 6k can be cut back a bit by picking particular accommodations, if necessary. I guess she'll get in the region of £3.5k for loans [this is the base non-means tested rate, right? or is it lower?]. My university accommodation was very nice, and right now probably is up to about ~£5.2k over the year. That's a shortfall of about £1.7k. I've lived off my grant for the first two years (roughly ~£1000/year + £250 from university, self-catered) so let's add another 1.5k, looking at about 3.2k as a rough ball park that you need to make up. Round it to 3.5k for the sake of any other start up bits like textbooks. What am I missing, possibly other than slightly more expensive accommodation at other places? If there's a London issue then i'd probably try and speak to her about that to try elsewhere, as that's a major financial burden. It's not ideal, but luckily not every good university is in London.

Options to make things cheaper: living in the north [restricting, I realise], self-cater over catering and be smart, shared bathrooms rather than en-suites, avoid takeaways/regular binge drinking

As above, a job would be a good idea to start saving now.

There's no extra help available for you, as that sort of income means all bodies expect you to be able to provide support. It's a very general system. The universities basically take this information to allocate their scholarships and grants so when you're over the threshold there's nothing there to help.

With a loan, the accommodation payments usually come out in ~three batches. They're not all exactly equal due to the term length differences, but it does give you a longer period to stagger it over. Your daughter will get a loan payment in, and you'll just have to top it up to match the required amount then so we're looking more like slightly more manageable chunks.

The options on your end for getting the money when you need it are taking out a loan of some descript, that's really not ideal but if that salary is somewhat safe and it's more of a volume-of-money-in-short-time issue then maybe. I don't know, that's your call.
Original post by Clip
It is so wrong to be telling other people how to meet their financial obligations like this.

I was just showing you (since you ignored the fact I'd say my parents' earn similar money to the OP) that it is completely possible to find the money if you want to. It's just a matter of trying hard enough on that income.
Reply 12
Surely some of that will be covered by loans?
Has she applied for the cheapest accommodation?
Reply 13
I was just showing you (since you ignored the fact I'd say my parents' earn similar money to the OP) that it is completely possible to find the money if you want to. It's just a matter of trying hard enough on that income.

So inappropriate to be even discussing this.
Original post by Clip
So inappropriate to be even discussing this.

She asked for advice. I told her the truth. She doesn't like it - she can **** off.

Just because your parents earn similar money to the OP doesn't mean the advice you give them will work for them. The OP's parents may have higher expenses and therefore not have enough money left over to ensure the cost of their daughters accommodation and living costs is fully covered.

You've made the assumption that the situation is exactly the same for both you and the OP. When in most likelihood it will not be.
It is nobody's business to be telling the OP that she is not looking hard enough to find the money. You don't know her personal circumstances. She might live in an expensive part of the country and have a crippling mortgage. She might have elderly parents in a care home. There could be all sorts of reasons why finding the money to put a child through university will be a struggle. She hasn't asked for commentary on that, she's asked how other people manage it when money is tight. How about offering some actual help rather than just telling her she isn't trying hard enough?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Clip

Haha now that would be the easy life :smile: no its all down to hard work and paying alot of taxes :smile: and never getting help of the government, :0
Reply 19
On a household income that high you should be able to find some money (and I say that as someone coming from a family with a similar income) unless you have huge amounts of kids. Think about how much it costs you to keep her now: food, travel, holidays. Anything you spend on her. Surely you can give her at least that without losing out.

She cost me £34 bus pass, £50 pocket money, £10 phone bill and maybe £100 food (maybe) so no not really :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending