The Student Room Group

The Football League thread II

Scroll to see replies

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28129294

Swarm of Danes to come to Brentford? I'd say I hope this isn't like the Pozzos at Watford but somehow I really doubt it will be!
Original post by Jangrafess

Swarm of Danes to come to Brentford? I'd say I hope this isn't like the Pozzos at Watford but somehow I really doubt it will be!

English owners are so 2011.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you not want it like the Pozzo model? Aside from the massive rush of players in the first season (brought on by the fact that their was a transfer embargo until the day before the window closed, so everyone had to be brought in instantly) they have done nothing but secure the future of the club.

They have a keen interest and knowledge in footballing matters, as well as caring about the surrounding towns of their respective clubs, and being controlled by them forecasts a much brighter than nearly any previous Watford owner.
Original post by billybo_h
Why would you not want it like the Pozzo model? Aside from the massive rush of players in the first season (brought on by the fact that their was a transfer embargo until the day before the window closed, so everyone had to be brought in instantly) they have done nothing but secure the future of the club.

They have a keen interest and knowledge in footballing matters, as well as caring about the surrounding towns of their respective clubs, and being controlled by them forecasts a much brighter than nearly any previous Watford owner.

We'll just overlook the manipulation of the transfer market then. Can't believe multiple ownership is still allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Midlander
We'll just overlook the manipulation of the transfer market then. Can't believe multiple ownership is still allowed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can't argue there, multi-club ownership shouldn't be allowed. To be honest, the Pozzo clubs have mocked the FFP rules to ****.

But hey, at least our goalkeeper wasn't sacked because of his date of birth:

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/massimo-cellino-leeds-united-paddy-kenny

Glad to see the FA saw him as a fit and proper owner. :biggrin:
Original post by CraigWM
I can't argue there, multi-club ownership shouldn't be allowed. To be honest, the Pozzo clubs have mocked the FFP rules to ****.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/03/massimo-cellino-leeds-united-paddy-kenny

It's a quite obvious loophole that FIFA has to put a stop to. As for Cellino-that I would still swap Joy Seppala for him tells its own story. Bids accepted from Norwich and Bournemouth ( Jesus wept) for Callum Wilson-coming to a Championship ground near you next season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Manipulation is breaking no rules; and since the loophole has been closed they haven't tried to break it again.

The multiple ownership is a weird one as well, because they are not officially owned by the same people - as the clubs are separated amongst the family - but everyone knows that its still one man who has the final say.

Any club that offers any profits from shirt sales and friendlies to the Royal British Legion is being well run in my books - and that is all I could ask for.

Original post by CraigWM

Supposedly that has been denied by the club, and he hasn't actually been released yet.
Manipulation is breaking no rules; and since the loophole has been closed they haven't tried to break it again.

The multiple ownership is a weird one as well, because they are not officially owned by the same people - as the clubs are separated amongst the family - but everyone knows that its still one man who has the final say.

Any club that offers any profits from shirt sales and friendlies to the Royal British Legion is being well run in my books - and that is all I could ask for.

Supposedly that has been denied by the club, and he hasn't actually been released yet.

Watford can still get players for nothing when they shouldn't. It's your club so I can understand you being defensive but at the end of the day it creates an unfair advantage over clubs having to pay the going rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Watford can still get players for nothing when they shouldn't. It's your club so I can understand you being defensive but at the end of the day it creates an unfair advantage over clubs having to pay the going rate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'll be glad to know then that had we not got so many of these free players at once, we might've got promoted if the squad wasn't piled with Italians unfamiliar to the Championship.
Craig Bryson signs a new 5-year contract with us, rejecting moves to Burnley and QPR. Most of our key players are tied down to long contracts now, so all we need now is George Thorne and Andre Wisdom back, as well as a back-up winger and striker.

I've got such a good feeling about next season! :biggrin:
Original post by CraigWM
This. All Leeds have done football wise in the last two seasons is stop us getting auto promoted last season on the final day, which, despite their claims, was not down to their good football, more down to Almunia gettig injured in the warmup, and then their winger doing whatever the **** he did and injuring our second choice keeper, leaving our debutant third choice to **** up twice and let them win.

How was Almunia's injury Leeds' fault?
Original post by IMBCFC
Ross mccormack has given a transfer request !!! Our Leeds fans on here.....How much do you think he's worth and how do you think this will affect you as a club. My thoughts are he's worth around 8 million and Leeds will be able to pick up a decent striker or even better with massimo cellino in charge.

Apparently McCormack is staying now. £8mil would be a decent amount, but as always with Leeds our problems lie in defence not attack. We leak way too many goals.

Original post by sr90

I don't think he meant it like it was Leeds' fault Almunia was injured, more the fact that his injury meant the 2nd choice...then 3rd choice keeper had to play instead.
Original post by sr90

Never said it was. If he hadn't, the Leeds winger couldve broken whatever on him and we still would've had our second choice, and reliable, goalkeeper, and might've won.

What the others said about the manipulation of the transfer market really. Also, these aren't owners coming in, it's Brentford's owner branching out. Our future won't get any more secure because of this.
Original post by CraigWM
You'll be glad to know then that had we not got so many of these free players at once, we might've got promoted if the squad wasn't piled with Italians unfamiliar to the Championship.

Diddums.
Wilson sold to Bournemouth for £2.25m rising to £3m, 2 players coming our way on loan in exchange. Seems a rare example of a deal well negotiated by the club though it is one mighty piss take to see Bournemouth buying our best player!
What the others said about the manipulation of the transfer market really. Also, these aren't owners coming in, it's Brentford's owner branching out. Our future won't get any more secure because of this.

To be honest Jangra as long as the authorities are stupid enough to continue allowing multiple ownership I'd roll with it.
Diddums.

Its hard being Udinese B.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Big Reda Johnson the 5th man through the door in 3 days-no idea how Pressley is managing to convince people to join but long may it continue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Big Reda Johnson the 5th man through the door in 3 days-no idea how Pressley is managing to convince people to join but long may it continue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I was just about to post this. A lovely player and a cult hero at Hillsborough, his problems being his injury record which is worrying (I assume that is why you offered a one year deal to him) and his defensive issues in the championship. In league one he'll destroy it, expect 5-10 goals from a fit Reda.

Quick Reply

Latest