The Student Room Group

Access course

I am planning on doing the access course in social sciences at Calderdale college in Halifax. I'm just wondering if anyone on here has been to that college, and what they thought of it?

And has anyone on here gone through the access route to get into university? How did you find it?

And did you study social sciences?

I want to study psychology as a science rather than an art at university. Hopefully works out for me!
Reply 1
Hiya

I did a access to social welfare course this year. It was a massive eye opener and stressful but worth it. I enjoyed it massively and did really well. Also made some friends for life. I did mine in Swansea.

Im going to swansea uni in sept to do Law and Criminology. Applying for Uni is fine. Just make sure u write a brill personal statement. With my college we had to have the application for uni done by Dec so it could be sent off in January by the deadline. Hope your access course goes well and just remember to really keep on top of things coz it does get intense :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I did Access to Humanities in Swansea just completed and waiting for uni :smile:.

As the above mentioned applying to uni is a doddle. All you need to do is do a really strong personal statement that sells you really well. Also work on doing well in class so that your reference is good. By law they cannot say anything negative but it's what they don't put in that will give a negative impression.

The access course itself is really great. It prepares you perfectly for uni whilst giving you good grounding in a variety of subjects.

Also as the above poster mentioned be prepared. There was a period in about Jan-March when the workload and turnover was incredibly high. We'd have a topic say in English with an essay to do whilst starting a new subject whilst having three or four essays also due in in other subjects.

Attendance is also key as you can miss so much and fall behind.

Good luck and remember to enjoy it aswell as it's a great few months.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Tom_91
I did Access to Humanities in Swansea just completed and waiting for uni :smile:.

As the above mentioned applying to uni is a doddle. All you need to do is do a really strong personal statement that sells you really well. Also work on doing well in class so that your reference is good. By law they cannot say anything negative but it's what they don't put in that will give a negative impression.

The access course itself is really great. It prepares you perfectly for uni whilst giving you good grounding in a variety of subjects.

Also as the above poster mentioned be prepared. There was a period in about Jan-March when the workload and turnover was incredibly high. We'd have a topic say in English with an essay to do whilst starting a new subject whilst having three or four essays also due in in other subjects.

Attendance is also key as you can miss so much and fall behind.

Good luck and remember to enjoy it aswell as it's a great few months.

Hello fellow Swansea Student!

Which college did you go to? I went tycoch :smile: yes make sure your attendance is really good also because missing lessons can make an impact. I only missed a couple and by god it done my head in lol! Trying to make sure i had all the info i needed for any essays etc. Come may on my course i was flat out. In a space of 2weeks i had 3 exams, a 5000 word project to finish and a presentation. That was the most stressful time for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by samjones2be
Hello fellow Swansea Student!

Which college did you go to? I went tycoch :smile: yes make sure your attendance is really good also because missing lessons can make an impact. I only missed a couple and by god it done my head in lol! Trying to make sure i had all the info i needed for any essays etc. Come may on my course i was flat out. In a space of 2weeks i had 3 exams, a 5000 word project to finish and a presentation. That was the most stressful time for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tycoch too big Up :tongue:

And same here I missed a lecture or two after a Wednesday night out wholly regretted it :colondollar:. but yeah it was the same for us in about Jan to march. Had a Psychology project of about 5,000 words timed essays in sociology and essay after essay. By April I was knackered but luckily had attained all the required credits I needed both for uni and for passing the course :smile:.

but it took hard work and attending almost all my lectures. So to those thinking they can coast it no such luck I'm afraid.
Reply 5
Original post by Tom_91
Tycoch too big Up :tongue:

And same here I missed a lecture or two after a Wednesday night out wholly regretted it :colondollar:. but yeah it was the same for us in about Jan to march. Had a Psychology project of about 5,000 words timed essays in sociology and essay after essay. By April I was knackered but luckily had attained all the required credits I needed both for uni and for passing the course :smile:.

but it took hard work and attending almost all my lectures. So to those thinking they can coast it no such luck I'm afraid.

Haha big up the tycoch crew!!!! Ha never missed a lesson due to a nightout :smile: always for volunteering reasons. Yeah i had my project with Rose. Pscyhology timed essay, exams galoure in sociology, social policy, maths and law and legislation! It was mental! Lol but i managed it overachieved for Uni so chuffed. Some people on my course literally slept through it and managed to pass. Mental! But dnt attempt it for Uni!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Haha big up the tycoch crew!!!! Ha never missed a lesson due to a nightout :smile: always for volunteering reasons. Yeah i had my project with Rose. Pscyhology timed essay, exams galoure in sociology, social policy, maths and law and legislation! It was mental! Lol but i managed it overachieved for Uni so chuffed. Some people on my course literally slept through it and managed to pass. Mental! But dnt attempt it for Uni!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I studied sociology and psychology on an access course and would definitely recommend an access course to gain entry to uni as a mature student. I found it quite hard going as the course progressed, as I was working as well (but only part time), but it paid off and I start uni in September.
We also took study techniques which are very useful if, like me, you haven't studied for years and years!
Good luck! :smile:
Reply 7

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha it was a good college better than my experience at Gorseinon :tongue:

Haha same here overachieved too check us out model students. And why we stuck to our own advice people should take note :smile:.

And those that tried on our course literally ended up being kicked off with us no room for error. which in itself great prep for uni.

I always think the thing is people say Access is intense but if they have done a-level they have that same mentality. With A-level you have time Access course you don't. You have 9 months to fit in really what would be two years of study at A-level. You really cannot slack.
Reply 8
Original post by Tom_91
Haha it was a good college better than my experience at Gorseinon :tongue:

Haha same here overachieved too check us out model students. And why we stuck to our own advice people should take note :smile:.

And those that tried on our course literally ended up being kicked off with us no room for error. which in itself great prep for uni.

I always think the thing is people say Access is intense but if they have done a-level they have that same mentality. With A-level you have time Access course you don't. You have 9 months to fit in really what would be two years of study at A-level. You really cannot slack.

Ive never been to gorseinon! Hahaha yes our advice is brilliant! Keep ur head down and work and u reep the rewards :smile: we had a class of 27 at the beginning and went down to 21.

Well unfortunate for me i never experienced A levels or GCSEs so this was a massive step for me. Showed myself and many others that i do have a brain and can actually use it haha!
Reply 9
Ive never been to gorseinon! Hahaha yes our advice is brilliant! Keep ur head down and work and u reep the rewards :smile: we had a class of 27 at the beginning and went down to 21.

Well unfortunate for me i never experienced A levels or GCSEs so this was a massive step for me. Showed myself and many others that i do have a brain and can actually use it haha!

Your lucky just because it's the A-level college doesn't make it better :tongue:

And I dropped out about 2 months into my a-level year after bombing my AS levels so like you a nice opportunity to show that I do have brain.

I would really recommend the access course and hope people reading take our advice on board.
Reply 10
Original post by Tom_91
Your lucky just because it's the A-level college doesn't make it better :tongue:

And I dropped out about 2 months into my a-level year after bombing my AS levels so like you a nice opportunity to show that I do have brain.

I would really recommend the access course and hope people reading take our advice on board.

Haha yeah! Rhian sociology tutor said tycoch used to have the Alevels but they moved them to Gorseinon.

The access course is brilliant! Im glad i did it as it really has set me up and prepared me for Uni.
Reply 11
Haha yeah! Rhian sociology tutor said tycoch used to have the Alevels but they moved them to Gorseinon.

The access course is brilliant! Im glad i did it as it really has set me up and prepared me for Uni.

I didn't get Rhian but passing her in the corridor she seemed lovely.

And yes more than anything it is the prep for uni that is invaluable.
Reply 12
Original post by Tom_91
I didn't get Rhian but passing her in the corridor she seemed lovely.

And yes more than anything it is the prep for uni that is invaluable.

Rhian is lovely! Really good teacher and knows what she is talking about :smile:

Prep for Uni is the most important thing i believe. Thats why access students have the advantage when going to Uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Rhian is lovely! Really good teacher and knows what she is talking about :smile:

Prep for Uni is the most important thing i believe. Thats why access students have the advantage when going to Uni :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

We had alun equally lovely but we always veered off the topic of sociology I did well though so it's all good.

And yes definitely. The prep they give you on the access course is second to none. the issue I found with A-Level you just didn't get that it was very much you do it great you don't on your own head. Access really teaches good discipline and sets you up nicely.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending