The Student Room Group

Made a big Mistake !!!! Help !?

Well im going into my third year of uni and I commute which is one hour and half away and so 3 hours of my day is travelling and I had some family feud, however earlier this year I booked some accomodation for my third year so it would reduce the time travelling and be better spent in doing some work and would reduce the stress of my family life, on the other hand the accomodation can be beneficial.

However I realised that its not really worth the accomodation, as I have got used to the commute and it would be ok living at home, now I have contacted accomodation office and requested to cancel however someone else has to want my room in order for the cancelation to be successful.

At the time of booking the accomodation it seemed worth it but now things have settled at home and I have got used to the commute.
Im really annoyed that it been booked and I have to wait on the chance for someone to get my accomodation, its really been on my head I completley understand its better at home now.

I dont mind living away as there are benefits, ie own space and very close to the library.

It just feels horrible realising that I have made a really big mistake :mad:

What can I do ? just wait.

PS I havent signed/handed in the tenancy agreement
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
Surely the uni cant force you to stay there?
A lot of people would recommend staying at uni, it enhances the experience, you can meet new people, its easier to get to lectures as well as be more included in the uni socially :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Mav455
Surely the uni cant force you to stay there?
A lot of people would recommend staying at uni, it enhances the experience, you can meet new people, its easier to get to lectures as well as be more included in the uni socially :smile:

Well when I paid the deposit the women said I agreed to the terms and conditions therefore I have to wait for someone to take over my contract to cancel it. On the other hand I havent gave the tenancy agreement in yet.

Yeah exactly thats the main reason I wanted to move to become more social as the commuting really takes it away.
Reply 3
I know this isn't what you want to hear, but there isn't anything you can do as far as I know. You have to find someone to take over your room, or pay for it
Reply 4
Original post by IMBCFC
Well when I paid the deposit the women said I agreed to the terms and conditions therefore I have to wait for someone to take over my contract to cancel it. On the other hand I havent gave the tenancy agreement in yet.

Yeah exactly thats the main reason I wanted to move to become more social as the commuting really takes it away.
Oh ok. Why not try advertising on TSR (on the Uni forum) or on Facebook or other websites to find someone to take the place :smile:
Reply 5
If you haven't even gave the contract in yet what is stopping you not handing it in and just walk away and loosing your deposit? Since no contract is agreed on

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by kumori
If you haven't even gave the contract in yet what is stopping you not handing it in and just walk away and loosing your deposit? Since no contract is agreed on

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats what I thought but she said once I gave the deposit I signed to the T and C's which said the room is mine and once I gave the deposit it means the room is and now mine.
Reply 7
Original post by IMBCFC
Thats what I thought but she said once I gave the deposit I signed to the T and C's which said the room is mine and once I gave the deposit it means the room is and now mine.

The contract is the legal binding contract to say the room is yours not the deposit. Anyone else want to confirm this? Since I may be wrong here

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by kumori
The contract is the legal binding contract to say the room is yours not the deposit. Anyone else want to confirm this? Since I may be wrong here

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its the tenancy agreement that I havent gave in which is the contract. I will be ringing Citizens Advice Bureau.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending