The Student Room Group

Is 'love at first sight' complete ********?

Scroll to see replies

Lust at first site certainly exists. Love...? No ,love is not the same

"Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides, you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your roots have so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is. Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion, it is not the desire to mate every second minute of the day, it is not lying awake at night imagining that he is kissing every cranny of your body. No, don't blush, I am telling you some truths. That is just being "in love", which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident"
Original post by wartortle
you have misunderstood. you are thinking of forced marriage.

Arranged marriage, people will meet up, date, talk etc. they do this for around a year.

Must be difficult when the guy is in Pakistan and the girl is in Bradford. Still if it's a cousin there is no need to know each other really is there?
Original post by Old_Simon
Must be difficult when the guy is in Pakistan and the girl is in Bradford. Still if it's a cousin there is no need to know each other really is there?

Not really an expert in Muslim marriages. But that sounds like forced marriage big boy
(edited 9 years ago)
Not really an expert in Muslim marriages. But that sounds like forced marriage big boy

Oh no. She agrees. Of course. So it is arranged. Holiday in Pakistan and bingo.
Original post by Old_Simon
Oh no. She agrees. Of course. So it is arranged. Holiday in Pakistan and bingo.

Borderline forced marriage.
It's a (beautiful) myth.

Love is something that grows over time, like a garden. What we feel at first sight is passion; strong attraction to who the person may be.

Love takes time. It's not something that just 'happens'.
Love exists?
Reply 47
you have misunderstood. you are thinking of forced marriage.

Arranged marriage, people will meet up, date, talk etc. they do this for around a year.

Love and marriage are two completely different things, marrying for love only really came about in the 1800's, you usually married the person who could give you the best possible chance of continuing your blood line or the person who could give you the most political power, so weather or not the bride and groom love each other was irrelevant

With that out of the way I think love at first sight is a stupid way of finding your life partner
Original post by PJEffect
Love and marriage are two completely different things, marrying for love only really came about in the 1800's, you usually married the person who could give you the best possible chance of continuing your blood line or the person who could give you the most political power, so weather or not the bride and groom love each other was irrelevant

With that out of the way I think love at first sight is a stupid way of finding your life partner

Why are you telling me this?
Reply 49
Yes it's true but then you get know that person. :lolwut:
Most likely lust rather than love in my opinion. Of course there are exceptions to this :smile:
No.

I momentarily fall in love with every cute hijabi I meet.

*sigh*

:daydreaming:
Original post by Anonymousmouse
I believe in love at first sight, though it's probably more of lust at first sight haha. Anyhow it did happen to me when I saw my former boyfriend. I literally did a double take. Almost like cupid shooting an arrow at me haha. I remember when I met him, I had no intention of dating anyone and obviously something about him made me change my mind. I've never felt so intensely about someone except him.
Now, I can only hope to ever experience something like that again. Maybe it sounds cheesy, but it was magical while it lasted.

Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
No.

I momentarily fall in love with every cute hijabi I meet.

*sigh*

:daydreaming:

Just hijabis? :tongue:
Yes, love at first sight is a myth. It isn't possible, not for a well balanced, emotionally sound human being anyways. The strong emotion people talk about is lust or attraction. But love is something completely different. It is born out of these two emotions, and more often out of friendship. It's something that takes time to develop and you probably won't be able to pin point when exactly you start to love a person. For me, I fell in love with the person I'm with now when we were friends, but I never fully realised it (or expected to) till we had a chance to act on our feelings. We already had such a good basis of friendship that we loved each other as friends first, in the least selfish way, and then everything else came second. Even if we didn't stay together we would probably still be friends. That's love to me, and I don't think that's something that can just happen with a stranger.
Reply 55
Original post by That_Hijabi
Like in the movies, the couple 'bump' into eachother and immediately fall in love. Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know?
I personally think it's pretty stupid to fall in love with someone you know nothing about..

"love" as we know it today, is a lie.
historically, people got married for political benefit of the family and often not to the desires of the couple in question being married.

loves root word means desire and is therefore hedonistic and gluttonistic rather than romantic and spiritual.

in parts of eurasia its still considered romantic to kidnap your wife. indeed many parents even wish their daughters to be kidnapped. bizarre.

love as we know it today is an evolution of courtly love. a romantic fantasy rarely evidenced in reality.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hahahhaha are you mentally challenged? Clearly
Reply 57
Why are you telling me this?

Just getting it out there that what you're branding as a "forced marriage" is actually the traditional way of doing it (I'm not saying that makes it right or fair)
I don't believe in it. Love takes time to develop.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by That_Hijabi
Like in the movies, the couple 'bump' into eachother and immediately fall in love. Has this ever happened to you or anyone you know?
I personally think it's pretty stupid to fall in love with someone you know nothing about..

True, I think it's lust at first sight.

I agree that's pretty stupid... shall I bring up Elsa's sister Frozen? :rolleyes::tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending