The Student Room Group

Guy told me he likes me [Both Muslim]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ¯\(°_o)/¯
LMFAO :rofl:

"Guurl, I'm not lyke dem ovver boiis."

This is all good. Talk and see if you have stuff in common. Keep it halal though.

Keeping it "halal" would be not talking to him alone.
Original post by TSA
Keeping it "halal" would be not talking to him alone.

True. But I'm sure you know what I actually meant.
Original post by Musie Suzie
Sorry, but what is a person's wali number?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically a middle man, usually a male relative of the girl, whose permission the guy has to ask in order for him to marry the girl.

So the poster was saying if the guy is serious about you he will contact your male relative (guardian) in order to arrange a meet with the intention of being married. As technically relationship between a male and female outside of wedlock is not permitted.

He's essentially there to make situations awkward between the couple as they are not allowed to be together without the presence of the wali outside of wedlock.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by Fatima15
I want to be realistic here, I know that in Islam its prohibited for me to talk to him alone but in this society that is extremely hard to do, I want to get to know the person myself without any of the touchy touchy business and then when I feel that the person is right for me I'll get parents involved. No point for him to talk to my parents, since we're both 18 my parents will say no, no matter what type of person he is.

I've known of him since secondary school started and he has never flirted with a girl/chatted with a girl for the sake of it. If I wasn't sure of that I would have said no when he spoke to me.

Let's say hypothetically you get to know him and want to progress the relationship, then what? You're back to the stage of getting your wali to investigate this guy. If you let your parents know from the get go,
It's possible to get to know the guy with a wali present and it pretty much cancels out any funny business in your encounters.

It's a win / win situation.
Reply 24
Original post by TSA
Your posts always make me laugh.

Stalking my posts huh?

:colone:
Original post by Reform
Stalking my posts huh?

:colone:

Not stalking, just coming across your posts here and there.
Reply 26
So I just finished school (year 13) and I'm planning on going to university next year. A couple days before my final exams a guy told me that he likes me a lot, it was surprising as we're both Muslim and I didn't think someone like him would actually tell a girl he likes. I'm from Libya and he's Pakistani, he is a very smart guy and doesn't play around with girls, I was in his Economics AS lesson and he's very funny but keeps his distance from girls, I know that he's very serious and I like the person he is. I don't feel the same towards him as he does towards me and I don't want to lead him on. We're both going to university in London (I'm going to Brunel and he's going to Kings (if we get the grades obviously)).

I told him to give me some time to think and I seriously feel no attraction towards him but I feel that I might once I get to properly know him, we never really talked before and if we did it was chit chat. What should I do? I know he isn't someone that just wants sex, he himself told me that his intentions are pure.

Simple. You're both Muslim. Tell him this type of stuff is forbidden but ask to still remain friends. If he's a half glass full type of muslim then he'll be ok with it. And then during.uni just get to knos each other and see what happens :smile:

I told him to give me some time to think and I seriously feel no attraction towards him but I feel that I might once I get to properly know him, we never really talked before and if we did it was chit chat. What should I do? I know he isn't someone that just wants sex, he himself told me that his intentions are pure.

Some of the answers are insane on here. lol.

If you are both going to London, then meet him for Starbucks and etc and see how it goes....You might like his personality. You might not.

Having said that, you are going to University. The person that you are going to start off as is going very different to the person that is going to graduate.

Even though Brunel is a bit of a trek from Kings, it is possible for it work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by Reform
Let's say hypothetically you get to know him and want to progress the relationship, then what? You're back to the stage of getting your wali to investigate this guy. If you let your parents know from the get go,
It's possible to get to know the guy with a wali present and it pretty much cancels out any funny business in your encounters.

It's a win / win situation.

Then I'd know that I like the guy before making things serious (i.e getting family involved). There's no point getting my family involved if after 2-3 conversations with him I see that he isn't fit for me or vise verca.

Original post by Qari
Simple. You're both Muslim. Tell him this type of stuff is forbidden but ask to still remain friends. If he's a half glass full type of muslim then he'll be ok with it. And then during.uni just get to knos each other and see what happens :smile:

So what you're suggesting is that we get to know each other during university... I don't want a boyfriend/girlfriend thing, I want to get to know him with the intention of getting married. Are you basically saying that?

Original post by DorianGrayism
Some of the answers are insane on here. lol.

If you are both going to London, then meet him for Starbucks and etc and see how it goes....You might like his personality. You might not.

Having said that, you are going to University. The person that you are going to start off as is going very different to the person that is going to graduate.

Even though Brunel is a bit of a trek from Kings, it is possible for it work.

Do you think its worth meeting up with him etc especially since we're both going to different universities? I mean chances are we will both meet a lot of people at university and the extra hassle of going somewhere close to his uni or him coming somewhere close to mine begs the question if its worth it.
Reply 29

So what you're suggesting is that we get to know each other during university... I don't want a boyfriend/girlfriend thing, I want to get to know him with the intention of getting married. Are you basically saying that?

yup and I'm not saying be boyfriend/girlfriend just find out igfyou get on with him and if you have things in common

Do you think its worth meeting up with him etc especially since we're both going to different universities? I mean chances are we will both meet a lot of people at university and the extra hassle of going somewhere close to his uni or him coming somewhere close to mine begs the question if its worth it.

Well, your universities are not that far apart. They are both around London.

I think the issue is that you have no attraction to him, so you are approaching it from a very logical point of view. If you had some sort of attraction, then I don't think the distance between the Uni's would be that big a deal.

Also, as you said, you may meet a lot of new people within your new University. You will have a new life and maybe you don't want another distraction by having to travel and etc to see someone that you don't have a lot of feelings for.
Don't waste yours and his time.

The only reason you're even remotely entertaining this idea is because he said he likes you.

Thats hardly reason enough to consider taking things further when you have stated numerous times you feel nothing towards him.

Now, if you don't know him, of course no one expects you to know if you love him or not. But going by your posts, you have zero attraction towards him...so why are you even entertaining this idea?
Reply 32
Original post by Spongebob'sPants
Don't waste yours and his time.

The only reason you're even remotely entertaining this idea is because he said he likes you.

Thats hardly reason enough to consider taking things further when you have stated numerous times you feel nothing towards him.

Now, if you don't know him, of course no one expects you to know if you love him or not. But going by your posts, you have zero attraction towards him...so why are you even entertaining this idea?

Because he's been honest with me, what he could have done is got to know me and flirted with me and then asked me when he was certain that I felt something back but he didn't do that, from the get-go he was straight up and I want to to get know what kind of person he is.

I prefer boys being honest with me as oppose to having hidden agendas and I realise that not a lot of guys would have the balls to go up to a girl they've fancied and tell them the truth from the start, all of which he has done.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because he's been honest with me, what he could have done is got to know me and flirted with me and then asked me when he was certain that I felt something back but he didn't do that, from the get-go he was straight up and I want to to get know what kind of person he is.

I prefer boys being honest with me as oppose to having hidden agendas and I realise that not a lot of guys would have the balls to go up to a girl they've fancied and tell them the truth from the start, all of which he has done.

All which is somewhat commendable.

But it doesnt alter anything from what I have said.

You'll be wasting both of your time, trying to pursue something that isnt there.

I'm personally of the opinion you should feel SOME level of attraction if you want to pursue matters.

Best of luck to you though.

Quick Reply

Latest