The Student Room Group

A level choices

Hi is bio,chem,maths and sociology a good combination if i want to do a chemical engineering degree, also opinions and ideas on the degree and a levels would be helpful thanks

Scroll to see replies

Tbh I would replace either sociology with physics if you want to do chem engineering. Doing maths, bio, chem and physics will keep your options open for pretty much every other science degree as well.

Source: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf
Reply 2
Original post by flopsybunnybell
Tbh I would replace either sociology with physics if you want to do chem engineering. Doing maths, bio, chem and physics will keep your options open for pretty much every other science degree as well.

Source: http://www.russellgroup.org/InformedChoices-latest.pdf

yes but i feel that doing all three science would be too much for me
then you would be fine to just do three sciences. only some universities require physics as well as maths and chem, so you're good to go.
if there are any specific universities that you're already interested in, just check their entry requirements, because you don't want to set your heart on somewhere then realise they require physics.
Reply 4
then you would be fine to just do three sciences. only some universities require physics as well as maths and chem, so you're good to go.
if there are any specific universities that you're already interested in, just check their entry requirements, because you don't want to set your heart on somewhere then realise they require physics.

What bout geology instead of sociology
Original post by monisj1
What bout geology instead of sociology

That would definetly work well. My main piece of advice would just be to do the subjects you enjoy the most.
Reply 6
That would definetly work well. My main piece of advice would just be to do the subjects you enjoy the most.

Thanks and what are you studying?
Nothing to do with engineering, I'm afraid.
Latin, english literature, history and german.
Reply 8
Nothing to do with engineering, I'm afraid.
Latin, english literature, history and german.

Oh i was goig to do history at a level but i dnt knw
Chemical Engineering...

You'd want Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
Reply 10
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Chemical Engineering...

Tell me your joking id die if i did FM and physics
Original post by monisj1
Oh i was goig to do history at a level but i dnt knw

If you're going to be studying mainly science subjects, it might be nice for you to have an arts subject in there to add breadth. Just do what feels right.

Chemical Engineering...

I'm pretty sure that even at Cambridge FM is only listed as 'desirable'. But it would be useful to take.
Reply 12
If you're going to be studying mainly science subjects, it might be nice for you to have an arts subject in there to add breadth. Just do what feels right.

Yes i enjoyed history at gcse aswell but isnt it really difficult
Original post by monisj1
Yes i enjoyed history at gcse aswell but isnt it really difficult

It does get harder at A-level, but if you are genuinely passionate about it as a subject, you'll manage with the step up.
Original post by monisj1
Tell me your joking id die if i did FM and physics

I don't think Chem Eng will be for you Tbh.

I'm pretty sure that even at Cambridge FM is only listed as 'desirable'. But it would be useful to take.

Only? Desirable is quite important.
Reply 15
I don't think Chem Eng will be for you Tbh.

Only? Desirable is quite important.

Universities that i have researched dont have physics as a main requirement
Original post by monisj1
Universities that i have researched dont have physics as a main requirement

In the first year everyone will be brought up to speed so in the later years it won't matter. However, it will make you a competetive applicant if you do have it, even just to AS. At Oxford, the only reason it's not required is because not all schools offer it. If your school does offer it, the admissions tutors will ask you why you haven't taken it. I'd recommend teaching yourself at least FP1 - that is really easy, especially with the help of Youtube.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by StarvingAutist
In the first year everyone will be brought up to speed so in the later years it won't matter. However, it will make you a competetive applicant if you do have it, even just to AS. At Oxford, the only reason it's not required is because not all schools offer it. If your school does offer it, the admissions tutors will ask you why you haven't taken it. I'd recommend teaching yourself at least FP1 - that is really easy, especially with the help of Youtube.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hmm yes il consider that thankyou
Original post by monisj1
Hi is bio,chem,maths and sociology a good combination if i want to do a chemical engineering degree, also opinions and ideas on the degree and a levels would be helpful thanks

As long as you have decent a-levels in maths and chemistry, and one other A-level, that will be enough to get you into pretty much any university (except Oxford, Cambridge, possibly London Imperial). The reality is that when most universities look at your application, even 'prestigious' ones, they will make you offer, say AAA including maths and chemistry, and as long as you meet that offer you will get a place, they don't really care what your other 2 choices are.
I would say that Chemical engineering is a very good degree to do, the UK as a shortage of engineers, and along with law and medical students, chemical engineers are one of the highest earning graduates.
Reply 19
Original post by jonzza_81
As long as you have decent a-levels in maths and chemistry, and one other A-level, that will be enough to get you into pretty much any university (except Oxford, Cambridge, possibly London Imperial). The reality is that when most universities look at your application, even 'prestigious' ones, they will make you offer, say AAA including maths and chemistry, and as long as you meet that offer you will get a place, they don't really care what your other 2 choices are.
I would say that Chemical engineering is a very good degree to do, the UK as a shortage of engineers, and along with law and medical students, chemical engineers are one of the highest earning graduates.

thank you very much for that information i was thinking newcastle university would be good as they have high employability rates and theres an year in industry with it

Quick Reply

Latest