The Student Room Group

Scandanavians

What are the aspirations of these quiet people?
Anyone know about Norwegians, Swedes or Danes?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
One view is selective breeding: all the boisterous ones came over as the Vikings leaving the quiet, make-do ones at home.
The men are controlled by their wives and have little say on anything like poster above me said.
Reply 3
Original post by Friendly Liberal
The men are controlled by their wives and have little say on anything like poster above me said.
Maybe I won't visit then
Vi-queen.jpg
Friendlyliberal is speaking ****. Men usually, in Norway are typically in a more "dominating" role. Societally speaking we're more conservative than is the general stereotype.

But if you want stereotypes. Danes are huge drinkers, Swedes are arrogant and posh. Dere.

And for us Norwegians, Swedes think we're just barbarians still and eat too much fish.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by NJA

What do you mean lol?

My brother lives in Norway with my uncle so I've been over to Bergen, Oslo, tromso etc.
Reply 6
Original post by NJA

what do you mean what are their aspirations? They don't have one collective aspiration embedded in each of their heads, makes as much sense asking that to the whole of the united kingdom.
Reply 7
They get on with life pretty while it seems. Never met a bad Scandinavian, all been wonderful and friendly people. Wouldn't mind studying there one day.
Nordic=/=Scandinavian.

And this thread blows.
They are just people like everywhere else. You get the good, the bad and the ugly.

However as a whole collectively they are more honest than Brits and a lot less likely to be back stabbers as they simply stab you in the front instead.
Original post by AlexKay99
I think Easter European people are better looking to be honest, I don't get the hype over Nordics plus I find them really racist because they think they're so great. I'm Estonian by the way which is practically Swedish/Finnish in my opinion.

No. You're Estonian. Finnic-Ugric. Some, though a very small portion will be "ethnically" Nordic due to the Swedish Empire control of Estonia. But you're not likely an extirpated people. Long period of genetic liberty colloquially speaking.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
No. You're Estonian. Finnic-Ugric. Some, though a very small portion will be "ethnically" Nordic due to the Swedish Empire control of Estonia. But you're not likely an extirpated people. Long period of genetic liberty colloquially speaking.

Yes and its exactly Finnic-Urgic is closely related to Finnish, I don't understand why the Finnish are considered Scandinavians, because they are Finnic-Urgic originated from nomadic tribes rather than Vikings.
I have relations which are Swedish and also Danish. Plus because of German rule, there may be some German in there as well.

*the 'Urgic' is also Hungarian by the way.
(edited 9 years ago)
Yes and its exactly Finnic-Urgic is closely related to Finnish, I don't understand why the Finnish are considered Scandinavians, because they are Finnic-Urgic originated from nomadic tribes rather than Vikings.
I have relations which are Swedish and also Danish. Plus because of German rule, there may be some German in there as well.

Aye, Finns are finnic-ugric. Though contentious slightly in linguistics.

But, the reason Finns are Scandinavian is that they inhabit Scandinavia.

Scandinavia is a endonym. Finnish is an exonym. Norwegians are Norse, but Scandinavian. Finns are Finnish but Scandinavian. One denotes their geographical location, the other their ethnic relation.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scandinavia is a endonym. Finnish is an exonym. Norwegians are Norse, but Scandinavian. Finns are Finnish but Scandinavian. One denotes their geographical location, the other their ethnic relation.

I checked out your profile and you look like you belong to one of these endonyms :giggle:
I checked out your profile and you look like you belong to one of these endonyms :giggle:

Well yes. I do, I have already stated I'm Norwegian in this thread lol.
Well yes. I do, I have already stated I'm Norwegian in this thread lol.

Are you a polyglot?

I shouldn't agree so, Estonia, although a 'Baltic state' might as well be placed in the Nordic council because of our very close ties, we are not Slavonic people like the other members of the Baltic states, but Nordics are generally nationalists so they wouldn't consider any foreign ethnic people, I'm surprised how the Finns ended up there...the North of Russia might as well be included if that's the case.
Any way the whole point is, if your looking for good looking people, they'll be the ethnic Scandinavians not the Finnic-Urgic.

Oh I might add that Iceland is a member of the Nordic council and look were they are geographically, they might as well be a part of the Common Travel Area!
(edited 9 years ago)
I shouldn't agree so, Estonia, although a 'Baltic state' might as well be placed in the Nordic council because of our very close ties, we are not Slavonic people like the other members of the Baltic states, but Nordics are generally nationalists so they wouldn't consider any foreign ethnic people, I'm surprised how the Finns ended up there...the North of Russia might as well be included if that's the case.
Any way the whole point is, if your looking for good looking people, they'll be the ethnic Scandinavians not the Finnic-Urgic.

Woah. Slavonic? No one is Slavonic in the baltics par the Poles. Livonians are Baltic, Lithuanians are baltic and speak a baltic language. Slavonic par the general term of "West slavic" usually always denotes old church Slavonic peoples; those which were proselytized and aided by the Eastern Roman Empire. Croats, Serbs, Vlach, Moravians etc.

Though I actually agree about Estonia being part of Scandinavia, and indeed it was at one point. The reason it's no longer has to do with the Muscovite empire, and Novgorod really. The strict Rus' position of endemic extirpation removed those in the later Muscovite sphere from being included in the Swedes sphere. So errr blame the Russians lol.
Are you a polyglot?

Yes.

Oh I might add that Iceland is a member of the Nordic council and look were they are geographically, they might as well be a part of the Common Travel Area!

Apparently the average penis size in Iceland is 6.5 inches, one whole inch longer than the rest of Scandinavia?

How can this be?

Quick Reply

Latest