The Student Room Group

Would anyone mind helping me with my weight gain plan? Greatly appreciated!

Hey folks,

Essentially I have decided that I need to do something to sort out my weight problem. I'm a 20 year old guy, and weigh 10.2 stone, with a height of around 6.1

I'm only have a vague idea about what to do to both gain weight and in turn muscle

I firstly plan to dramatically increase my calorie intake to around 3500 - 4000 calories a day. The thing is, I am not sure whether to start exercising whilst doing this. Should I wait a month or so for this increased eating to give me some increased weight to work with?

When I do get to the exercising, I have no idea how to structure it. I have an exercise bike, but can't afford a gym membership or anything like that. Will a daily routine of push ups, ab crunches, the bike, squats etc be enough to see muscle gain?

Thanks for the guidance - I'd appreciate any tips!
Why would you need to wait a month to exercise? Start now.

I find it improbable that you cannot find at least £15 a month to pay for a gym. Anyhow, if you're not gonna go to a gym, at the very least buy a pull-up bar so it gives you more options in terms of compound body-weight exercises.

Also, push-ups, ab crunches and body-weight squats will not build you muscle (efficiently). For one, they are mostly endurance exercises and it is hard to progressively overload with them. Google some calisthenics body-weight exercises that involve compound movements involving multiple muscle groups, dips, pistol squats, pull-ups, chin-ups, etc.

I will say this, if you want to put on mass quickly and efficiently, go to the gym and use a barbell.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Don't increase your calories too much too soon. Slow n steady wins the race my friend.
Unfortunately there's no substitute for hard work. You want to bulk up but I'm assuming that you don't want to get fat. You won't build substantial muscle by doing sit ups and push ups every day. You'll be doing cardio which will burn calories. The energy you don't use will be stored as fat (and if you're eating so much then that will be a fair bit of fat).

If you want to put muscle on you need to eat right and lift weights. Protein is ESSENTIAL for building muscle. There's no point eating 5,000 calories a day if you're not getting enough protein because you'll only get fat. 1-2g of protein per pound of body weight is pretty solid guideline. When you lift weights, you tear your muscle fibres. Those muscle fibres repair and grow during sleep with the help of protein. If you do not tear muscle fibres, you do not build muscle.

If you can't afford to go to a gym or lift weights then don't try and bulk up. Because you are only going to put on fat. Save up, or wait until there is a time when you'll be able to do this properly. You'll regret it otherwise.
First find out your body type I mean I'm 16 and I'm 12 frikkin stones and I don't even look fat, there are 3 body types ecto meso and endo
Reply 5
There are plenty of resources on the net to gain muscle without putting on fat.

To gain muscle, you need to overload your muscles so they respond by growing bigger. The easiest way and cheapest way is with free weights. You can usually find second hand ones in places like Craiglist.

Don't try to increase your calorie intake, all it will do is make you fat and muscle is not fat and fat does not turn into muscle.

To gain muscle, eat a healthy diet of carbs, proteins and fats..
Original post by Ariana Grande
First find out your body type I mean I'm 16 and I'm 12 frikkin stones and I don't even look fat, there are 3 body types ecto meso and endo

He said that he was 6'1" and 10 stone. He's an ectomorph.
Go for the KFC Costa Rico it has 1150 calories In a box, and there's a protein shake that has over 1650 calories in one 250 ml drink however it may be harder for you to gain weight as you're an ectomorph
Original post by Ariana Grande

Lol @ people who subscribe to somatotypes

There are other factors that contribute to how you look at a certain weight. Your body fat %, where you store fat at and how tall you are.

Now let's not categorize OP into that meso, ecto bullsh*t, it isn't relevant.
If you really need to gain some weight then I'd suggest calorific surplus given your body type, protein is definitely key though. If you can't eat enough clean complete sources of protein (e.g. beef, chicken, fish, or soy if you're veg) then look at supplements online, cheap whey concentrate will do the trick.

Otherwise I would say in the short term if you find bodyweight exercises like pushups difficult (so you can't do more than say 15 without being exhausted) start with that, but to put on mass you need large compound exercises like barbell squats, deadlifts, etc. so I would consider looking around for a local gym or at the very least some dumbbells online
Eat a banana and peanut butter sandwich a day on top of what youre currently eating.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Well if it's anything to go by I started going to the gym about seven weeks ago. I go once every two days for around two hours.

I eat four meals a day. I've cut a lot of the carbs out of my diet, although I do eat new potatoes etc.

But the main part of my diet is Fish (Salmon and cod), meat (Mince beef, pork chop, and chicken) and vegetables (mostly spinach and carrots).

I'm 5ft10, and I've put on a stone, which isn't too bad. I need to put on another stone to get to more of an healthy weight, but I'm guessing it's going to take longer.
Ss + gomad
Original post by Tinglay
Lol @ people who subscribe to somatotypes

There are other factors that contribute to how you look at a certain weight. Your body fat %, where you store fat at and how tall you are.

Now let's not categorize OP into that meso, ecto bullsh*t, it isn't relevant.

Lol. It's definitely relevant.
Original post by Scott.
Well if it's anything to go by I started going to the gym about seven weeks ago. I go once every two days for around two hours.

I eat four meals a day. I've cut a lot of the carbs out of my diet, although I do eat new potatoes etc.

But the main part of my diet is Fish (Salmon and cod), meat (Mince beef, pork chop, and chicken) and vegetables (mostly spinach and carrots).

I'm 5ft10, and I've put on a stone, which isn't too bad. I need to put on another stone to get to more of an healthy weight, but I'm guessing it's going to take longer.

2 hours seems like overkill to me, anything much past an hour is overtraining in my book. You should be doing fewer than 25 sets in total, with up to 2 minutes rest in between each for mass gaining. Training too much, especially having just started, will mean your muscles will struggle to recover properly. Stick to 5x5 Stronglifts IMO, it's simple but I found it really effective
Original post by Michael!
Lol. It's definitely relevant.

It is not relevant. Why should he focusing on his body type and not on making progress? His body type/bone structure is irrelevant to how he gains weight, it has nothing to do with his metabolism so explain to me why it should be mentioned? It is just a clutch, and it's pseudoscience that has been debunked numerous times. Much like BMI it has very little scope and relevance here.

[video="youtube;ZdpKEUgFuTw"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdpKEUgFuTw[/video]
Original post by Tinglay
It is not relevant. Why should he focusing on his body type and not on making progress? His body type/bone structure is irrelevant to how he gains weight, it has nothing to do with his metabolism so explain to me why it should be mentioned? It is just a clutch, and it's pseudoscience that has been debunked numerous times. Much like BMI it has very little scope and relevance here.

I'm not debating that somatotypes are unreliable because that's obvious. Anyone who's studied Biology/Sports Science past GCSE will know that. What I'm saying is that somatotypes touch on the premise that your ability to gain mass is imprinted in your genetics. It is all about satellite cell-mediated myonuclear addition. 'Ectomorphs' if you want to call them that, respond the worst. They struggle to gain mass, whether that be fat and muscle. It's relevant to know where you stand as it gives you an idea of what you have to do to achieve your goals. If this guy wants to get big then he needs to eat and train like a man possessed. But even then, in comparison to someone with the 'ideal genetics', his results are always going be limited.
I'm not debating that somatotypes are unreliable because that's obvious. Anyone who's studied Biology/Sports Science past GCSE will know that. What I'm saying is that somatotypes touch on the premise that your ability to gain mass is imprinted in your genetics. It is all about satellite cell-mediated myonuclear addition.

Lmao. You've said that they're unreliable but they touch on your premise of gaining mass. You've contradicted yourself.

How exactly is a CNS or PNS satellite cell affecting the amount of mass you hold based on how much you've eaten in your life and/ or your build?
I want papers if you're wondering

'Ectomorphs' if you want to call them that, respond the worst. They struggle to gain mass, whether that be fat and muscle.

That would be highly likely due to them having to eat more which they're not used to. Somatotropes in your case are just an excuse.

It's relevant to know where you stand as it gives you an idea of what you have to do to achieve your goals. If this guy wants to get big then he needs to eat and train like a man possessed. But even then, in comparison to someone with the 'ideal genetics', his results are always going be limited.

Tell that to Klokov, hell look at Omar Isuf... skinny as hell, now he's natty and diced to the socks.
Original post by Angry cucumber
Lmao. You've said that they're unreliable but they touch on your premise of gaining mass. You've contradicted yourself.

Hi keyboard warrior. I fail to see how I've contradicted myself. They're unreliable in the sense that they shouldn't be taken as an accurate guideline. But the general gist of somatotypes is relevant.

I've got better things to do then trawl through my A Level Biology/Sport Science notes. I don't need concrete evidence to back up every single thing I say. Go and look yourself. You clearly like thinking you know best, but the stark reality is that you don't. Disagree with someone if you like. You don't have to be a child about it.
Hi keyboard warrior. I fail to see how I've contradicted myself. They're unreliable in the sense that they shouldn't be taken as an accurate guideline. But the general gist of somatotypes is relevant.

I'm cool with being a keyboard warrior

I've got better things to do then trawl through my A Level Biology/Sport Science notes.
I don't need concrete evidence to back up every single thing I say.

You don't but if you're going to post questionable points... then expect to be called out

Go and look yourself. You clearly like thinking you know best, but the stark reality is that you don't. Disagree with someone if you like. You don't have to be a child about it.

I have looked for myself, somatotropes are debunked.

Your stark reality is one that you've been unable to disprove anything I've said when I've called you and others out on. If I come across as rude, then I apologise, it's not meant.. however come with questionable or down right wrong statements and I and others will call you on it.

Don't like it, check your facts.

It's not childish to call you out on it, however I'd go as far as to say it's childish to try and insult me.

Quick Reply

Latest