The Student Room Group

Life after death

Poll

Do you believe?

Do you believe in life after death? Why so?

Please vote above in the poll!
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No.

I believe there is nothing. Like when you're asleep. There is often just nothing.
Reply 2
Original post by 8472
No.

I believe there is nothing. Like when you're asleep. There is often just nothing.

Why?When we sleep don't we get dreams?
Reply 3
Original post by Sena5
Why?When we sleep don't we get dreams?

Yes but you know sometimes you have a sleep where you're awake. Then you're awake. In between there is just nothing that you can remember or know of. This nothing is constant.
Reply 4
Original post by 8472
Yes but you know sometimes you have a sleep where you're awake. Then you're awake. In between there is just nothing that you can remember or know of. This nothing is constant.

What do you mean by- Sleep where you're awake.
Please explain clear?
Reply 5
Original post by Sena5
Do you believe in life after death? Why so?

When you're dead, your brain ceases to function. Once your brain ceases to function, you're no longer alive. When you're no longer alive there's no longer any life.
Death 'it's just like the way life was before you were born which wasn't that bad, was it?'
Where is the option for unsure?
Reply 8
Original post by pjm600
When you're dead, your brain ceases to function. Once your brain ceases to function, you're no longer alive. When you're no longer alive there's no longer any life.

But people do live without their brain in the sense paralyzed ones.
Brain death doesn't mean they don't live any longer.
I want to come back as nearly headless nick and join the headless hunt
I believe that some of us will go to Aslan's country.
Reply 11
Original post by Sena5
But people do live without their brain in the sense paralyzed ones.
Brain death doesn't mean they don't live any longer.

People with no brain function are not alive in the sense that you were implying. They're 'dead' in American Law, but not UK law.

A person with brain death does not, I would imagine, have any sense of self, though, or senses at all. They a merely a body kept 'alive' by machines. If you could that as life, fine, but then they never did die, so it's not life after death it's just life.
Reply 12
Original post by pjm600
People with no brain function are not alive in the sense that you were implying. They're 'dead' in American Law, but not UK law.

A person with brain death does not, I would imagine, have any sense of self, though, or senses at all. They a merely a body kept 'alive' by machines. If you could that as life, fine, but then they never did die, so it's not life after death it's just life.

So they are not dead where life after death is not yet determined with them.
Original post by 8472
No.

You mean like the state you were in before you were born/existed/zygote thing. Just nothing.

What's the difference between the state you were before you were born and after you die? :confused:
Reply 14
Original post by Sena5
What do you mean by- Sleep where you're awake.
Please explain clear?

Wrote the wrong word. I mean. Have you ever slept so that One second you're awake and the time is X. Then you wake up later and the time is Y. You don't remember anything in between and it seemed like there was just nothing.
Reply 15
Original post by 8472
Wrote the wrong word. I mean. Have you ever slept so that One second you're awake and the time is X. Then you wake up later and the time is Y. You don't remember anything in between and it seemed like there was just nothing.

I don't think it can be assumed as that because people do know what they dream t whilst sleeping. Only if it's dark and no dream appears there won't be anything. Well, I and other people do remember what happened between.Because they were sleeping they were dreaming.
But, you see sometimes dreams make you think it is happening in reality. And supposing for e.g. when you get a scary dream you cry out loud and when you get up you see it was a dream. So, weren't the person expressing feelings to the dream,too!
I believe in life after death. I think that's also a main factor to why I'm not afraid of death either.
Whenever I tell people I believe in life after death and they question me, I always tell them this... As a Christian, I'd rather spend my life believing there's an afterlife, to then die and find out that there isn't, rather than to live my life not believing in it to then die and find out that there is and I'm screwed haha. That's just my personal view on it, but I respect people who feel differently :smile:
Reply 18
You cannot survive through the decay of your brain, so the answer is no, I don't believe in life after death..

I do wish that there was reincarnation though...
Original post by Kasa
You cannot survive through the decay of your brain, so the answer is no, I don't believe in life after death..

I do wish that there was reincarnation though...

You're correct about the decay of your brain, but a lot of people who believe in life after death don't think our physical bodies continue living, that would be ridiculous... It's more about your soul/spirit leading another life.

Quick Reply

Latest