The Student Room Group

Scandanavians

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AlexKay99
I wasn't aware that race is still being ranked. Thought that was over when Hitler was defeated.

Oh for God's sake, liven up, I'm not seriously claiming scandinavians are better than everyone else, it's just a manner of speaking :laugh:
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
Straw- man again. I said it was Russian for all intensive purposes. Not that it was Muscovite.

It was an ominous and sempiternal presence singe the rise of Musocvy. Yes Sorry, that's the fact.

May be, just like the Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Hungarian and German presence.
Its not Britain! You haven't been occupied much and don't necessarily have a wide genetic heritage seen as your on an isolated island, I always wondered how you haven't fully inbreed yet, no wonder the Scandinavians are so good looking and so is the rest of the world.
Sorry but that's a fact too.
Oh this might be when Knayz Vladimir created a siege of Constantinople, they were Russian vikings who wanted to become Christian but Constantinople which was the Christian Byzantium Empire at the time did not let them because they were pagans but Knayz Vladimir occupied Constantinople (now Istanbul) and forced them to baptize him so that he can marry one of their princesses who was Christian.

Yes and this might explain the ceiling fresco I mentioned, which was actually an uncovered mosaic depicting Christianity. When I saw this on the documentary, I was baffled as to why a Christian image is inside a temple in a muslin country in what was then called Constantinople?

So what you've said makes sense now. :giggle:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Friendly Liberal
Yes and this might explain the ceiling fresco I mentioned, which was actually an uncovered mosaic depicting Christianity. When I saw this on the documentary, I was baffled as to why a Christian image is inside a Muslim temple in what was then called Constantinople?

So what you've said makes sense now. :giggle:

It is quite amazing that, Constantinople was once a center of Christianity, ironically its not Rome like the Catholic Church insists but whats now Istanbul. Funnily enough Istanbul became the center of Islam during the Ottoman Empire!
May be, just like the Danish, Swedish, Finnish, Hungarian and German presence.
Its not Britain! You haven't been occupied much and don't necessarily have a wide genetic heritage seen as your on an isolated island, I always wondered how you haven't fully inbreed yet, no wonder the Scandinavians are so good looking and so is the rest of the world.
Sorry but that's a fact too.

I'm not British soooo.
Original post by AntisthenesDogger
I'm not British soooo.

LOL
Oh this might be when Knayz Vladimir created a siege of Constantinople, they were Russian vikings who wanted to become Christian but Constantinople which was the Christian Byzantium Empire at the time did not let them because they were pagans but Knayz Vladimir occupied Constantinople (now Istanbul) and forced them to baptize him so that he can marry one of their princesses who was Christian.

A) The Byzantines were the ultimate cultural imperialists of their period and had wanted for a long time to Christianise the Rus. Vladimir's envoys had already participated in a liturgy designed by the Byzantines to lure the Rus to Christianity (apparently, the envoys were dazzled by the service) 10 years before Vladimir was baptised. So I don't think anyone was forced to baptise Vladimir.

B) Vladimir occupied a military base in Crimea but certainly not Constantinople which was occupied for the first time in 1204 (Western crusaders). Vladimir offered to withdraw and also to provide military assistance to the Byzantine Emperor (in order to aid him with some internal conflicts). The deal was ofc that he would be allowed to marry the Emperor's sister. For that to happen however, Vladimir would first have to be baptised. And he did.

Not sure if anyone cares. I like Byzantine history though.
Original post by Cornelius
A) The Byzantines were the ultimate cultural imperialists of their period and had wanted for a long time to Christianise the Rus. Vladimir's envoys had already participated in a liturgy designed by the Byzantines to lure the Rus to Christianity (apparently, the envoys were dazzled by the service) 10 years before Vladimir was baptised. So I don't think anyone was forced to baptise Vladimir.

B) Vladimir occupied a military base in Crimea but certainly not Constantinople which was occupied for the first time in 1204 (Western crusaders). Vladimir offered to withdraw and also to provide military assistance to the Byzantine Emperor (in order to aid him with some internal conflicts). The deal was ofc that he would be allowed to marry the Emperor's sister. For that to happen however, Vladimir would first have to be baptised. And he did.

Not sure if anyone cares. I like Byzantine history though.

That's very different to what I heard! This is the reason why I don't study history anymore its because accurate historical resources are so difficult find and there are so many versions of a story it makes one's head spin! :smile:
That's very different to what I heard! This is the reason why I don't study history anymore its because accurate historical resources are so difficult find and there are so many versions of a story it makes one's head spin! :smile:

I am confident that there's no version of the story where the Byzantines didn't want to Christianise the Rus (it doesn't even make sense if you think about it) or that Vladimir occupied Constantinople (!).
Original post by Friendly Liberal
He probably means that they have better healthcare system and their HDI is higher than the UK, Norway is actually in first place globally.

You might be able to sue House Of Fraser for that....

Do they have lots of reported premature deaths like what has been happening in NHS hospitals here?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
They are a true master race, so advanced. They're also really good-looking.

mein fuhrer
The only thing I know is that they are the most beautiful people :redface:
Original post by Cornelius
I am confident that there's no version of the story where the Byzantines didn't want to Christianise the Rus (it doesn't even make sense if you think about it) or that Vladimir occupied Constantinople (!).

Are your sources English/European? Well Russia and England/Europe has had bad relations over the years some even say it was at cold war with each other at one point although this stuff is still quite unknown to most, in that case I would highly question your sources if they are coming from a third party, they may have been recorded wrongly in the first place.
The only sources I trust are ones coming directly from the country of concern, just because of political reasons and potential bias.
And there was an almost seige of Constantinople http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Constantinople_(860)
(I know this is wikipedia but bear with me)
Although it does not mention Vladimir taking it over, it does state that the Rus occupied it first but in a documentary I watched, it mentioned Vladimir.
Here is another source I found:
Anxious to avoid the siege of his capital, Basil II turned to the Rus' for assistance, even though they were considered enemies at that time. Vladimir agreed, in exchange for a marital tie; he also agreed to accept Orthodox Christianity as his religion and bring his people to the new faith. When the wedding arrangements were settled, Vladimir dispatched 6,000 troops to the Byzantine Empire and they helped to put down the revolt.
It proves that Vladimir did occupy Constantinople and did accept Christianity in exchange of marrying the empress. (Some, we'll call it, 'stories' even say that he only married the empress to be baptized because they did not want to baptize him as they saw him as a barbaric pagan and the only way to attain this was through marriage which was bought by his help in preventing further turmoil in Constantinople).
It also makes sense because there was a Rus'-Byzantine War in 860.

My point is that sources contradict each other and history is really quite a frustrating subject if you think about it. I want to be a journalist, so probing for the truth is something I instinctively do and that is why I find the study of history so vexing!

Quick Reply

Latest