The Student Room Group

Life after death

Scroll to see replies

There is a life after death to suggest otherwise is ignorant. I cannot provide you with the proof you seek because I'm not dead...yet and I haven't experienced it myself but to think the current lack of proof means that there is no life after death is just, well...convenient. I suppose it fits in with leading a life without the need to worry about your actions affecting your after life, that is, you don't have to answer for all the immoral things that you did like getting drunk and having sex out of wedlock.

Original post by 8472
No.

I believe there is nothing. Like when you're asleep. There is often just nothing.

This is so grossly inaccurate that I fell out of my chair. When you sleep your brain doesn't switch off, in fact the brain does some extraordinary activities when you're sleeping and I'm not talking about dreaming. Sleep is an important part of learning via helping us remember sequence of events, recover forgotten memories and preserve emotional memories.There is a
Reply 21
Original post by Marky Mark

This is so grossly inaccurate that I fell out of my chair. When you sleep your brain doesn't switch off, in fact the brain does some extraordinary activities when you're sleeping and I'm not talking about dreaming. Sleep is an important part of learning via helping us remember sequence of events, recover forgotten memories and preserve emotional memories.There is a

I know. But the idea of that nothingness. I'm not saying when you sleep your brain just turns off. I'm saying death is just nothingness. Like sometimes when you sleep there is just nothing. You fall asleep then wake up. You know of nothing invetween.
Original post by 8472
I know. But the idea of that nothingness. I'm not saying when you sleep your brain just turns off. I'm saying death is just nothingness. Like sometimes when you sleep there is just nothing. You fall asleep then wake up. You know of nothing invetween.

I know what you meant and just because we don't remember it when we wake up doesn't mean it didn't happen. Think of a baby in the mother's womb that's about to be born. It was alive and kicking just before it was born, it was conscious. The fact that you don't remember it when you're born or say when you're old enough to attempt to recall the memories doesn't mean it didn't happen.
Original post by Sena5
Do you believe in life after death? Why so?

Please vote above in the poll!

LOool! ''Life after death'', wouldn't you be dead? If you know what I meann ? lol
Reply 24
I have to question the intelligence of those who think there isn't life after death.. it's very worrying, spirits obviously exist so ceasing to fully exist is not true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
I believe in life after death purely because of religious reasons. You guys have been talking about what happens when we're sleeping. I believe that when we sleep our soul is lifted out of our body and returns to good. During this the angles are reporting your dees good and bad. Then god returns your soul and you are awake. To those who die in their sleep is believed to be because your soul has not been returned. The religion is Islam by the way, i forgot to mention it at the begining. This is why god is the first thing we should remember when we are awake and the last at night. Others may have different beliefs according to thier religions. This is just mine.
I do believe in life after death because of personal gnosis and other such experiences. I do, however, entertain the possibility that I could be wrong and just as delusional as anyone else.
There is a life after death to suggest otherwise is ignorant. I cannot provide you with the proof you seek because I'm not dead...yet and I haven't experienced it myself but to think the current lack of proof means that there is no life after death is just, well...convenient. I suppose it fits in with leading a life without the need to worry about your actions affecting your after life, that is, you don't have to answer for all the immoral things that you did like getting drunk and having sex out of wedlock.

Not really, you assume everyone who believes in an afterlife does so for reward/punishment of their earthly actions. I believe in an afterlife and at the same time I believe I can do whatever the hell I like on earth and not be punished or judged for it, ever.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Not really, you assume everyone who believes in an afterlife does so for reward/punishment of their earthly actions. I believe in an afterlife and at the same time I believe I can do whatever the hell I like on earth and not be punished or judged for it, ever.

I guess I didn't account for the delusional people in my explanation!
I guess I didn't account for the delusional people in my explanation!

The irony :laugh:
Reply 30
Personally, i don't think there is anything. Once we're done, it's back to the dirt. However, i'd never criticise anyone for thinking otherwise. You just never know.. :wink:
Original post by Leftee
Personally, i don't think there is anything. Once we're done, it's back to the dirt. However, i'd never criticise anyone for thinking otherwise. You just never know.. :wink:

Better to take precautions right..you just never know, you might be heading to hell and guilt forever :wink:

What do you think is the difference of your "state" , years before you were born and years after you die?
Yes - because of scripture :smile:
I used to be a Christian until someone said what was it like in the years before your birth, the nothingness, that's what it will be like after your death. It just clicked with me and made me become an atheist (and it was just the words of a fellow sixteen year old student in one of my a-level classes a few years ago lol). I find the idea of there being no life after death more comforting than the idea of a heaven.
Not really sure, but I'm more leaning towards the 'no'. Obviously I hope there is life after death, as the idea of just ceasing to exist for the rest of eternity scares the **** outta me. All your memories, feelings, thoughts just gone. :/
Reply 35
Original post by AngelPhys
LOool! ''Life after death'', wouldn't you be dead? If you know what I meann ? lol

i dont understand.
Reply 36
Original post by Maid Marian
I believe that some of us will go to Aslan's country.

Really do you is that what you believe

Posted from TSR Mobile
I once read somewhere this thing that said 'What if the light we see when we die is actually just the lights from the hospital as you exit the womb?'

And I've believed it ever since.
I reckon there could be. All of us our made of energy and energy never dies. Whether its contained in our bodies or transformed into the earth and joins the "circle of life", our souls and energy still exist. Just a thought

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Novascope
You're correct about the decay of your brain, but a lot of people who believe in life after death don't think our physical bodies continue living, that would be ridiculous... It's more about your soul/spirit leading another life.

All the life I've known so far has been purely the result of my interaction with the physical world. Any other kind of life would pretty much be the same as non-existence to me. I don't know how someone can be said to be alive in any meaningful sense at all if they're not constantly experiencing a rush a sensation which, as far as we know, arises from being in contact with material objects.

Quick Reply

Latest