The Student Room Group

Russian vs Arabic vs Mandarin

Does anyone have an opinion on the relative amount of time it would take someone who is relatively good at picking up European languages to master ( i.e. C1 on the European framework) one of these from scratch?
This would be based mainly on self-learning and evening classes, probably with only holidays to countries where the language is spoken initially.

I am interested in the possibility of learning one of Russian, Arabic or Mandarin as they are official languages at the U.N.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Which would you like most?

And which other languages do you already know?
Reply 2
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Which would you like most?

And which other languages do you already know?

I know French, German and some Italian. I've also dabbled in Spanish and Greek.

I would be interested in learning more Greek for reasons of personal interest but I'm not sure how useful it would be from an work point of view.

It's hard to say which I would like the most without having a go at all of them.
But I'm interested in learning a more challenging language...
Original post by El.Guapo
I know French, German and some Italian. I've also dabbled in Spanish and Greek.

I would be interested in learning more Greek for reasons of personal interest but I'm not sure how useful it would be from an work point of view.

It's hard to say which I would like the most without having a go at all of them.
But I'm interested in learning a more challenging language...

Ah je vois.

Je dirais que si tu es fort en allemand, tu devrais apprendre le russe cependant n'importe qu'elle langue serait utile pour toi.

Les trois langues ont leur propre alphabet...

Go for Russian/Arabic!
Reply 4
Ah je vois.

Je dirais que si tu es fort en allemand, tu devrais apprendre le russe cependant n'importe qu'elle langue serait utile pour toi.

Les trois langues ont leur propre alphabet...

Go for Russian/Arabic!

Sais-tu l'arabe ou le russe?
Reply 5
Does anyone have an opinion on the relative amount of time it would take someone who is relatively good at picking up European languages to master ( i.e. C1 on the European framework) one of these from scratch?
This would be based mainly on self-learning and evening classes, probably with only holidays to countries where the language is spoken initially.

I am interested in the possibility of learning one of Russian, Arabic or Mandarin as they are official languages at the U.N.

Arabic is a European Language? :lolwut:
Sais-tu l'arabe ou le russe?

Je peux les lire :lol: mais malheureusement, je comprends rien!
Reply 7
I've only learned Russian of those three, but I'd say it should be pretty feasible to self-teach, especially with the evening classes to keep you on track. The alphabet isn't hard to handle at all once you start using it in context and although there are more cases in Russian, I think the case system in German kind of prepares you for it. I've only learned it to GCSE level though, I have heard the grammar steps right up when you get further on.
Reply 8
Original post by Enoxial
Arabic is a European Language? :lolwut:

Lol, of course not. I was just trying to offer an indication of my linguistic abilities.
Reply 9
Original post by jm925
I've only learned Russian of those three, but I'd say it should be pretty feasible to self-teach, especially with the evening classes to keep you on track. The alphabet isn't hard to handle at all once you start using it in context and although there are more cases in Russian, I think the case system in German kind of prepares you for it. I've only learned it to GCSE level though, I have heard the grammar steps right up when you get further on.

Spasiba :smile:

Did you enjoy it?
Reply 10
Je peux les lire :lol: mais malheureusement, je comprends rien!

Tu as appris seulement les alphabets?

Did you enjoy it?

你知道学中文

Does that appeal to you?

Or...

Я тебя... Can't remember anything :frown: jheez

Or
ال قاتلي قطعة مني
Arabic is really difficult and would take a while to learn. Go for another one :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study Arabic at university and it's a very difficult language to learn but immensely rewarding at the same time
Reply 14

Did you enjoy it?

Yeah, I did it alongside my A2s which got a bit stressful but I'm glad I stuck with it, it's a nice ice-breaker if nothing else :smile:
Original post by Calllu-m
I study Arabic at university and it's a very difficult language to learn but immensely rewarding at the same time

Oh wow, do you know of any resources to learn it? From a grammar base? I can already read it in terms of making the sounds.
Reply 16
Original post by Calllu-m

What do you find difficult?
Reply 17
Original post by jm925
Yeah, I did it alongside my A2s which got a bit stressful but I'm glad I stuck with it, it's a nice ice-breaker if nothing else :smile:

Well done. That's really cool :smile:

Do you think you will continue with it?
Reply 18
Just a note - I use Quizlet for languages which I'd thoroughly recommend. It gets a bit complicated when you've got another alphabet but for Russian I just switch my phone keyboard and use the app :smile:
Oh wow, do you know of any resources to learn it? From a grammar base? I can already read it in terms of making the sounds.

Al kitaab and alif ba are good introductory texts and there's an old grammar book a friend gave me. I'd use YouTube to look up pronunciation of letters

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending