The Student Room Group

Sell my car of take it to Uni?

First off, I currently live in Colchester, Essex, and I'll be attending university in Aberdeen, Scotland. So keeping my car would be purely for recreational uses and maybe job hunting.

I currently drive a Peugeot 107, red in colour, 59 plate, about 40,000 miles on the clock, and in really good condition. Come September I can either pay £220 for the year and take it with me, and pay for inflated student insurance but have the benefit of having a car at all times, or sell it as my parents don't want to keep it unused on the driveway (which is shared with a neighbor who gets very funny every time a new car appears, even for five minutes). It is worth about £3500 (quick google, could be less).

If anyone took their car to uni, did it help you in any way? I'm more worried about not having a car when I'm home for the holidays, but could survive without it. It's also my first car and I'm very attached to it! :colondollar:

Would you rather have the freedom or the money?

Scroll to see replies

Inflated student insurance?

I bought a car at uni. I put the address down as my home address but said the car would be kept at my uni address. I also kept my parents on as named drivers. Saying my car was kept at my uni address actually decreased my insurance price.

Very useful to me at uni. I hate getting the bus.
Reply 2
The money will help you out massively i'd go for that
Reply 3
Original post by Camoxide
Inflated student insurance?

I bought a car at uni. I put the address down as my home address but said the car would be kept at my uni address. I also kept my parents on as named drivers. Saying my car was kept at my uni address actually decreased my insurance price.

Very useful to me at uni. I hate getting the bus.

If you don't mind me asking; did you have a no claims bonus?

I lost mine right after my insurance was renewed (thanks to the BMW driver who called the police when he hit my parked car :mad:), so I won't have that helpful cost cutter :frown:
Original post by rara14
If you don't mind me asking; did you have a no claims bonus?

I lost mine right after my insurance was renewed (thanks to the BMW driver who called the police when he hit my parked car :mad:), so I won't have that helpful cost cutter :frown:

Had 0 no claims as it was my first car and I was only 18 at the time. Got 2 years now.
How much is your insurance?
Keep the car :smile:
Reply 6
Sell it and buy something better than a Peugeot after uni, they're fun to chuck round those 107's but as cars go they're dreadful
Reply 7
Original post by Y333EEE
Sell it and buy something better than a Peugeot after uni, they're fun to chuck round those 107's but as cars go they're dreadful

I love my 107! I am a girl; it's definitely a girls car :biggrin: mines been well looked after, goes pretty fast and gets a good 45-50 miles per gallon. And at £20 for a year's tax I can't complain :P
Reply 8
Original post by Camoxide
Had 0 no claims as it was my first car and I was only 18 at the time. Got 2 years now.
How much is your insurance?

With my dad as a named driver out came to about £970 but that was before the premiums went up for women under 25. My dad did offer to help me with the costs but now he's the one who wants me to sell the car.
Original post by rara14
With my dad as a named driver out came to about £970 but that was before the premiums went up for women under 25. My dad did offer to help me with the costs but now he's the one who wants me to sell the car.

it was £860 for me as an 18 year old male (before the whole equal price stuff) with two parents as named drivers. But with the dreaded black box.

Might be worth taking any part time jobs (if you have one) off the insurance quote stuff. Saying I worked in a pub added £100 onto it.
Reply 10
Both?
Having a car at uni gives you freedom as uni can sometimes get boring. Having the ability to go and explore somewhere else whenever you want is priceless. It's also handy when you go shopping, when it rains and you can't be bothered to walk, looking peng driving past people blaring out Backstreet Boys. The pros outweigh the cons IMO.
Keep the car, I wish I passed whilst I was at uni, it would have saved a whole lot of grief when getting the busses. Even if you live on campus, it will still be useful for running errands with, travelling to work and back, going out with your friends, coming home to see your family etc....

it's sounds you love your car so it's seems like it would be a shame to give it up. why not take it with you and keep it for a while and if you don't need it afterall then think about selling?
I would keep it. I've lived 3 years as a student using different forms of transport every year.

First year, I used TFL and National Rail, which was fantastic albeit, sometimes exhausting if I had luggage. Second year, when I moved into Surrey, I simply walked everywhere, worst decision ever. Carrying back shopping was certainly the worst part of my week. Third year, took my Ford Fiesta back from my parents. It was the best year in terms of transport. If I was late for a lecture, I could just jump in the car. If I was out of bread, I'd just jump in the car. It also helped a great deal with my job since I work in Oxfordshire during the weekends.

So, going into forth year, I've upgraded to a BMW 320d because I'll have 2 jobs in Oxfordshire, meaning I'll be driving back more often than I did this year! Also, with my girlfriend being at Cardiff University, I couldn't bear spending £50+ on petrol getting there and back in a tiny 1.25L Fiesta every 2 weeks (To be honest, the drive wasn't bad but the poor economy on long drives was a pain). My new car does it in much, much less.

Therefore, having experienced life as a student with and without a car, I would certainly recommend you keep hold of yours. Sure, it's an extra expense, but it's so worth it.
Original post by rara14
I love my 107! I am a girl; it's definitely a girls car :biggrin: mines been well looked after, goes pretty fast and gets a good 45-50 miles per gallon. And at £20 for a year's tax I can't complain :P

Haha sorry but I'm going to be biased as I drive a German car (Skoda Octavia tdi) :P like I said they're fun to chuck round if you've got the tyres at 40psi but for everyday driving on the fast roads where I live, give me my Skoda anyday, its only £125 a year to tax, averages 53mpg and it'll sit quietly at 90 all day
Original post by Y333EEE
Haha sorry but I'm going to be biased as I drive a German car (Skoda Octavia tdi) :P like I said they're fun to chuck round if you've got the tyres at 40psi but for everyday driving on the fast roads where I live, give me my Skoda anyday, its only £125 a year to tax, averages 53mpg and it'll sit quietly at 90 all day

You don't. Stop being delusional.
Original post by Alfissti
You don't. Stop being delusional.

Goes to show how much you know, all it is is a rebadged VW Bora
Still doesn't make it a German car especially considering it isn't even made in Germany.
Original post by Alfissti
Still doesn't make it a German car especially considering it isn't even made in Germany.

OK, if you were to lift the bonnet of an Audi/Seat/VW with the AHF/ASV tdi engine in it you'll find its exactly the same as the engine bay of my Octavia. I'm well aware Some Octavia's were made prior to the VAG takeover in 2000, but mines a 2002. I'm also well aware of the fact its assembled in the Czech Republic but all the parts you'll find in it are German! Do your homework before you argue next time son!!
Original post by Y333EEE
OK, if you were to lift the bonnet of an Audi/Seat/VW with the AHF/ASV tdi engine in it you'll find its exactly the same as the engine bay of my Octavia. I'm well aware Some Octavia's were made prior to the VAG takeover in 2000, but mines a 2002. I'm also well aware of the fact its assembled in the Czech Republic but all the parts you'll find in it are German! Do your homework before you argue next time son!!

Still doesn't change the fact you drive a Czech branded car.

Either way it has nothing to do with the topic.

Am out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending