The Student Room Group

College isnt for me

Hi,
okay so I never really got what people said when they told me college isn't for everyone until I joined. Now i'm starting to understand it really isn't for me, but college is compulsory. I lack motivation to do my courses, I don't particularly enjoy any of them, one of my biggest regrets not taking courses for me personally but for my education. I didn't always feel so negative towards college, at the beginning of the yr I put effort in but despite my effort I was only getting at the best a C grade, and that was going from getting a* in gcse to C's in alevels, I know the grade boundaries are different when it comes to alevels but my parents don't understand all they see is the bad grade and therefore are disappointed. My teachers constantly tell me i'm dumb and one even tried to kick me out of his course for wasting his time. All I did was get a D in my very first essay. Then for one of my subjects I lost my coursework, and had to do 4 months of work within one. I couldn't handle it, lost the will and consequently my teacher got my parents involved to the point where I was going into college on holidays. Then after all this I came home from college one day to get shouted at from my parents to say they had a call home from my college saying I could not come back next yr. I felt like all that work went down the drain. Also i suffer from bad illnesses, so i miss a lot of college meaning i struggled to keep ontop of work. Even though i notified my college at the start with a doctors letter that this would affect my attendance, they tried to accuse me of lying about my sickness and bunking. Now i don't want to go back next yr, but my parents seem to think if i don't that is the end of all my prospects and wont get anywhere in life. I need help and guidance big time! Thankyou!
Could you perhaps repeat your AS year at a new sixth form?
Start again, do what you want to do and find interesting rather than going for something anyone else wants you to do. I left my 6thform a few months into AS Levels because I didnt like my subjects, went back the following year doing what I wanted to do and now im at uni!
It's normal to drop two/three grades going up to AS level (I went from A/B at GCSE to D/E in the first half of Year 12), but it sounds to me like you have a very unsupportive school, especially considering your personal circumstances. As posters above have said, start from scratch at a totally new school.
Reply 4
Original post by Purple-Pixie
Could you perhaps repeat your AS year at a new sixth form?
My college actually presented that option because they believe im failing so badly, but even for that i have to get an average of a D grade to retake. And personally I do not wish to go through another year and that college , I can't see myself getting a good education there at all. And since they've given me such poor report grades for attendance ect no other college will have me. So basically im stuck on what to do.
Reply 5
Original post by loperdoper
It's normal to drop two/three grades going up to AS level (I went from A/B at GCSE to D/E in the first half of Year 12), but it sounds to me like you have a very unsupportive school, especially considering your personal circumstances. As posters above have said, start from scratch at a totally new school.

Yeah i understand that's the norm for as levels. What i didn't find fair about it was when i would be getting D's in my work and essays, but when my report card came through my teacher had put me on a U?! My parents literally flipped to this day i still don't get why (this is the teacher that tried to through me of his course my parents had to get involved) all i know is that uni's will see my report card and not be very impressed! My college is meant to be one of the best believe it or not, personally from the way they've gone about things i think their very far from it! But thanks i guess that is always a option.
Original post by rach169
My college is meant to be one of the best believe it or not, personally from the way they've gone about things i think their very far from it!

Ah, best academically =/= best for you. I have a friend who wasn't doing so well in our school, went to a private school for half a year and hated it so much he came back. Although the private school should have been better than our comp, it was just a better enviroment for him in terms of social life and the teacher support.
Reply 7
Ah, best academically =/= best for you. I have a friend who wasn't doing so well in our school, went to a private school for half a year and hated it so much he came back. Although the private school should have been better than our comp, it was just a better enviroment for him in terms of social life and the teacher support.

That's so true! I got so lost in the title of 'best college' that i was looking for the problem in me instead of the fault being on behalf of the college. Sure it may be good for others but i don't click with it at all. The social life is good there, students (not teachers) r lovely i will be sad to leave, education wise not so much. im looking at another college which is in partnership with my current one. Only downside is the social life is rough, but if it means having a good education just gotta deal with it i guess.
Original post by rach169
That's so true! I got so lost in the title of 'best college' that i was looking for the problem in me instead of the fault being on behalf of the college. Sure it may be good for others but i don't click with it at all. The social life is good there, students (not teachers) r lovely i will be sad to leave, education wise not so much. im looking at another college which is in partnership with my current one. Only downside is the social life is rough, but if it means having a good education just gotta deal with it i guess.

Your social life doesn't necessarily have to suffer! You'll still be able to meet with your friends outside of school (hopefully), and obviously you'll make friends in the new sixth form, so it won't be all bad!
Reply 9
Your social life doesn't necessarily have to suffer! You'll still be able to meet with your friends outside of school (hopefully), and obviously you'll make friends in the new sixth form, so it won't be all bad!

Hopefully haha yh the new college im looking at has a reputation but just because of it doesn't mean there wont be nice people there. Thing is sorry to put it on you but im just afraid I go there and it turns out just as bad. Feels like i'm making a huge gamble and im scared it will turn out for worse. Also will I need to pass my as levels to redo the whole yr again?
Original post by rach169
Hopefully haha yh the new college im looking at has a reputation but just because of it doesn't mean there wont be nice people there. Thing is sorry to put it on you but im just afraid I go there and it turns out just as bad. Feels like i'm making a huge gamble and im scared it will turn out for worse. Also will I need to pass my as levels to redo the whole yr again?

You don't know until you've tried, basically, but with what you've said before it honestly sounds like it'd be hard for you to have much of a worse experience. As for whether or not you need to pass your AS levels to re-take, it depends on the college. My sixth form only kicks you out if your attendance is unexplainably poor (i.e. you're just lazy), and grades don't matter. However, your potential college may be different, so it's always worth emailing them just to double-check.
Reply 11
You don't know until you've tried, basically, but with what you've said before it honestly sounds like it'd be hard for you to have much of a worse experience. As for whether or not you need to pass your AS levels to re-take, it depends on the college. My sixth form only kicks you out if your attendance is unexplainably poor (i.e. you're just lazy), and grades don't matter. However, your potential college may be different, so it's always worth emailing them just to double-check.

Yeah I thin my mum just wants me to stick to the safer option which is too stick to where I am, but I need to do whats best for my grades. Obviously once I move there is no going back but that's true likely hood of it being worse is not so much. I will ring them on Monday and see, thanks for reassuring me otherwise I may of gone another yr in dead end college :smile:
Original post by rach169
Yeah I thin my mum just wants me to stick to the safer option which is too stick to where I am, but I need to do whats best for my grades. Obviously once I move there is no going back but that's true likely hood of it being worse is not so much. I will ring them on Monday and see, thanks for reassuring me otherwise I may of gone another yr in dead end college :smile:

Sensible option, even if it does mean going against your parents. Against advice of my father, I decided to drop physics in the few weeks after AS so I could go into A2 with biology, maths and media studies. Media may look "softer" on my application, but it means I'll turn out with better A-level grades.
Good luck with everything in the future!
Grow up and ditch the friends you will not speak to most of them in 2 years when you finish a levels. You need to strengthen mentally aswell and get some goals at the forefront if your mind to act as motivational tools/aspirations
Original post by neal95
Grow up and ditch the friends you will not speak to most of them in 2 years when you finish a levels. You need to strengthen mentally aswell and get some goals at the forefront if your mind to act as motivational tools/aspirations

Harsh but nevertheless, true

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest