The Student Room Group

What is it like to be beautiful/handsome

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dire wolf
probably not even that great: you'd get bored of the extra attention very quickly.

Lol this isn't true in the slightest, it's not like being a celebrity where you are constantly pestered and surrounded by people on the street.
For boys it's great, loads of female attention, much easier to approach women in the street without being considered a creep. Also as long as you aren't too boring, no matter how good your "game" is you can pretty much pull any girl you want. On the downside, you get considered a "player" a lot, although this is incredibly easy to overcome and is nothing compared to the positives.

Also boys aren't bitchy about looks, we don't feel threatened by having good looking friends, you will most likely be treated better. Think about it, looks and confidence normally go together so you assume the best looking boys have the best social life so you try and be friends with them to widen your social circle.
Original post by Maid Marian
Life would be a breeze in comparison.

In comparison to what
Original post by Pussy Galore
In comparison to what

In comparison to being ugly.
Reply 23
I've notice that the same jokes said by people of varying attractiveness can have extremely different reactions. For example, if I made an attempt to make a witty comment to one particular girl I know, I would be branded a moron. When a more attractive guy makes a joke, it somehow has more comic quality...

Life sucks, eh?
In comparison to being ugly.

are you speaking from personal experience?
Original post by Friendly Liberal
Yes and you're a fine example which supports what I said about women being discriminated based on their looks, although you probably haven't experienced discrimination in the work place.

My friend is very attractive, yet not so bright. She is bullied by other women in her office to the extent that she had to quit her job. As I said, being attractive as a woman is a BAD THING in the work place because other women see you as threatening to their integrity.

Men have it so much easier. An attractive guy is 'Meh' as guys aren't as territorial as women, at least not the gay ones.

Agree with this. That's really sad about your friend. I don't talk much about work here because I'm easily identifiable but there are some women who've made a snap judgement of me sadly

I'm not like it to other women
Original post by Johnpeters
Lol this isn't true in the slightest, it's not like being a celebrity where you are constantly pestered and surrounded by people on the street.
For boys it's great, loads of female attention, much easier to approach women in the street without being considered a creep. Also as long as you aren't too boring, no matter how good your "game" is you can pretty much pull any girl you want. On the downside, you get considered a "player" a lot, although this is incredibly easy to overcome and is nothing compared to the positives.

Also boys aren't bitchy about looks, we don't feel threatened by having good looking friends, you will most likely be treated better. Think about it, looks and confidence normally go together so you assume the best looking boys have the best social life so you try and be friends with them to widen your social circle.

Men don't care about looks to the extent women do. Granted, this forum has a lot of insecure males but I'm talking about the general population. An attractive guy is no where as near threatening as an attractive woman - I'm talking model material. This is because, and I know this from experience, women are very territorial and competitive, as it's a woman's role to always look beautiful etc.

Now if you're a model with a great personality applying for an office job, you'll likely either be rejected or face a lot of discrete discrimination and by this I mean less opportunities than most. Think about it, if I'm another 'uglier' woman, this model may push her way into my job and be promoted quicker than me etc. Sad and petty though this is, it is unfortunately very true, as my friend has experienced this first hand
(edited 9 years ago)
are you speaking from personal experience?

Mhm.
Mhm.

so you're ugly then?
Reply 29
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
It's also amusing how it's totally OK for an ugly person to openly acknowledge their ugliness, yet when a handsome person does the same, they're labelled as 'arrogant'.

It's modesty, isn't it? Intentional or not, claiming to be attractive assumes some form of superiority.
Original post by Hariex
It's modesty, isn't it? Intentional or not, claiming to be attractive assumes some form of superiority.

So does acknowledging your intelligence, wealth, or anything others can be jealous of then? People shouldn't have to keep quiet because others are jealous
Original post by Hariex

I don't see how it has to be interpreted as a superiority complex or whatever if the person simply acknowledges that they know they're good-looking without it being at anyone's expense or belittlement.
Men don't care about looks to the extent women do. Granted, this forum has a lot of insecure males but I'm talking about the general population. An attractive guy is no where as near threatening as an attractive woman - I'm talking model material. This is because, and I know this from experience, women are very territorial and competitive, as it's a woman's role to always look beautiful etc.

Now if you're a model with a great personality applying for an office job, you'll likely either be rejected or face a lot of discrete discrimination and by this I mean less opportunities than most. Think about it, if I'm another 'uglier' woman, this model may push her way into my job and be promoted quicker than me etc. Sad and petty though this is, it is unfortunately very true, as my friend has experienced this first hand

So why would the model have fewer opportunities then? By saying they could get promoted quicker, youre suggesting they have more opportunities? There may be more discrete discrimination from those of the same sex although positive discrimination from the opposite sex. Also if you've got friends elsewhere and you're getting greater opportunities in the work place in comparison to the bitter workmates, I would take this any day of the week.
so you're ugly then?

Mhm.
Most of my attention, if any is due to my arms, this being because they're above normal size.
Reply 35
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
So does acknowledging your intelligence, wealth, or anything others can be jealous of then? People shouldn't have to keep quiet because others are jealous

To be honest, I can't explain why I feel it sounds arrogant. I think that it comes down to things we associate with those kinds of comments, like ego and arrogance. Certainly, that's how a lot of characters in films and cartoons are presented.

Also, I think that the intention of somebody claiming that they are more attractive is questionable. It is obviously a public statement and has the inadvertent effect of belittling somebody, somebody whose self-esteem might not be as high. Of course, it can border on jealousy, though I do not consider this to be the sole reason for somebody's dislike of self-flattery.
Reply 36
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I don't see how it has to be interpreted as a superiority complex or whatever if the person simply acknowledges that they know they're good-looking without it being at anyone's expense or belittlement.

Certainly. However, I do not think that there is an instance where belittlement is not a direct consequence of someone's self-flattery. Unless they're by themselves, in which case they are extremely vain. :rolleyes:
Original post by Johnpeters

you're not going to get pestered in public, regardless of how good looking you are; people really aren't that horny, have reached to stage where looks aren't the only important factor in their minds, and are generally too busy to be fooling around on the street, in the way that you've described.
You've described the reaction of a 13-year-old girl that has met Biebz for the first time - get real!

I've never tried to befriend a hot guy to get a chance at sloppy seconds lol. I make friends with people that I share interests with, admire etc. - doesn't everyone do this? If not, I'm surprised that people are willing to sell themselves out just to get a bit of casual sex.
I'm not a virgin.
(edited 9 years ago)
Well being attractive if you're female will likely work against you in the work place if there's a lot of other women. This is because of jealously and competition among women, as they fear that other women may move in on their relationship and be favored over them by their boss. This is why a lot of female employers will employ average looking people to eliminate competition.

Call it attractive discrimination if you must but I and my friends have personally witnessed this. So, if you're born average looking, the world is your oyster in both relationships and the work place where you'll be seen as neutral and nonthreatening by other attractive people.

100% true and real life. My sister got fired from a law firm because some jealous girls sabotaged her work rofl.
Being different always gives you problems.

Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
You'd get more of a response if you asked in relationships so people can reply on anon. As soon as someone says their experience they'll get slated by bitter people on here.

Anyway. I'm "attractive". Not stunning but I'm striking and I look decent. Girls are vile to me and always have been. Bitchy, nasty, vindictive and cruel. Sarcastic comments about my looks "your boobs will sag when you're older anyway" "who are you trying to impress with your makeup?" "Do you ever worry guys don't actually like you?", leaving me out of things "don't invite her, [x) is there and I don't want her stealing the attention", starting rumours or just generally judging me "she looks like such a diva". I could go on.

The flip side, I get free samples and discounts from male shop assistants a lot :lol:

Before anyone comments with " lol ur ugly!!1!" Or some crap because I've had the audacity to have self confidence these are things that happened

loled at those comments.

With me I pretty much got bullied all through yr 10 and 11 because I had girls from pretty much all year groups including 6th form flirting with me all the time or following me around(the young ones (yr 7-8)). And the boys in my year used to talk **** about me all the time and start fights with me. I was pretty much a loner and never talked to anyone apart from the geeky WoW kids as well. The girls always came up to me. Same with the other boys.

Nowadays a lot of childish males instantly judge me as a 'douche bag player' (and I don't even actively approach girls I just do my own thing) and dislike me straight away without knowing me and try to do the bitchy stuff you 2 described rofl. It's mostly the ones that follow the nerd/fedora stereotype that act this way. I get a lot of **** from girls in this stereotype as well now.

It's worse for me because I look different from everyone(ethnicity). So there's racism involved. It's like that whole thing where you get bitter white boys hating black men when they have a white girlfriend.

Compliments are nice though lol.
Original post by ChickenMadness
100% true and real life. My sister got fired from a law firm because some jealous girls sabotaged her work rofl.
Being different always gives you problems.

loled at those comments.

With me I pretty much got bullied all through yr 10 and 11 because I had girls from pretty much all year groups including 6th form flirting with me all the time or following me around(the young ones (yr 7-8)). And the boys in my year used to talk **** about me all the time and start fights with me. I was pretty much a loner and never talked to anyone apart from the geeky WoW kids as well. The girls always came up to me. Same with the other boys.

Nowadays a lot of childish males instantly judge me as a 'douche bag player' (and I don't even actively approach girls I just do my own thing) and dislike me straight away without knowing me and try to do the bitchy stuff you 2 described rofl. It's mostly the ones that follow the nerd/fedora stereotype that act this way. I get a lot of **** from girls in this stereotype as well now.

It's worse for me because I look different from everyone(ethnicity). So there's racism involved. It's like that whole thing where you get bitter white boys hating black men when they have a white girlfriend.

Compliments are nice though lol.

Sorry that happened :frown: I had similar experiences but reversed. People are dicks

Quick Reply

Latest