The Student Room Group

Russian vs Arabic vs Mandarin

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jm925
Just a note - I use Quizlet for languages which I'd thoroughly recommend. It gets a bit complicated when you've got another alphabet but for Russian I just switch my phone keyboard and use the app :smile:

Duolingo is also really good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by El.Guapo
What do you find difficult?

The grammar. There's a table you have to learn of how to pronounce Verbs based on the letters in them, it sounds really confusing and it is. I still don't know it properly so I'm going to make it my mission this summer
Reply 22
Original post by Calllu-m
The grammar. There's a table you have to learn of how to pronounce Verbs based on the letters in them, it sounds really confusing and it is. I still don't know it properly so I'm going to make it my mission this summer

Sounds like a real mushkela... Good luck.

Which version of Arabic are you learning?
(edited 9 years ago)
Sounds like a real mushkela... Good luck.

Which version of Arabic are you learning?

Modern standard and I want to learn either Egyptian or the Gulf dialect
Al kitaab and alif ba are good introductory texts and there's an old grammar book a friend gave me. I'd use YouTube to look up pronunciation of letters

Ah, pronunciation I can do from reading Quran and that.

I'll have a look.
Reply 25
Modern standard and I want to learn either Egyptian or the Gulf dialect

I presume modern standard is what they use at organisations like the U.N.?

Yeah, it would be.
Reply 27
Original post by jm925
Just a note - I use Quizlet for languages which I'd thoroughly recommend. It gets a bit complicated when you've got another alphabet but for Russian I just switch my phone keyboard and use the app :smile:

Hey, thanks. Looks really useful!

Yeah it's the formal dialect - fusha, as opposed to amiya, the regional dialects
Lol, of course not. I was just trying to offer an indication of my linguistic abilities.

Not to discourage you but Arabic is very hard and if you dedicate full time efforts with a teacher who has mastered this language it'll still take many years. Its beneficial if you have almost complete command over Persian, Urdu Etc

The single word كَتَبَ tells:
1) The Verb
2) Tense whether Past/Present/Future
3) How many persons are involved (One, two or more than two)
4) Person doing the verb is a male or a female.
5) The person who does the verb is known or not.
6) At the time of speech was the person present there or not?

Another thing is Google Translate wont help you with this (Google translates كَتَبَ to Books) and any other translation program wont give as much detail (It would say كَتَبَ means Write)
Original post by Enoxial
Not to discourage you but Arabic is very hard and if you dedicate full time efforts with a teacher who has mastered this language it'll still take many years. Its beneficial if you have almost complete command over Persian, Urdu Etc

1) The Verb

Another thing is Google Translate wont help you with this (Google translates كَتَبَ to Books) and any other translation program wont give as much detail (It would say كَتَبَ means Write)

But it's just a bunch of inflections and that.
Original post by L'Evil Fish
But it's just a bunch of inflections and that.

Isn't that one of the things that make it interesting?
Original post by Enoxial
X

Yeah, it's fun! But I wouldn't say it were overly difficult.
Reply 33
Original post by Enoxial

1) The Verb

Shokran - that's really interesting!! I suppose one of the reason I would go for Arabic would be because it's less vulnerable to machine translation...
Shokran - that's really interesting!! I suppose one of the reason I would go for Arabic would be because it's less vulnerable to machine translation...

Good point, because then you can't easily be replaced.

I think its Shukran but spelling doesn't matter unless you convey your view :lol:
Good Luck :h:
Reply 36
Original post by Enoxial
I think its Shukran but spelling doesn't matter unless you convey your view :lol:
Good Luck :h:

Convey my view?
你知道学中文

Does that appeal to you?

Or...

Я тебя... Can't remember anything :frown: jheez

Or
ال قاتلي قطعة مني

люблю?
Op, know nothing about chinese but both arabic and russian are interesting, opening a whole other cultural universe.
in terms of difficulty, its kinda hard to say, but i think russian based on your background.
Original post by Harrie Lyons
люблю?
Op, know nothing about chinese but both arabic and russian are interesting, opening a whole other cultural universe.
in terms of difficulty, its kinda hard to say, but i think russian based on your background.

Yes!!! Lyebyeloo
Yes!!! Lyebyeloo

lyebyeloo?
reminds me of the russia's most famous poem:
Я вас любил: любовь ещё, быть может,
В душе моей угасла не совсем;
Но пусть она вас больше не тревожит;
Я не хочу печалить вас ничем.
Я вас любил безмолвно, безнадежно,
То робостью, то ревностью томим;
Я вас любил так искренно, так нежно,
Как дай вам Бог любимой быть другим.
put in я вас люблю in ggogla and th english will come up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending