The Student Room Group

Is 500MB of data enough for me?

Hi guys.

I am due my upgrade in the next few days and I'm looking to get an iPhone 5C. I'm just wondering if 500MB of data will be enough for me. Personally, I've never understood the data uses. I'd mostly be on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I would use my internet browser sparingly and would use Youtube quite often. Is 500MB enough? Also, does using WiFi use up the data usage? I'd be grateful for any advice given.

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Y2J97
Hi guys.

I am due my upgrade in the next few days and I'm looking to get an iPhone 5C. I'm just wondering if 500MB of data will be enough for me. Personally, I've never understood the data uses. I'd mostly be on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram. I would use my internet browser sparingly and would use Youtube quite often. Is 500MB enough? Also, does using WiFi use up the data usage? I'd be grateful for any advice given.

Thanks in advance!

500mb is ridiculously low. I use 160gb last month:redface:

Wifi doesnt affect internet data.

Youtube Kills data in minutes your 500mb will be gone.

Get unlimited data one if you going to watch videos
Original post by ubi1

That's not true! I have 250MB and I use YouTube, internet G+ and other internet-swallowing app :tongue:

160GB? :eek:

It depends on the person, how frequently is the OP going use internet and internet-based apps?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Using 160gb is just ridiculous I'm not sure I use that much on wifi and 4g combined, but if you are streaming HD YouTube everyday when not connected to WiFi you will need unlimited, if you like watching videos every now and then you can get away with 500mb quite fine but 1gb is a safe bet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by karmacrunch
That's not true! I have 250MB and I use YouTube, internet G+ and other internet-swallowing app :tongue:

160GB? :eek:

It depends on the person, how frequently is the OP going use internet and internet-based apps?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh am always watching videos in 1080p takes ton of data. Mines unlimited. If your not a frquent user then you dont need much but unlimited is best
Reply 5
Original post by ElChapo
Using 160gb is just ridiculous I'm not sure I use that much on wifi and 4g combined, but if you are streaming HD YouTube everyday when not connected to WiFi you will need unlimited, if you like watching videos every now and then you can get away with 500mb quite fine but 1gb is a safe bet

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yh watching high quality videos 1080p+ eats data for days:tongue:
Original post by ubi1

Wifi doesnt affect internet data.

160GB. What were you actually doing? That's ridiculous.

500MB is too low for your needs. 2-3GB min is what you should be looking at

Check out TSR Movie Madness
Reply 7
Original post by mynameisntbobk
160GB. What were you actually doing? That's ridiculous.

500MB is too low for your needs. 2-3GB min is what you should be looking at

Actually I miss read its 160GB in last 3 months on my laptop. If you watch 4k Videos the best quality it burns data really fast:smile:
Reply 8
I piss through about 300MB a day
500MB will probably be enough. I use social networking sites a lot on my phone and I've never gone over the limit. You could always try it and upgrade your allowance if necessary. No, using WiFi doesn't use up your mobile data - just be sure to leave watching video to when you're on a Wi-Fi network.

And 160GB is ridiculous! That's only possible if there's no WiFi access - ever - and hours of Netflix was streamed every day.
I have unlimited. I thought I would need it, but I just don't end up watching videos when away from home; so I just end up using my wifi connection.
500 meg's would be enough for the social networking etc., and the occasional video.
Original post by ubi1
Yh watching high quality videos 1080p+ eats data for days:tongue:

Why not just wait until you're on a WiFi network? Broadband is so much cheaper - and faster - than 3G and LTE.
Reply 12
Original post by doctorwhofan98
Why not just wait until you're on a WiFi network? Broadband is so much cheaper - and faster - than 3G and LTE.

Yh am on about wifi.:redface:
Original post by hellodave5
I have unlimited. I thought I would need it, but I just don't end up watching videos when away from home; so I just end up using my wifi connection.
500 meg's would be enough for the social networking etc., and the occasional video.

This, when I'm not at home I'm usually doing something where I'm not really in a mood or place to be watching loads of videos on my phone, but with the 500 mb I can still watch the occasional video that say I see on Facebook or a friend whatsapps to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubi1
Actually I miss read its 160GB in last 3 months on my laptop. If you watch 4k Videos the best quality it burns data really fast:smile:

Even still, that's a lot. Like previously asked, why not just use a wifi network?
How much does your monthly bill come to?

Edit: just realised you were talking about wifi. Op was talking about mobile data

(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Even still, that's a lot. Like previously asked, why not just use a wifi network?
How much does your monthly bill come to?

Yh I use Wifi network virgin, mines unlimited that's why I use so much:wink:
Original post by ubi1
Yh am always watching videos in 1080p takes ton of data. Mines unlimited. If your not a frquent user then you dont need much but unlimited is best

I guessed so, but then you are using the contract to its fullest so... *shrugs shoulders*
I agree :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by doctorwhofan98
500MB will probably be enough. I use social networking sites a lot on my phone and I've never gone over the limit. You could always try it and upgrade your allowance if necessary. No, using WiFi doesn't use up your mobile data - just be sure to leave watching video to when you're on a Wi-Fi network.

And 160GB is ridiculous! That's only possible if there's no WiFi access - ever - and hours of Netflix was streamed every day.

Do you think 1GB will be enough for browsing Internet regularly and Facebook?
Original post by OnionRing

Yes, definitely. Only videos would take more than 1GB
Original post by OnionRing

You should most probably be fine with 1GB. It depends on how data heavy the websites you're visiting are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending