The Student Room Group

Worth doing PGCE while on SDS scheme?

Hi all, it's my first post on here so hopefully you can give me some advice!

I start on a School Direct Salaried training scheme in September, as an English teacher at Secondary level. The PGCE course is optional and will cost me £2050 if I choose to do it.

I understand that the training year will be a tough year - even without studying on the side. As a salaried trainee, I'll get thrown in the deep end and be expected to teach unsupervised from very early on. I already have an MA degree, so I wouldn't be doing the PGCE solely for master's credits. Plus obviously £2050 is a lot of money, so is it still worth it?

I'm aware that a PGCE qualification would enable me to teach abroad (I'm not so worried about that), but would I be at a disadvantage when applying for future teaching jobs here in the UK if I only had QTS?

Outside of school, my other commitments will be learning to drive (if I don't pass in August), plus I'm in a fairly new relationship and I want to make time for us to work. Could I realistically fit in a PGCE along with a full time teaching job?

Thanks in advance!
It's not just that the PGCE will allow you to teach abroad (I think so long as you have QTS teaching abroad should be ok) but it's also that a lot of schools may not employ you later on without you having a PGCE.

I think doing the PGCE was quite useful for me because of the research I had to do for my assignments - whether it be misconceptions, specific SEN or anything else.

The main thing would be for you to find a university who would be willing to be a partner with the school to allow you to get the PGCE (The Open University maybe?)
Reply 2
Thanks for the honest advice :smile: Did you qualify through a School Direct route then?

I rang the teaching line, but they told me the opposite - that state schools were fine with QTS, only private schools and further education providers may require a PGCE. Hmmm...

My training provider (the local authority) has already partnered up with the University of Worcester, who accredit the PGCE. I received an email from them today asking me whether I'd like to do it or not. I'd need to commit and pay for the course by the end of September :s-smilie:.

It doesn't help that so many forums are full of PGCE horror stories about the stress and so on - and that's WITHOUT being on a salaried scheme >_<
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by emmdawn90
Thanks for the honest advice :smile: Did you qualify through a School Direct route then?

I rang the teaching line, but they told me the opposite - that state schools were fine with QTS, only private schools and further education providers may require a PGCE. Hmmm...

My training provider (the local authority) has already partnered up with the University of Worcester, who accredit the PGCE. I received an email from them today asking me whether I'd like to do it or not. I'd need to commit and pay for the course by the end of September :s-smilie:.

It doesn't help that so many forums are full of PGCE horror stories about the stress and so on - and that's WITHOUT being on a salaried scheme >_<

Do it. The only extra things the pgce will bring are essays. It is well worth it in the long run. Whilst state schools are okay with just QTS, some of them pay prefer a candidate with the pgce over QTS.

No as I said I did the PGCE :tongue:
Do it, as the person above, the only thing different seems to be the fact you have to do a few essays. You also then get the chance to go into uni a few times and that can be really useful for networking with your fellow trainee teachers (getting ideas, getting the chance to vent etc, getting advice, or just getting out of the classroom!)

PGCE can be horrid, but it depends on the uni, on the mentors, on the schools. What you need to remember is that the horror stories are not the majority. Thousands of places are given each year, but thousands of stories are not horror ones.
Just make sure you get support: if you're school isn't given you the support complain to your uni/union; if your uni isn't giving support go higher up.

Doing the extra research in your PGCE may incite some interest in a specific part of the teaching (i.e SEN)
Reply 5
Thanks both, I'm edging towards saying yes now :smile:

Original post by elldeegee
No as I said I did the PGCE :tongue:

I just wondered whether you did your PGCE through the uni route or through the School Direct route (like I might be).

I've heard that I'll need to write assignments while on School Direct in order to get QTS anyway, so the PGCE may simply mean just doing a little bit more on top - effectively paying for the fancy qualification title for practically the same work. Not sure how much truth is in that?

I know forums probably don't give the most accurate impression of people's experiences. If the majority of people are happily chugging along with something then they're unlikely to rant extensively about it on the internet!
Thanks both, I'm edging towards saying yes now :smile:

I just wondered whether you did your PGCE through the uni route or through the School Direct route (like I might be).

I've heard that I'll need to write assignments while on School Direct in order to get QTS anyway, so the PGCE may simply mean just doing a little bit more on top - effectively paying for the fancy qualification title for practically the same work. Not sure how much truth is in that?

I know forums probably don't give the most accurate impression of people's experiences. If the majority of people are happily chugging along with something then they're unlikely to rant extensively about it on the internet!

The assignments are purely for the pgce. I did schools direct unsalaried with the pgce.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending