The Student Room Group

Medicine gcse grades

Do you think my GCSE grades are good enough to get into medicine.

Eng Lang - B
Eng Lit- B
Geo- - A
Bio-A*
Chem-A*
Phys- A*
Maths - A*
French - A*
RE - A*
Citizenship short course - A*
FSMQ - A
IT DiDA - Merit
Yes /End thread
Reply 2
Original post by JamR
Do you think my GCSE grades are good enough to get into medicine.

Eng Lang - B
Eng Lit- B
Geo- - A
Bio-A*
Chem-A*
Phys- A*
Maths - A*
French - A*
RE - A*
FSMQ - A
IT DiDA - Merit

Your B's in english may disadvantage you for certain medical schools so be careful which ones you consider applying too!
(edited 9 years ago)
It depends on uni. You d want 6 A*s and the rest A's minimum for a top medic school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by 06shawm
Your B's in english may disadvantage you for certain medical schools so be careful which ones you consider applying too!

Do you think St George's ,queen's mary, kings and imperial will allow my gcse's for medicine
Reply 5
Original post by JamR
Do you think St George's ,queen's mary, kings and imperial will allow my gcse's for medicine

I don't think kings will they often want lots of a* at gcse and then a high ukcat. Sorry but remember there are 32 medical schools so plenty you could apply to.
Reply 6
Original post by vikram97the3rd
It depends on uni. You d want 6 A*s and the rest A's minimum for a top medic school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you think is a top med school ?
Reply 7
Original post by JamR

St George's: You have 446 points from you top 8 GCSE grades which is above average (416 points)

Queen Mary: You should be fine, B minimum in Maths/English

Kings: GCSE heavy medical school, but B minimum in Maths/English, Possibly a risky choice

Imperial: You should be fine, B minimum in Maths/English

Just to add, I doubt medical schools would take these into account

FSMQ - A
IT DiDA - Merit

So most medical schools will judge you on these

Eng Lang - B
Eng Lit- B
Geo- - A
Bio-A*
Chem-A*
Phys- A*
Maths - A*
French - A*
RE - A*
Reply 8
I got 5 a* 4a and b in English language, can I apply to kings you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Lyndonx
I got 5 a* 4a and b in English language, can I apply to kings you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Providing you get a high UKCAT score, I know people that have got into kings with lower GCSE grades than that but they had a very high UKCAT score :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by 06shawm
Providing you get a high UKCAT score, I know people that have got into kings with lower GCSE grades than that but they had a very high UKCAT score :smile:

I got 6A*, 1A and 2B for GCSE.
If I get a high ukcat score, do I have a chance of getting into King's
Original post by JamR
I got 6A*, 1A and 2B for GCSE.
If I get a high ukcat score, do I have a chance of getting into King's

I don't see why you couldn't (obviously this is just my opinion). From what I am aware, a high UKCAT score counteracts lower GCSE grades. I think your GCSE grades are decent but your going against candidates that are 'likely' to have higher GCSE grades than yours.

Obviously this is based on that your AS grades are well enough for you to be predicted AAA minimum at A2 and you have achieved a B or more in your 4th AS. Plus your personal statement is of a high standard!
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending