The Student Room Group

What are Recommended A-Levels for a Economics Degree

My friend wants to study Economics at University (LSE preferably).
Her current plan is to study Maths, Chemistry, Economics & English Literature at A-Level.

However at our school, Economics and Chemistry clash therefore cannot be taken simultaneously. She isn't too keen on taking Physics or Further Maths either.

Any recommendations for a 4th A-Level Subject?
Reply 1
Original post by CALI1198
Her current plan is to study Maths, Chemistry, Economics & English Literature at A-Level.

However at our school, Economics and Chemistry clash therefore cannot be taken simultaneously. She isn't too keen on taking Physics or Further Maths either.

History?
Original post by BBeyond
History?

lmao, you need FM - go to an open day...
Reply 3
Original post by fnatic NateDestiel

Notice where it says she isn't too keen on doing FM.
Original post by BBeyond
Notice where it says she isn't too keen on doing FM.

I noticed that you are correct, but you really need FM(talking to OP) if you don't believe me email the dean of admissions/LSE alumni etc.

Also notice OP that the course is Maths heavy so...

You know what do what you like,its not like you're going to listen to me anyway asd..
Reply 5
I noticed that you are correct, but you really need FM(talking to OP) if you don't believe me email the dean of admissions/LSE alumni etc.

Also notice OP that the course is Maths heavy so...

You know what do what you like,its not like you're going to listen to me anyway asd..

No, not at all. I will let her know. We've got in to go to their Year 11 Summer School next week so I guess we could find out more then. Just wanted to see what people on here thought.

Cheers for your help though
No, not at all. I will let her know. We've got in to go to their Year 11 Summer School next week so I guess we could find out more then. Just wanted to see what people on here thought.

Cheers for your help though

No problem, glad to help. If you mean a minor in Econ then FM may not be a necessity but it is definitely required for straight up Econ - that's what I want to do, at LSE.

Oh nice, have fun!

For LSE, she should be considering FM definitely. If she doesn't want to take a lot of maths then LSE economics isn't the course for her, because it's probably the most mathematical in the country, and LSE love people to take FM - they send out a form to applicants specifically enquiring as to if FM was taken and if not, why not. If it was given to her as an option, it doesn't look good to not have taken it. I don't want you to pressurise her into doing it, but it's not only something that top economics schools like to see, but it also is excellent course preparation. I would say that another advantage is that if you take FM, then you'll almost definitely get A* maths since it is comparative piss easy. A* maths is requirement for LSE and many other top schools. If she can't take FM with chem then she can always sit FM outside of class. I would discourage taking chem because a) it's more difficult than FM imo and b) it's dull if she's only interested in economics.

Perhaps its best if she trials with AS FM, which is a walk in the park considering the modules you can take (D1 and FP1 are easy), but FP2 and FP3 are where things get interesting and useful and these are A2 units.

So imo she should take maths, further maths, economics + any other subject she wants (I would suggest geography as its an easy alternative). She should note that LSE ask for module scores and she is expected to score highly (90+ minimum) in maths and economics to stand a chance. Never set your heart on LSE, though, since it's incredibly competitive and there's plenty of other great institutions out there, but with the subject combination recommended and a strong set of AS results then she will be able to apply where she wants and get offers.

No problem, glad to help. If you mean a minor in Econ then FM may not be a necessity but it is definitely required for straight up Econ - that's what I want to do, at LSE.

Oh nice, have fun!

It's not a requirement but it's strongly recommended
Original post by Mike_123
For LSE, she should be considering FM definitely. If she doesn't want to take a lot of maths then LSE economics isn't the course for her, because it's probably the most mathematical in the country, and LSE love people to take FM - they send out a form to applicants specifically enquiring as to if FM was taken and if not, why not. If it was given to her as an option, it doesn't look good to not have taken it. I don't want you to pressurise her into doing it, but it's not only something that top economics schools like to see, but it also is excellent course preparation. I would say that another advantage is that if you take FM, then you'll almost definitely get A* maths since it is comparative piss easy. A* maths is requirement for LSE and many other top schools. If she can't take FM with chem then she can always sit FM outside of class. I would discourage taking chem because a) it's more difficult than FM imo and b) it's dull if she's only interested in economics.

Perhaps its best if she trials with AS FM, which is a walk in the park considering the modules you can take (D1 and FP1 are easy), but FP2 and FP3 are where things get interesting and useful and these are A2 units.

So imo she should take maths, further maths, economics + any other subject she wants (I would suggest geography as its an easy alternative). She should note that LSE ask for module scores and she is expected to score highly (90+ minimum) in maths and economics to stand a chance. Never set your heart on LSE, though, since it's incredibly competitive and there's plenty of other great institutions out there, but with the subject combination recommended and a strong set of AS results then she will be able to apply where she wants and get offers.

It's not a requirement but it's strongly recommended

What he said

As long as you have maths and econ you can meet any course requirements if you score high enough, you could do subjects like psychology and RS/ethics on the side - it doesn't matter as long as you have maths/econ at A level you should be fine.

Yes FM helps, but it isn't NEEDED, if she wants to boost her chances for LSE then yes take FM, but she said she didn't want to.

Remember an A in photography is better than a B/C in FM regardless of FM arguably being much more intensive. So don't just take FM for just LSE, take maths and econ and then two other subjects which you know you can get an A in, maths has high workload. econ is very easy (my experience), so if you take two other low workload subjects it should be fine.

If she is interested in history thats good, english lit is good but it has a high workload too.
Original post by Pussy Galore
As long as you have maths and econ you can meet any course requirements if you score high enough, you could do subjects like psychology and RS/ethics on the side - it doesn't matter as long as you have maths/econ at A level you should be fine.

Yes FM helps, but it isn't NEEDED, if she wants to boost her chances for LSE then yes take FM, but she said she didn't want to.

Remember an A in photography is better than a B/C in FM regardless of FM arguably being much more intensive. So don't just take FM for just LSE, take maths and econ and then two other subjects which you know you can get an A in, maths has high workload. econ is very easy (my experience), so if you take two other low workload subjects it should be fine.

If she is interested in history thats good, english lit is good but it has a high workload too.

I'm pretty sure a B/C in FM is much stronger than an A in a mickey mouse subject like photography, LSE probably don't give a **** that you can take pictures using multiple filters and themes
Original post by Pascal678
I'm pretty sure a B/C in FM is much stronger than an A in a mickey mouse subject like photography, LSE probably don't give a **** that you can take pictures using multiple filters and themes

Not when they won't consider your application if you have a B, regardless of the subject. If you had maths/econ, you would be fine.
Not when they won't consider your application if you have a B, regardless of the subject. If you had maths/econ, you would be fine.

not denying that, I'm just saying that wouldn't consider you a very strong candidate either if you had an A in photography, its really little to no benefit to the application
Original post by Pascal678
not denying that, I'm just saying that wouldn't consider you a very strong candidate either if you had an A in photography, its really little to no benefit to the application

Well it does really, it makes up your third A. You're right an ideal candidate would have A* econ A* maths A* FM.

But let us be serious, you think OPs friend can do this? Its a big risk to take econ/math/fm/english lit, its going to be very hard. You risk getting less than an A in one of the harder subjects and not being accepted at all. Sure be ambitious in regards to your application, but be realistic or else you can end up screwing yourself. Just don't screw yourself.

Check the prospectus. Maths is required, fm is strongly recommended and econ is recommended so fm is more desired than econ so by no means is econ essential.
Check the prospectus. Maths is required, fm is strongly recommended and econ is recommended so fm is more desired than econ so by no means is econ essential.

Ok ok, change econ for physics. It doesn't matter, my point still stands. If she is serious about LSE, then yes take FM.
Ok ok, change econ for physics. It doesn't matter, my point still stands. If she is serious about LSE, then yes take FM.

Yeah that's true what pussy said here OP.
Further maths, maths, german, economics = dream team
Well I got into Accounting and finance which is kinda same as economics with math chem and bio for Bristol. but LSE is more prestigious, so further maths needs to be taken
Reply 19
Thank you everyone for contributing! Further Maths seems to be a strong theme for LSE I take it aha

Quick Reply

Latest