The Student Room Group

Dumping people by text?

What are people's thoughts on it? Have you ever done it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous

Depends on the context of the relationship. If it mattered at one point, better to dump by person. If it's cheating/ extreme anger/ doesn't really matter then text is fine.

Food for thought:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/tips/great-female-survey/break-up-statistics
Original post by huangzi
Depends on the context of the relationship. If it mattered at one point, better to dump by person. If it's cheating/ extreme anger/ doesn't really matter then text is fine.

Food for thought:

http://www.cosmopolitan.com/advice/tips/great-female-survey/break-up-statistics

No its pretty dickish to dump somebody by text. Its not really a good thing to do in general
If anyone did that to me they would get a piece of my mind and they would probably be to scared to talk to me ever again. Man up and that kind of thing face-to-face :colonhash:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
I think it's a highly sensible thing to do. People naturally complain about it because they want to feel anger to someone who's just dumped them.
If I was to be dumped, it's probably my preferred method, except maybe the Phones4U adverts. It gives me the ability to save face and calmly inform them later that I think their friend is hotter anyway.

"He took me to a nice restaurant and he dumped me in public." Sucks.
"He said he was coming over, so I got naked and made him a nice meal, but he dumped me." Sucks.
"He took me to where we first met, I thought he was going to propose and he dumped me." Sucks.
I think it's a cowardly way to break up with someone and you should do it face to face.
If you don't want to be with them then it doesn't matter how you 'dump' them
I've done it, yes. Or rather, he asked me out, I told him I wasn't sure, we had another date and then I told him by text I didn't want a relationship. He then wouldn't stop texting me.
I think it's a bit of a ****ty thing to do in most cases. People seem to see it as an easy way out, but I think it's kind of cowardly - I'd at least face the person and tell them I didn't want to be with them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty mean tbh, better to do it in person imo
Never done it and never will, unless I get Catfished or something
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
No its pretty dickish to dump somebody by text. Its not really a good thing to do in general

Cheating is pretty dickish too
Original post by hello101010
Cheating is pretty dickish too

I dont recall ever saying anything about cheating. Your point is?
Original post by Phoebe Buffay
I dont recall ever saying anything about cheating. Your point is?

The person you quoted said it's acceptable to dump by text if they cheated... you disagreed with them.
Reply 14
The person you quoted said it's acceptable to dump by text if they cheated... you disagreed with them.

I disagree too. The fact they are a dick doesn't require you to be one.
Original post by samba
I disagree too. The fact they are a dick doesn't require you to be one.

Doing it in person rather than text is a matter of respect. Cheating is the most disrespectful thing someone can do, and if someone gives you no respect I see no reason to give them any.
Reply 16
Doing it in person rather than text is a matter of respect. Cheating is the most disrespectful thing someone can do, and if someone gives you no respect I see no reason to give them any.

It's not respect, simply common courtesy.
Original post by samba
It's not respect, simply common courtesy.

So is not cheating
I've done it. Some girls can get really bitchy and aggressive when you tell them you don't want a serious relationship. Better to do it in public though so they're less likely to bitch out.
Original post by Anonymous

No. No. No. Just phone the person instead. The problem i have with this is the idea of someone else seeing it first or they get it in the wrong setting. And how is the person in denial supposed to know it came from you not someone with access to your phone?

I think it is also a respect thing, if I invested time in a relationship with you the least you can do it call me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending