The Student Room Group

why is there so much injustice in the world?

okay, so I'm not usually a pessimist, but in the past few days and weeks current events have really gotten to me - areas where injustice has happened in all areas of society.

Anyone hear about the US cop who pushed a disabled person in a wheelchair into the road, even though they weren't carrying a firearm? or the one who saw a woman in the middle of the highway, proceeded to pin her down onto the ground and punch her repeatedly in the face even though she was defenceless?

Or perhaps closer to home - Rolf Harris being imprisoned for not even six years? Jimmy Saville anyone?

Or in Israel - where the whole nation is in uproar over the murder of 3 Jewish teens in Palestine, yet almost no attention is paid to the murder of a Palestinian boy in Israel only a day later, what most would assume was an act of revenge?

I'm not trying to draw in philosophy, religion, politics etc into this, and the above are mere examples. Where has it all gone wrong as a global community, where women are stoned for sleeping with men they love, and men are held in places like Guantanamo, sometimes for decades, without a trial?

Scroll to see replies

The only difference between now and 100 years ago, is today due to advances in technology, it is easier to report stuff like this. Injustices like those witnssed today in the news is no different to the injustices hundreds of years ago. Only that they are reported more.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The world is not, and has never been, a nice place.

People can try all they want to make their little part of it pleasant, but as long as one person doesn't play that game, everything goes to hell.
Injustice happens to every single person every single day. It's such an ingrained part of human life that I wonder how anyone can sincerely believe in God.

It's technically injust that someone should respect you and yet not become your friend, thus enbaling you to stay in a secure position to remain respectable.

Arguably 99.999% of all injustice occurs merely through lack of action. For everything you do today or have done to you, an infinite number of other things could have happened instead.

I mean - I'm a good person- there are 6 billion people in the world and not one of them has impacted my life for the better or worse today. I might as well not exist as far as they are concerned. I could be a master criminal for all they care. There is no true society. There are tribes of people with their own agendas. Often they put people in such a comfortably numb posititon that they forget that they ever had their own agenda.

This is why I would rather that 'crime' was called something like 'approximation of crime'. Not to soften what the effects of that action might be but to make it clear that inaction can be more profoundly affecting on a person's life.
If you die attacked but fondly remembered by many you die in far better psychological state than someone who was never attacked and who is not fondly remembered by many.

If we're just things that climbed out of a primordial soup, then injustice is just an intrinsic part of life. Argubaly, Nietzcshe-like, it should be completely embraced as a way of clarifying what each of us actually values, finds important and what good we are capable of.
We are living in the most peaceful period of human history.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424053111904106704576583203589408180

The world may seem like a more violent place, but this is largely due to the proliferation of information.
Because that's the reality of the world. When you're all grown up you'll see it for what it really is, and it's not nice but that's just how it is. Some accept it, others try and change it. But you're a damn fool if you think it's going to stop at the drop of a hat. Too much greed, too much power, too much religion.
Peaceful, like minded people who want to live in a world of order can only form their own communities. Theres not point trying to change the world, most people are too attached to their belief systems and superstitions to make it worthwhile.

I'm not talking about hippy communes, but proper communities with strict codes of conduct and with the ability to expel troublemakers. Amish style. Only with technology if thats what you want.
(edited 9 years ago)
Because humans are horrible :frown: I get really upset by stuff like this. I've had to stop watching the news because I cry every time
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
Because humans are horrible :frown: I get really upset by stuff like this. I've had to stop watching the news because I cry every time

That's what I think too but instead it irritates me. Why can't people be nice to each other? :mad:

:hugs:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by imtelling
Peaceful, like minded people who want to live in a world of order can only form their own communities. Theres not point trying to change the world, most people are too attached to their belief systems and superstitions to make it worthwhile.

I'm not talking about hippy communes, but proper communities with strict codes of conduct and with the ability to expel troublemakers. Amish style. Only with technology if thats what you want.

It's funny you say this, I've always wanted to build my own Island full of good people
Original post by karmacrunch
That's what I think too but instead it irritates me. Why can't people be nice to each other? :mad:

:hugs:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! The world would be so much better if people were just nicer to each other. Little things like helping someone with a pushchair, helping someone carry shopping, being patient...I don't understand why people are mean
Original post by imtelling

Practically the entire continent of Europe, minus the far east of it (Ukraine, Belarus etc.) lives in peace and order. Some of East Asia lives in peace and order. North America lives in peace and order. Some of South America lives in peace and order. Australia and New Zealand live in peace and order.

All of these places were once violent cess pits (well, maybe not New Zealand). The entire human history of the past few centuries has been precisely about changing the world to be a more peaceable, tolerant and free place, and it has been largely successful (minus the 20th century bloodbath).
Because you have enough people in the work who see a world that is unjust, so that they can turn it to their advantage.

Because we have an existence where millionaires continue to seek more and more monetary gain, and are happy to exploit innocent bystanders to do it.

Because we value these people as "wealth creators" instead of condemning them for profiting from the hard work of others, then we let them buy influence in government.

All, exacerbated, during recessions.
Yes! The world would be so much better if people were just nicer to each other. Little things like helping someone with a pushchair, helping someone carry shopping, being patient...I don't understand why people are mean

Exactly! It's not difficult at all. Treat people how you would like to be treated etc. etc. :/

But seeing daily stories about people being murdered, raped, hurt etc. You start to wonder if the world will get any better. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Exactly! It's not difficult at all. Treat people how you would like to be treated etc. etc. :/

But seeing daily stories about people being murdered, raped, hurt etc. You start to wonder if the world will get any better. :sigh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The world has been getting progressively better since the evolution from Apes. Global violence is decreasing. Crime in the UK is decreasing. Living standards are increasing. More people have access to clean water and electricity. Don't be so negative.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep. It really pisses me off how people seem to be selfish, vindictive creatures. Sigh. I want to build my own place away from these people
Original post by the mezzil
The world has been getting progressively better since the evolution from Apes. Global violence is decreasing. Crime in the UK is decreasing. Living standards are increasing. More people have access to clean water and electricity. Don't be so negative.

I don't believe in evolution but that doesn't make the crimes some people are committing today are any better.
Then I guess we should be grateful that more people are having better lives :smile:

Yep. It really pisses me off how people seem to be selfish, vindictive creatures. Sigh. I want to build my own place away from these people

When you do tell me before you go! :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't believe in evolution but that doesn't make the crimes some people are committing today are any better.
Then I guess we should be grateful that more people are having better lives :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can join me! We'll build our own paradise

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well either away, violence and crime has been decreasing for hundreds of years, whilst quality of life has been improving. Of course does not mean you won't experience a life in a world without crime, but at least in the UK you are more likely to win the lottery than to be shot to death.
You can join me! We'll build our own paradise

Haha, yes please! :biggrin:

Original post by the mezzil
Well either away, violence and crime has been decreasing for hundreds of years, whilst quality of life has been improving. Of course does not mean you won't experience a life in a world without crime, but at least in the UK you are more likely to win the lottery than to be shot to death.

Yes, I agree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending