The Student Room Group

Ma social work 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by Georgie_M
Oh yeah please do, I'm the same at UWE now and couldn't move because of my son, whereabouts are you now, are you in bristol already?
It sounds like you did well! I did truly awful, I wish I had applied to other unis just for practice interviews. Glad I got in but nervous for the bursary now, fingers crossed for you! X

I am in Bristol in Filton
Original post by annam2
Eish I also got worried abt the busary issue with no funding I can't do the course at all. It seems there isn't much funding at all. They also exetended deadline date to June 2 I don't know what that implies... I am sure you will get it fingers crossed for you xx

Yeah I saw that they extended the deadline, I think they didn't have that many applying this year (they seemed to hint at this on the open day). I guess most people can't do it without the funding, even with it will be hard though!

Let me know how you get on anyway, hopefully we'll both be there on bursaries in sept :wink: x

(I'm in Keynsham btw so not far, most of the people on my interview day were pretty local too).
Reply 222
Yeah I saw that they extended the deadline, I think they didn't have that many applying this year (they seemed to hint at this on the open day). I guess most people can't do it without the funding, even with it will be hard though!

Let me know how you get on anyway, hopefully we'll both be there on bursaries in sept :wink: x

(I'm in Keynsham btw so not far, most of the people on my interview day were pretty local too).

Hi Georgie
I got an email offering me a place with busary as well today!!
Original post by annam2
Hi Georgie
I got an email offering me a place with busary as well today!!

Yay! Congratulations!!! So pleased for you, fingers crossed I'll see you in sept! X
Reply 224
Yay! Congratulations!!! So pleased for you, fingers crossed I'll see you in sept! X

Thank you thank you ... I am sure we will see each other .. I heard they ar still allocating Bursaries I pray yu will get it xx
Reply 225
Hi all,

I've got a place on the MA social work at Plymouth Uni and been nominated for bursary! Anyone else going to Plymouth?
Anybody here going to Middlesex?
I received an offer last Friday- two days after my interview! I am going to accept. My only worry is finances. Even if I received the bursary, it still wont be enough as I have a child and mortgage to pay etc. I may have to defer for a year and work to save up!

I'm a teacher atm and I've been desperate to get out of teaching since 2012. I am so over the moon that I got onto the course. I'm looking for sponsorship but if I'm not successful in obtaining it, I will definitely have to defer and work as a teacher for another year. :frown:((
Reply 227
Hi all, I'm so happy to have come across this thread. Congratulations to everyone that's got an offer.

I have an exam and interview with London Met on Wednesday for the MSc. Any one been through their exam? What can I expect please I'm so nervous as I'm coming from a management background.

Many thanks
Reply 228
Original post by cementedweetabix
Written test at London Met: we were given at article, a speech by Michael Gove on social workers from November 13. We had to summarise the key issues raised and relate them to our own thoughts, also relate to the BASW code of ethics.

Hi Congratulations if u've been accepted. I have an exam and interview with London Met on Wednesday for the MSc. Any tips for my exam? What can I expect please I'm so nervous as I'm coming from a management background.

Many thanks.
Reply 229
Hi, as the person above stated, the exam is based on a written test by Michael Gove regarding his thoughts on how social workers operate and what he feels should be happening. The BASW code of ethics should inform your discussion. The majority of the article applies to section 3 from the code of ethics. The group discussion is based on an 8 minute film an you have 4 questions at interview.

The experience is very pleasant, when I went for my session a large number did not get beyond the exam. During the group discussion they are looking at how you contribute, your listening skills and valuing everyone's contribution. At interview they want to know whether your beliefs and values align with those in the Code of Ethics, they are also looking to see how prepared you are for a Masters qual. I only know of two others who had applied for the MSc on the day went and one did not get past the exam, the other did not get passed the group discussion and interview stage.

I am now waiting to finding out if I have a bursary, if I'm not on the list then I will not be able to attend and will have try next year.

Wish you the best of luck.
edit.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 231
Thank you sooo much this is so helpful. Will update on how it went shortly xxx

Original post by sw67
Hi, as the person above stated, the exam is based on a written test by Michael Gove regarding his thoughts on how social workers operate and what he feels should be happening. The BASW code of ethics should inform your discussion. The majority of the article applies to section 3 from the code of ethics. The group discussion is based on an 8 minute film an you have 4 questions at interview.

The experience is very pleasant, when I went for my session a large number did not get beyond the exam. During the group discussion they are looking at how you contribute, your listening skills and valuing everyone's contribution. At interview they want to know whether your beliefs and values align with those in the Code of Ethics, they are also looking to see how prepared you are for a Masters qual. I only know of two others who had applied for the MSc on the day went and one did not get past the exam, the other did not get passed the group discussion and interview stage.

I am now waiting to finding out if I have a bursary, if I'm not on the list then I will not be able to attend and will have try next year.

Wish you the best of luck.
Reply 232
SW67 has given you a great idea of what to expect. I did get in- but I have chosen to go to Befordshire university instead, as I was guaranteed a bursary there. Best of luck on your interview date :smile: I got into every uni I applied to, so here are some extra tips:

*dress SMART. Those who didn't never made it to the final stage.
*prepare for a long day at Met. Mine began at 9 and I didn't leave until 630pm.
*take with you the BASW code of ethics (they should email this to you) and make sure you mention the main principles of it when discussing the article in the written exam.
*stay calm and happy and confident- the nervous wrecks don't make it. See it as an opportunity to get what you want- turn the nerves into excitement.
*be truthful. I said I didn't have the most experience but I was a quick learner who felt this was the right path for me.
*be friendly to the other applicants! At all of my interviews I noticed many staff members 'casually' walking past the waiting rooms etc- they want to see confidence and an ability to put yourself and others at ease.
*at Met: there were over 200 people on my interview day. Don't be overwhelmed! Only 15 of those were masters applicants; they interview the undergrads and masters students together. However over half didn't make it through stage one (exam) and over half again were gone after group role play.

Omg thanks a lot will definitely take on board the tips xx
Reply 233
Thank you. I'm so pleased for you getting into Bedford with the bursary. I really hope all goes well for you over the next 2 years. xx
(edited 9 years ago)
i have an offer from Middlesex and they have told me they are including me on the Bursary list. I have not yet accepted the offer though
Reply 235
Thank you, really hope you win the bursary lottery, will keep everything crossed. I know that Met work on a points basis, so you got awarded points for your application, exam, role play, solo interview, and then those with the highest points get a bursary- I'm sure you could call them and find out if you're in the safe zone.

Good good luck today MIDI77, let us know how you get on :smile:

Thank you sooo much. I got through with London Met but I now have to wait till the end of the month to know if they are putting my name forward for the bursary bearing in mind we were told they only have 38 allocation for funding this year. If I don't get the bursary I will have to wait till next year.
Reply 236
Original post by MIDI77
Thank you sooo much this is so helpful. Will update on how it went shortly xxx

I got an offer with London Met, thanks for the info it really helped. I guess we are now in the same situation, waiting to know if I am on the list. We were told end of July the list will be ready and we will be informed, fingers crossed. Have you done your DBS check? I'm kind of waiting for the list so I don't waste money when I might not be going if I am not on the list.
Reply 237
Original post by MIDI77
I got an offer with London Met, thanks for the info it really helped. I guess we are now in the same situation, waiting to know if I am on the list. We were told end of July the list will be ready and we will be informed, fingers crossed. Have you done your DBS check? I'm kind of waiting for the list so I don't waste money when I might not be going if I am not on the list.

Congratulations. Well done. It is a very tough process. That's the two of us waiting to find out on the 31st. It seems most other universities offer bursaries the moment you get a place.

I'm going to take my certificates and complete the DBS this Friday. If I don't get through there will be no need to visit the Uni, I hope this won't be the case. Have you completed and sent the bursary forms of to the NHS Bursary Management department? I have already received a letter staing that I'm eligible for receipt of the travel allowance. Have you had the reading list? I'm currently reading Experiencing Social Work: Learning from service users. Its a good read and gives an insight into some of the issues involved. Just hope the two of us are on the list this Thursday.
Reply 238
Is anybody going to Swansea?
Reply 239
Yes it was a tough process! Still no news on the recommendation list. I contacted them and I was emailed back that they hope to contact students individually by the end of this week. The suspense is sure not helping.

I've done the DBS check and took in my Certs today. I was told won't get an unconditional confirmation until the DBS's out. I've applied for the bursary, got a text today confirming receipt.

I haven't checked out the reading list yet all because I don't know for sure if I'm be studying this year, it all depends on my name being on the recommendation list. I wish us both good luck and I hope we have good news for our selves by Friday if the list does comes out

Original post by sw67
Congratulations. Well done. It is a very tough process. That's the two of us waiting to find out on the 31st. It seems most other universities offer bursaries the moment you get a place.

I'm going to take my certificates and complete the DBS this Friday. If I don't get through there will be no need to visit the Uni, I hope this won't be the case. Have you completed and sent the bursary forms of to the NHS Bursary Management department? I have already received a letter staing that I'm eligible for receipt of the travel allowance. Have you had the reading list? I'm currently reading Experiencing Social Work: Learning from service users. Its a good read and gives an insight into some of the issues involved. Just hope the two of us are on the list this Thursday.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending