The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SHOO
As much as I want it to happen, I don't think Ox will be played on the left.

For some reason, Wenger doesn't do that anymore.. I remember he did a few times, namely when we trashed I think soton 6-0? And he was excellent then :/ but Wenger sees him playing in the centre and that's where I think the Ox would like to play too :/ sad really, he's an excellent winger.

I think he'd be foolish to overlook Walcott - Sanchez - OX with Ozil behind, as all three players have an absurd amount of pace, ergo we would tear teams apart if we draw them in and hit them on the counter.

But yeah, I agree: it's optimistic and we'll more than likely have to settle for Giroud up front with Walcott and Sanchez on the wings.

Also, I have a feeling Sanchez may be put on the left? So..

Szcz
Debuchy Mert Kos Gibbs
Ramsey Schiederlin/Khadera
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Giroud

Maybe, for rotation he may be played up top?

I'd rather Khedira than Schneiderlin tbh. Taller, stronger, more experience and German.
Original post by FKLW
I disagree personally. If your gonna have a fairly weak team around the midfield area (strength wise) need somebody who is purely there to break up play forcefully. Also considering your likely to play a 4-2-3-1 formation and the DM is next to Ramsey/Wilshere who both go forward, having someone like Khedira will just mean your defence is exposed. Don't think counter attacking is even the problem tbh considering you got Walcott, Ozil and Chamberlain, and you guys like to control possession anyway so your game is more focused on build up play towards the oppositions goal.

Why did Gustavo go to Wolsfburg? Did you guys just not go in for him or something? Seems baffling really he went on the cheap and was a player that you needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think he picked Wolfsburg due to the WC in order to have a guaranteed starting spot weekly tbh.
Reply 9442
Gustavo went to Wolfsburg because we weren't in for him.

Original post by hayles101
The problem with that line up, and that is ignoring the fact I don't think you'll get Sanchez or Khedira personally (although you have a decent shout with Sanchez), that will rarely be an available 11 IMO.

You need alot more depth because I think Ramsey and Walcott will be out for large periods injured. It's something I think you need to be prepared for.

Like with United, there has got to be preparation and acceptance that out of Jones Evans and Smalling, there will be a hell of a lot of periods of the season spent on the side line.

Also lacks that world class 30+ goals a season striker.

Whether Wenger will spend the 20 million for a DM, 25 million + for Sanchez and another 20-30 million on top for a striker remains to be seen.

But that is what you need to do IMO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depth wise, we're okay. For the 2 pivot roles, we got wilshere, arteta, flamini and Ramsey. Diaby????? Add another name to that, that's plentiful.

For the 3 attacking midfield, we've got tommy, ozil, santi, theo, ox, poldi, Campbell, serge.

Depth wise were fine in midfield. To be caught out, it'll have to be due to terrible management by arsene and medical team or the gods against you- you can't really plan for that.

Just need a better arteta. Khedira or schneiderlin would be fine by me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9443
Original post by FKLW
I disagree personally. If your gonna have a fairly weak team around the midfield area (strength wise) need somebody who is purely there to break up play forcefully. Also considering your likely to play a 4-2-3-1 formation and the DM is next to Ramsey/Wilshere who both go forward, having someone like Khedira will just mean your defence is exposed. Don't think counter attacking is even the problem tbh considering you got Walcott, Ozil and Chamberlain, and you guys like to control possession anyway so your game is more focused on build up play towards the oppositions goal.

Why did Gustavo go to Wolsfburg? Did you guys just not go in for him or something? Seems baffling really he went on the cheap and was a player that you needed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol, that "cheap" wasn't cheap enough for Wenger and/or the board. I remember he even said he would be happy to join us :frown:

The problem with that line up, and that is ignoring the fact I don't think you'll get Sanchez or Khedira personally (although you have a decent shout with Sanchez), that will rarely be an available 11 IMO.

You need alot more depth because I think Ramsey and Walcott will be out for large periods injured. It's something I think you need to be prepared for.

Like with United, there has got to be preparation and acceptance that out of Jones Evans and Smalling, there will be a hell of a lot of periods of the season spent on the side line.

Whether Wenger will spend the 20 million for a DM, 25 million + for Sanchez and another 20-30 million on top for a striker remains to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by qwerty_mad
That MF looks awesome, we'll tear some teams up in the way Liverpool did last season. If only we had someone more ruthless and better than Giroud up top...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Giroud got 20+ goals last season so, if worst comes to worst and we DONT go a better striker then I'm not really too concerned, especially given that we're bound to get goals from Walcott, Sanchez & Ramsey.. providing they stay fit haha. Well, signing a new fitness coach may be the best signing of the summer if he can keep them out for minimal time - but knowing our luck its just peak =\

Posted from TSR Mobile

Only thing im worried about is CB depth atm, will need 2 CBs if Verm leaves (think its highly unlikely though). We still have Wilshere/Ox/Flamini/Arteta/Cazorla/Rosicky/Diaby/Gnabry/Podolski for Wing and Midfield depth which is alright, hopefully our injury record improves but I think we have adequate backup. What makes you think Ramsey/Walcott will be injured for long periods?

But United haven't got a CB yet?

Nah, I've said this before but our team is set up so that recently Giroud has been the one to lay off other players and allow the wings and midfield to get more involved so the goals are shared. Its nice to have a more clinical striker but Giroud is still useful in our set up, i.e if we get someone like Remy I expect him to play off other players rather than them playing off him if that makes sense.

I'm confident Wenger will pull off something unexpected this window but idk whether it will be enough.
Reply 9445
I wonder what Western European teams were smoking when zenit signed garay for 2.5m. That's pennies for a decent player.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's all this about Valbuena joining West Ham? I don't think Bielsa at Marseille rates him.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by 419
Gustavo went to Wolfsburg because we weren't in for him.

Depth wise, we're okay. For the 2 pivot roles, we got wilshere, arteta, flamini and Ramsey. Diaby????? Add another name to that, that's plentiful.

For the 3 attacking midfield, we've got tommy, ozil, santi, theo, ox, poldi, Campbell, serge.

Depth wise were fine in midfield. To be caught out, it'll have to be due to terrible management by arsene and medical team or the gods against you- you can't really plan for that.

Just need a better arteta. Khedira and schneiderlin would be fine by me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with that, maybe I explained what I mean wrong. You do have depth in that you have plenty of back up players, but if you have a lot of injuries your playing your ideal starting XI less and less.

I think if Ramsey started every PL game next season that would be amazing for you, I just sadly don't think he will be able to last more than 2/3 of the season

It depends how you cope when you have Arteta, Flamini, Diaby in that role instead of Ramsey.

And if you have Campbell instead of Giroud. Wilshere is another extremely injury prone player I wouldn't want to rely too heavily on.

The point of all that was, I think once again injuries will have a big deciding factor on where you finish in the league. Which is the case with every teams but seems to affect Arsenal so much more. With the likes of Ramsey staying fit the entire season, a new DM & striker and you may compete for the title. But it's a massive IF in terms are players staying injury free.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9448
Original post by Kruz
Rumours flying about that Valbuena is about to join West Ham. I don't think Bielsa at Marseille rates him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where's this coming from? Best player that Marseille have. I call bull.

If he leaves, he isn't going to play for that fatso.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9449
Also, we're all talking like we don't have Cazorla =\

He's had an average season but even then its because of his injury problem at the start, and then probably wasn't able to get in his stride towards the end but I will alwaaaaaaays rate him

He absolutely killed his first season here, and even when spain brought him on in the WC he lifted them.

I think if we do get Sanchez and either Schniederlin or Khadira actually, we'll have such a good midfield - and will be able to cope

Szcz
Debuchy Mert Kosc Gibbs
Schiederlin/Khadira Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Giroud

Cazorla can easily play where Ozil would, and could fit in on the left which would allow Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla to be rotated (to avoid or cover for injuries) Then we got Wilshere who could come in, we got Tommy, we got Ox, Gnabry, Arteta, Flamini,

In defence we would have Verm (should he stay), Jenko & Monreal

In terms of attack, we'd have poldi (though he would probably be used on the wing) Campbell, and hopefully a new ST. Or if needed, we could play Sanchez up top and have:

Walcott Ozil Cazorla
Sanchez

Or:

Ozil Cazorla Poldi
Giroud/Walcott

We would have so much versatility it would be unreal

That's a winning team, given that we have a strong core already
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
What's all this about Valbuena joining West Ham? I don't think Bielsa at Marseille rates him.

Source? Surely he can do better than Allardyce's backwards football.
Tbh I wouldn't mind seeing Walcott played up top in cup games as he seems to be maturing there from recent performances and did a decent job there vs Tottenham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 419
Where's this coming from? Best player that Marseille have. I call bull.

If he leaves, he isn't going to play for that fatso.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Fox Sport broke it. But it's true Bielsa doesn't rate him at all. Bielsa's weird like that he forced Llorente to train with the youth squad because of his move to Juventus.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by sr90
Source? Surely he can do better than Allardyce's backwards football.

Fox Sport claimed it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Kruz
Fox Sport broke it. But it's true Bielsa doesn't rate him at all. Bielsa's weird like that he forced Llorente to train with the youth squad because of his move to Juventus.

Bizarre, that. I'd take him at Old Trafford :dontknow:
Reply 9454
Original post by Kruz

Posted from TSR Mobile

That was because Llorente decided to not sign a contract and was on his way to Juventus. I really doubt there's any truth in this, Valbuena is the progidy son at Marseille, his importance to them can't be stated enough.

Either way, he aint going to Sam.

Fox sport are the last people to know what is going on in french football. Dude man, they're using Daily star as their source :lol:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9455
Original post by SHOO
Also, we're all talking like we don't have Cazorla =\

He's had an average season but even then its because of his injury problem at the start, and then probably wasn't able to get in his stride towards the end but I will alwaaaaaaays rate him

He absolutely killed his first season here, and even when spain brought him on in the WC he lifted them.

I think if we do get Sanchez and either Schniederlin or Khadira actually, we'll have such a good midfield - and will be able to cope

Szcz
Debuchy Mert Kosc Gibbs
Schiederlin/Khadira Ramsey
Walcott Ozil Sanchez
Giroud

Cazorla can easily play where Ozil would, and could fit in on the left which would allow Ozil, Sanchez and Cazorla to be rotated (to avoid or cover for injuries) Then we got Wilshere who could come in, we got Tommy, we got Ox, Gnabry, Arteta, Flamini,

In defence we would have Verm (should he stay), Jenko & Monreal

In terms of attack, we'd have poldi (though he would probably be used on the wing) Campbell, and hopefully a new ST. Or if needed, we could play Sanchez up top and have:

Walcott Ozil Cazorla
Sanchez

Or:

Ozil Cazorla Poldi
Giroud/Walcott

We would have so much versatility it would be unreal

That's a winning team, given that we have a strong core already

2 weeks in and half of those players get injured :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by FKLW
2 weeks in and half of those players get injured :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Most of our players got injured in pre-season ffs...

Then we were generally fine until another injury streak at the turn of the year. If the injuries we get are more spread out then we'll be fine I think. Also last season was the worst we've had injury wise for at least 3 seasons.
Reply 9458
Debuchy is done deal I am pleased as although aurier maybe slightly better. Debuchy is solid, played in the prem and wouldn't stunt jenkinson and important won't be going to African cup of nations, the period which is vital to a good season.
Anybody else think Arteta and Rosicky should vacate their numbers?

Latest