The Student Room Group

How often do university students call/text?

I'll be going university soon and just wondering how students communicate...do most people call or text/whatsapp?

I'll be getting a contract phone and I'm not a big caller so will 250mins per month be ok or do I need more like 500mins?

Scroll to see replies

It all depends on how social you are. I would personally use 250 minutes in less than a week, but another person might not even use the half of the 250 minutes. You say your not a big caller, but I'd still get the 500 if I were you. Your getting double the minutes for a couple quid more a month.
Reply 2
Reply 3
Original post by danalwill
It all depends on how social you are. I would personally use 250 minutes in less than a week, but another person might not even use the half of the 250 minutes. You say your not a big caller, but I'd still get the 500 if I were you. Your getting double the minutes for a couple quid more a month.

Yeah I'm leaning towards the 500minutes too, thanks.
Original post by danalwill

that quid adds up...

250 mins..sure id go through that..but I try whatsapp and skyping instead to save monies..

it all adds up so id leave it if you think youd be grand on less
Reply 5
Take the bigger one, 150 gets used up very quickly even when you're not very social.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Completely depends on you really. I personally manage fine on 100 minutes, but then most of my communication takes place through text or Facebook messenger.
How long I'd the contract you are looking at? It might be worth getting a shorter contract so you can see how much you use and then change it if necessary. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
tinder brah
I hardly call

I use what's app and real life interaction
Reply 9
Original post by Arihc
Completely depends on you really. I personally manage fine on 100 minutes, but then most of my communication takes place through text or Facebook messenger.
How long I'd the contract you are looking at? It might be worth getting a shorter contract so you can see how much you use and then change it if necessary. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll be getting a rolling contract from July to September to see how I get on and when September comes, I'll commit to a 12 month contract :smile:
Reply 10
I don't call or text anyone.
It varies. I have 600 mins and unlimited texts on my contract and rarely use more than a third of those minutes, but I do text a lot more (and get a lot of use out of my mobile data allowance!). The only people I really talk to on the phone frequently are my parents, and 9 times out of 10 it's them who call me. Usually I text/Facebook friends... You can often add extra minutes onto a contract for a certain amount extra if you get a contract and find the minute allowance you have isn't sufficient for your needs (at least, you can with my provider).
How long is a piece of string.
Reply 13
Depends on the person. I never went over my 250 minutes at university - I normally just used Facebook, whatsapp or texting.
Are you going to be calling home a lot?

Whatsapp is the way to go. Close to deadlines, whatsapp gets a lot of messages sent from me!
Reply 15
Original post by rayquaza17
Are you going to be calling home a lot?

Whatsapp is the way to go. Close to deadlines, whatsapp gets a lot of messages sent from me!

Call home probably once or twice a week for up to 15 mins max but they'll probably call me.
Reply 16
its mostly text for me
Reply 17
unlimited calls/texts crew
I have 200 minutes and I don't think I have ever used that amount. There's only one person who I'd call and that doesn't happen often. Get unlimited texts and you're good to go.

I've never used WhatsApp (never understood what it can give me that I can't get from texting someone) but a lot of people do.
Original post by sr90
I have 200 minutes and I don't think I have ever used that amount. There's only one person who I'd call and that doesn't happen often. Get unlimited texts and you're good to go.

I've never used WhatsApp (never understood what it can give me that I can't get from texting someone) but a lot of people do.

group chats, attach vids, photos, instant receive/send etc

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending