The Student Room Group

IB Results

Today I got my results, and Bristol was my insurance which asked for a 32 with 6 in French and 6 in Music for my course (Joint Honours in French and Music). I got a 38 with a 6 in French, but unfortunately I got a 5 in Music. I can't call Bristol till Monday, but I was wondering if anyone knows about Bristol accepting students who have missed their offer? I am applying as an international student, just in case that makes any difference? (I don't know)

Thanks!
Original post by anupama.rijhwani
Today I got my results, and Bristol was my insurance which asked for a 32 with 6 in French and 6 in Music for my course (Joint Honours in French and Music). I got a 38 with a 6 in French, but unfortunately I got a 5 in Music. I can't call Bristol till Monday, but I was wondering if anyone knows about Bristol accepting students who have missed their offer? I am applying as an international student, just in case that makes any difference? (I don't know)

Thanks!

Hello :smile:

Congratulations on your results! What about your firm offer?

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what Bristol will say until you call them. You are a very near miss so they may be a little more lenient, especially as overall you are 4 points up. But again, they specified a 6 in music so they'll have to weigh that up.

They may not be able to confirm your place until A level results day on 14th August because of you not meeting the offer in its entirety - sometimes they like to take a broader view in terms of having an overview of how all their prospective students have performed - so it's worth bearing this in mind.

I hope this helps you :smile: Good luck with your phone call tomorrow, fingers crossed for you.
Original post by She-Ra
Hello :smile:

Congratulations on your results! What about your firm offer?

Unfortunately there is no way of knowing what Bristol will say until you call them. You are a very near miss so they may be a little more lenient, especially as overall you are 4 points up. But again, they specified a 6 in music so they'll have to weigh that up.

They may not be able to confirm your place until A level results day on 14th August because of you not meeting the offer in its entirety - sometimes they like to take a broader view in terms of having an overview of how all their prospective students have performed - so it's worth bearing this in mind.

I hope this helps you :smile: Good luck with your phone call tomorrow, fingers crossed for you.

Thank you for replying :smile:

My firm offer is Durham - 38 with 666 in HLs. I met all the terms for that too, except the Music HL one :/

My firm offer is Durham - 38 with 666 in HLs. I met all the terms for that too, except the Music HL one :/

No problem :smile:

Definitely give both Universities a call tomorrow - let me know how it goes.
Reply 4

Congratulations on your results! I'm a first year student at Durham and I know that a couple of my friends missed their Durham offers by one/two IB points but still got accepted (around A-level results day). Probably would be best to call.

Best of luck!
Original post by She-Ra
No problem :smile:

Definitely give both Universities a call tomorrow - let me know how it goes.

Original post by j132
Congratulations on your results! I'm a first year student at Durham and I know that a couple of my friends missed their Durham offers by one/two IB points but still got accepted (around A-level results day). Probably would be best to call.

Best of luck!

Thanks guys :smile: I just ask to speak to the Admission's Tutor and explain my situation yes?
:smile: I just ask to speak to the Admission's Tutor and explain my situation yes?

Did you apply through UCAS? If yes your Track system should update tomorrow (after 11:30am) or by the latest Wednesday. If it doesn't update - then you can call admissions and have a chat with them, explaining your situation as you say.

Let us know how it goes :smile:
Original post by She-Ra
Did you apply through UCAS? If yes your Track system should update tomorrow (after 11:30am) or by the latest Wednesday. If it doesn't update - then you can call admissions and have a chat with them, explaining your situation as you say.

Let us know how it goes :smile:

I did apply through UCAS - really annoying that Track has been down!

Since international clearing options have opened already in some universities, I plan to call them too asap, if Durham and Bristol reject me.
I did apply through UCAS - really annoying that Track has been down!

Since international clearing options have opened already in some universities, I plan to call them too asap, if Durham and Bristol reject me.

Even if Track was up and running the universities wouldn't have updated it because Admissions don't work at the weekends.

You have to do what gives you piece of mind so definitely give them a call. 350 out of 370 UK universities were in clearing last year so you'll have plenty of options if it comes down to that. If you do go down the clearing route make sure you find out if they have spare student accommodation for you.
Original post by She-Ra
Even if Track was up and running the universities wouldn't have updated it because Admissions don't work at the weekends.

You have to do what gives you piece of mind so definitely give them a call. 350 out of 370 UK universities were in clearing last year so you'll have plenty of options if it comes down to that. If you do go down the clearing route make sure you find out if they have spare student accommodation for you.

Yeah, I'm really glad that IB results are so early, gives me a chance to properly plan out every scenario that might take place.

I need to get accommodation, and preferably my student visa, as quick as possible :/
Yeah, I'm really glad that IB results are so early, gives me a chance to properly plan out every scenario that might take place.

I need to get accommodation, and preferably my student visa, as quick as possible :/

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment

Check out the link above - there is lots of helpful information on there about Clearing :smile:

Yes, absolutely - a few universities are under investigation at the moment because they haven't been checking visas so this is very very important - certainly a priority for you as you have said.
Original post by She-Ra
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=4574-clearing-adjustment

Check out the link above - there is lots of helpful information on there about Clearing :smile:

Yes, absolutely - a few universities are under investigation at the moment because they haven't been checking visas so this is very very important - certainly a priority for you as you have said.

Thanks! I have been using it as my guide for everything :biggrin:

It takes me 3 weeks minimum to get my visa, so I'll definitely mention that to all the universities I call (tomorrow).
Does it matter at all that you exceeded your offer by 6 points? (38>32) Or is it down to your subject grades specifically? (Sorry, I don't know much about the IB system)
Original post by Frank the Tankk
Does it matter at all that you exceeded your offer by 6 points? (38>32) Or is it down to your subject grades specifically? (Sorry, I don't know much about the IB system)

Hi, that's exactly why I'm asking :smile: Obviously subject requirements are more important than total points, but my school and a lot of people on ibsurvival.com said that since it was off by just one point in music and I surpassed the total points by 6, it should be fine. I will let you know what Bristol and Durham says tomorrow when I call them.
Hi, that's exactly why I'm asking :smile: Obviously subject requirements are more important than total points, but my school and a lot of people on ibsurvival.com said that since it was off by just one point in music and I surpassed the total points by 6, it should be fine. I will let you know what Bristol and Durham says tomorrow when I call them.

I imagine that you'll be ok. The 6 point overall increase should hopefully mean they overlook the 1 point dropped in your subject specifics.
Original post by Frank the Tankk
I imagine that you'll be ok. The 6 point overall increase should hopefully mean they overlook the 1 point dropped in your subject specifics.

Hopefully!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending