The Student Room Group

History undergraduate essay writing

I was just wondering if anyone can help me understand the gap between a level history essays and 1st year undergraduate history essays-Just want a heads up on what I am getting into

Also do any undergraduates have any advice on noting or revision at uni
Original post by kendr lawson
I was just wondering if anyone can help me understand the gap between a level history essays and 1st year undergraduate history essays-Just want a heads up on what I am getting into

If you did History coursework at A2 then from my experience the essays I did in History at uni were most similar to that out of all my A-Level work. History at uni is definitley nothing like the exam questions you get. It requires having one line of argument and referencing books and journals to help support the argument. Best advice for revision I would say is keep up with the seminar reading during the semester, you'll get a list of books to read and hopefully some questions too to guide your reading. You should also have some past papers somewhere on your uni system, make notes that answer these questions from books you can find- again following the idea that you need to have a key argument. Don't sit on the fence, don't write 'I think that' I tend to say 'My essay will argue that...'

If you did History coursework at A2 then from my experience the essays I did in History at uni were most similar to that out of all my A-Level work. History at uni is definitley nothing like the exam questions you get. It requires having one line of argument and referencing books and journals to help support the argument. Best advice for revision I would say is keep up with the seminar reading during the semester, you'll get a list of books to read and hopefully some questions too to guide your reading. You should also have some past papers somewhere on your uni system, make notes that answer these questions from books you can find- again following the idea that you need to have a key argument. Don't sit on the fence, don't write 'I think that' I tend to say 'This essay will argue that..."
Good book with lots of advice - easy to read and very useful for anyone doing a History degree : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Studying-History-Palgrave-Study-Skills/dp/1403987343
Original post by jelly1000
If you did History coursework at A2 then from my experience the essays I did in History at uni were most similar to that out of all my A-Level work. History at uni is definitley nothing like the exam questions you get. It requires having one line of argument and referencing books and journals to help support the argument. Best advice for revision I would say is keep up with the seminar reading during the semester, you'll get a list of books to read and hopefully some questions too to guide your reading. You should also have some past papers somewhere on your uni system, make notes that answer these questions from books you can find- again following the idea that you need to have a key argument. Don't sit on the fence, don't write 'I think that' I tend to say 'This essay will argue that..."

Thanks for the great advice :smile:
Thanks for the great advice :smile:

No problem! Should have made clear you don't need to read everything on a reading list, but say 4 items each week should put you in good stead. We have also been encouraged at my uni (UEA) to say why we disagree with the other side of the argument.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending