The Student Room Group

Do you think weed should be legalised?

I'm not trying to appear all hippy stoner here and talk about how weed is gonna save the world- I'm only 17 lol.
As someone that occasionally smokes weed, anywhere between several joints a day to several months without it, it's not had a detrimental effect on anything in my life. I still get good grades and I've not experienced any bad side effects, so why should I be labeled a stoner? It's not like anybody who has a drink is labelled an alcoholic, so what's all the bad press about with weed?
The money that we make as an economy from putting a seriously high tax on weed and then selling it would be amazing, it could go towards the nhs or cancer research. Crime would be reduced as well.
Ok I'll stop ranting now, basically I want to hear your thoughts, and do you smoke weed yourself? :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Of course it should be legalised. There is no sane argument to keep it illegal as opposed to legalising it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ali_blue
I'm not trying to appear all hippy stoner here and talk about how weed is gonna save the world- I'm only 17 lol.
As someone that occasionally smokes weed, anywhere between several joints a day to several months without it, it's not had a detrimental effect on anything in my life. I still get good grades and I've not experienced any bad side effects, so why should I be labeled a stoner? It's not like anybody who has a drink is labelled an alcoholic, so what's all the bad press about with weed?
The money that we make as an economy from putting a seriously high tax on weed and then selling it would be amazing, it could go towards the nhs or cancer research. Crime would be reduced as well.
Ok I'll stop ranting now, basically I want to hear your thoughts, and do you smoke weed yourself? :biggrin:

I think it should. It's one's own choice what they do/don't do to their own body. If it doesn't affect anyone other than the user, why should anyone else care? Lastly, no I don't smoke weed :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes. Legalise it and then tax it. Loadsa money.
I think it should be...it seems there are many examples of how cannabis and society can work cohesively. Like Colorado and the Netherlands.
Reply 5
The only way it being illegal makes sense is if alcohol is also made illegal, so yes it should be legalised

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think the entire country would start smoking it if it was made legal
I'd support its legalisation.
Reply 8
These type of threads are made every couple of weeks, about 90%+ of posters are pro-legislation (including me), but nothing will be done any time soon whilst we have the Government acting the way it currently is.

I mean the fact that within the last month there has been big pushes by the doctors etc. to stop sale of tobacco to those born after 2000, i can't see cannabis being legalized for at least another decade minimum. Britain still has a very draconian view on smoking in general it seems, and that wont be a quick thing to change.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 9
No weed causes psychosis and other mental health issues,we have enough problems with alcohol and cigarettes we don't need more..
It's a difficult question.

At first glance it looks like a no-brainer because you can regulate it and tax it.

But on the other hand, it would mean drug cartels would lose revenue from marijuana and would therefore have to compensate with sales of far more harmful drugs like heroin, and that's obviously something you want to avoid.
Original post by tengentoppa

At first glance it looks like a no-brainer because you can regulate it and tax it.

But on the other hand, it would mean drug cartels would lose revenue from marijuana and would therefore have to compensate with sales of far more harmful drugs like heroin, and that's obviously something you want to avoid.

But the demand for heroin won't suddenly shoot up (hehe) when you legalise weed.
No brainer. I'd like people a lot more if they were trippy.
Their isn't a strong argument against it for medicine uses, cannabis is much better than a depression pill that can cause so many side effects like wanting to commit suicide.

But for normal use, the reason it isn't legalized is because they say it becomes socially acceptable, which leads onto harder drugs which are not socially acceptable in order to look cool or get a stronger fix, and they like heroin have much worse effects.
apparently I'm the only person here, or anywhere, who wants it legalised but not taxed; alcohol shouldn't be taxed (at least as a "sin tax") so why prolong the idiocy of trying to influence people to not buy things like this? taxation only serves to make moderate users poorer in an attempt to punish the high-level users - is that what the government really wants?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippity.doodah
apparently I'm the only person here, or anywhere, who wants it legalised but not taxed; alcohol shouldn't be taxed (at least as a "sin tax") so why prolong the idiocy of trying to influence people to not buy things like this? taxation only serves to make moderate users poorer in an attempt to punish the high-level users - is that what the government really wants?

Lol I understand your sentiment, but I think you're being a bit disingenuous here. I think the taxation is more to counter any negative issues that arise from alcohol abuse and drug abuse. I'm not a huge fan of taxation but I think it's reasonable to suggest we tax weed and alcohol.

The only problem with taxing weed is how do you regulate the tax, would it be based on strength of the product or would there just be a set tax per Kg. :dontknow:
Original post by Last Day Lepers
Lol I understand your sentiment, but I think you're being a bit disingenuous here. I think the taxation is more to counter any negative issues that arise from alcohol abuse and drug abuse. I'm not a huge fan of taxation but I think it's reasonable to suggest we tax weed and alcohol.

The only problem with taxing weed is how do you regulate the tax, would it be based on strength of the product or would there just be a set tax per Kg. :dontknow:

and I'd say those that abuse their own bodies with alcohol or weed (or fatty foods, dangerous activies, etc) should pick up their own tabs *dun dun dun!*
Original post by tengentoppa

Hence we legalise all drugs.
Original post by zippity.doodah
and I'd say those that abuse their own bodies with alcohol or weed (or fatty foods, dangerous activies, etc) should pick up their own tabs *dun dun dun!*

Yeah well that's a libertarian approach to it then I suppose. But then you'd have to treat all vices the same. People that get diabetes and illnesses from overconsumption of food, people that get ill from smoking, people that get injured from dangerous recreational sports etc. We're not a libertarian country though.
Reply 19
I hate weed & would never touch the stuff.
However, I do think that it should be legal for people to smoke it in their own homes (I wouldn't want to smell it out on the street). That way it doesn't harm anyone & the Govt should tax it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending