The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The South - North pilgrimage

Is anybody coming from the South (London or lower) to study at Durham for the upcoming academic year (2014-15)?
(edited 9 years ago)
I am coming from Bournemouth, having lived there for the past 7 years.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by MrEFeynman
I am coming from Bournemouth, having lived there for the past 7 years.

Nice! I love Bournemouth! To study what? And at which college?
Original post by AcronymOfHashtag
Nice! I love Bournemouth! To study what? And at which college?

BSc Physics with Foundation Year. I will be in Trevelyan college. What are you studying? And which college are you going to be in?
BSc Physics with Foundation Year. I will be in Trevelyan college. What are you studying? And which college are you going to be in?

Ahh sweet! I'm doing a BA in Education studies with English and I'll be in Collingwood!

How are you feeling about the move?
Ok, to be honest. I've never had a problem with big changes, and you?
Ok, to be honest. I've never had a problem with big changes, and you?

The only thing I'm nervous about is being away from the people I love here in London, but I suppose I knew that was going to happen anyway so I should be more prepared. I am looking forward to the independence of uni!

Getting all my stuff up there is going to be a nightmare though! How are you doing it?
I have my own place so it is an even bigger pain for me. I have to sell all my furniture and appliances. Everything I am taking with me I will pack up and send it by courier.
Oh wow! Are you a mature student then? I was thinking of renting a van but I won't need all of the room in it! Doesn't warrant shelling out for if I'm not going to use it all really, but there's too much for one car as well!
Yes, I am a mature student. Send a couple of boxes by courier, just time it so they arrive a day or so after you.

Also remember the rooms are not very large..
Strongly recommend unibaggage.com.

They'll take a massive holdall sized suitcase from A to B (even London to Durham) for just under £17.

Source: I go to Durham and also live in the South.

Disclaimer: am not an employee of unibaggage.
You'll also get used to the wonder of the East Coast trainline. Really easy to get to Durham from London, and really cheap if you book well in advance (singles from £15, less with student discounts etc.)

For moving up for the first time, if you can get parents or similar to drop you off that is much easier (carting duvets around on trains is not recommended). However for holidays the baggage allowance on the train is 2 suitcases and 1 piece of handluggage as long as you can carry it all yourself (I recommend a large rucksack, 60-80 litres or so as then you can carry a smaller one on your front, and drag something if needs be too!) so most people are fine with that (even if trains get ridiculously busy).

As for missing people from home - I thought I was going to miss people loads. I didn't. I was having too much fun! It's nice coming home to see people, but don't worry too much as most people find themselves not wanting to leave all their new friends over the holidays too! Also it's exciting having old friends scattered over the country - excellent excuse for visiting new places!

Quick Reply

Latest