The Student Room Group

What salary are you realistically expecting to earn?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Reue
lol, ok :smile:

200k - yr 1
350k - yr 2
500k - yr 3
1m+ - yr 4
Reply 241
Original post by JAIYEKO
200k - yr 1
350k - yr 2
500k - yr 3
1m+ - yr 4

oh so you intend to become the Prince of Saudi Arabia then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 242
Original post by JAIYEKO
200k - yr 1
350k - yr 2
500k - yr 3
1m+ - yr 4

I suspect once you've been through A-Levels and then University you will have a better appreciation of what the chances of you earning those figures are like.
Reply 243
Original post by diggy
Council tax will take the majority of anything u earn

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's rubbish, even in central London.
Original post by Shelly_x
Probably about 30k. Depending on whether you take an additional responsibility or can prove you deserve a pay rise from the 21k starting wage.

Just wondering, do you happen to know if there's a difference in pay between secondary and primary school teachers? I'm guessing secondary is paid slightly more?
Reply 245
Original post by JAIYEKO
200k - yr 1
350k - yr 2
500k - yr 3
1m+ - yr 4

Has anyone posted anything about realistic salaries?

How about this - http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/25/uk-incomes-how-salary-compare
'The median income for a single adult in the fifth decile is £17,600.'
And that is obviously skewed because it includes lots of people who are experienced in the role they are doing.

Or there are some graphs here - http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/salary-benefits/pay-salary-advice/uk-average-salary-graphs/article.aspx

It seems as though a lot of people are heading for disappointment.
Original post by bb193
Has anyone posted anything about realistic salaries?

How about this - http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/mar/25/uk-incomes-how-salary-compare
'The median income for a single adult in the fifth decile is £17,600.'
And that is obviously skewed because it includes lots of people who are experienced in the role they are doing.

Or there are some graphs here - http://career-advice.monster.co.uk/salary-benefits/pay-salary-advice/uk-average-salary-graphs/article.aspx

It seems as though a lot of people are heading for disappointment.

It depends much more on what career you're heading into than what the median salary is accross the ENTIRE UK; you simply can't compare what an engineer would make to what some secretary/personal assistant/store worker would earn.

Instead, you should be referencing the median salary for individual job sectors - you would get a better idea of what people in your target job/career are earning. Heck, even average starting salaries organised by degree are dubious at best (unless you are studying medicine or engineering) because the lucky few who choose and/or get high paying careers skew the average upwards.

My point is: people should be looking at salary data for their intended career instead of conjecturing random numbers they 'expect' to earn. Likewise, people who mention how harsh reality is don't tend to understand that what salary you hope to get/will receive is largely a function of your degree and by extension the careers you are considering.

That was a bit long winded, sorry..
Original post by JAIYEKO
With 200k-500k with bonuses. After years of experience it will rise to about 50%

Are you perhaps a Nigerian prince? Would you like my bank account data?
Original post by Dilzo999
Wow that's awesome, so you have a job lined up before you've finished university!

Potentially - in the process of getting a patent filed atm
I did say "realistically" in the thread title :tongue:
Original post by Llewellyn
Just wondering, do you happen to know if there's a difference in pay between secondary and primary school teachers? I'm guessing secondary is paid slightly more?

Primary and secondary start on the same wage. Teaching is now paid by performance pay so it's up to your school to decide whether you deserve more money and most schools are having it so you have to meet certain targets to go up in pay. There are more opportunities to take on more responsibility in secondary schools which result in more pay.
A job with some money
Original post by JAIYEKO
200k - yr 1
350k - yr 2
500k - yr 3
1m+ - yr 4

Quant?

Year 8-Talk to another human being

Year dot-Get laid
Reply 253
Hoping for about £18,000 or so.
Reply 254
Original post by Le Nombre
Quant?

Year 8-Talk to another human being

Year dot-Get laid

Can you at least speak comprehendible english
Original post by JAIYEKO
Can you at least speak comprehendible english

Quant is a well known word in the City, sure you know what that is.

'Talk', 'another' and 'human being' are all pretty well known words.

'Year dot' is a phrase for 'never'. 'Get laid' is slang for engage in sexual intercourse.

'Comprehendible' is not a word, you in fact meant comprehensible, but please do feel free to continue questioning the standard of my English (which as a proper noun should be capitalised).
Realistically, I'd start around £40k. Hoping to get 6 figures by 30. Definitely achievable
Reply 257
Original post by Reue
That's rubbish, even in central London.

Well my understanding of living in London is that the nearer you are to the center, the higher your council tax....

But i'm interested to hear your understanding of it
Reply 258
Original post by diggy
Well my understanding of living in London is that the nearer you are to the center, the higher your council tax....

But i'm interested to hear your understanding of it

Camden

£880.32 - £2640.96

Greenwich

£855.94 - £2567.82

Westminster

£451.16 - £1353.48

To demonstrate just a few. Even if we took the most expensive of my examples, and a single person living alone - It equals £220 per month.

Even on minimum wage (£817 per month) it is far from being a "majority of anything u earn".

I havnt begun to factor in council tax reductions for people on low income and that i've used the most expensive tax banding.
Going into Archaeology, I'm basically either going to live life as a total pauper or a millionaire.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending