The Student Room Group

How to answer "what are your career aspirations?"

I'm applying to WHSmiths and this is one of the application questions. How do I approach this question. Do I say what my actual career aspirations are, i.e. attend uni, complete a degree etc, or do I lie and say something like I hope to move up within the company/work within the retail sector? I'm assuming the latter would appeal to the employer more, but if they follow this up at the interview, I'm screwed because I'm a rubbish face to face liar. So what would be the most suitable answer to this question?
Original post by gloria97
I'm applying to WHSmiths and this is one of the application questions. How do I approach this question. Do I say what my actual career aspirations are, i.e. attend uni, complete a degree etc, or do I lie and say something like I hope to move up within the company/work within the retail sector? I'm assuming the latter would appeal to the employer more, but if they follow this up at the interview, I'm screwed because I'm a rubbish face to face liar. So what would be the most suitable answer to this question?

To be honest, just be honest. They know that the majority of applicants will later move on to university, study a degree, and then most likely move to another company, so it's best to state this. You can always say that, if you fail to find a job after university, that you'll progress up the careers ladder within the company, but they shouldn't mind if you're honest about your personal career ambitions
Reply 2
Be honest, but see if you can link this job into your career plans somehow. Think about how you'll relate this job to future job applications and go from there.
Reply 3
Some nonsense in this thread, Just lie!

Say your looking for a career in retail, their not going to provide training for you and then watch you swan off to University, point out that your ambitious and your a big fan of the company promoting from within (If they do that, make sure you research)
Reply 4
Original post by Barry2011
Some nonsense in this thread, Just lie!

Say your looking for a career in retail, their not going to provide training for you and then watch you swan off to University, point out that your ambitious and your a big fan of the company promoting from within (If they do that, make sure you research)

Y'know, unless you're going to want them to give you a good reference later on...

Also you really should learn how to use your/you're correctly :erm:
Reply 5
Original post by Aula
Y'know, unless you're going to want them to give you a good reference later on...

Also you really should learn how to use your/you're correctly :erm:

Nobody gives references for retail jobs, just write down the head-quarters of the company and your fine.
As for my you're and yours, I'm a rock n roll superstar baby; I don't need spelling.

I'm not stupid, I have 4 GCSEs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending