The Student Room Group

A level options combination. Any comments?

Hi all,

I am in Year 10 and I was considering a good combination for a degree in Economics / Finance for a career in Banking / Investment Banking / Financial Services / Hedge Fund;

Maths
Further Maths
Economics
Physics
Accounting?

I'll explain. Maths and Further Maths because I am quite good at Maths and I like studying it. Economics, because I am very interested in it and because I hope to do Economics at university. Physics because it is a very respected A level and my GCSE grades at Physics are good.

My target Sixth Form college says that if you choose Further Maths, you must do 5 AS Subjects! Therefore, Accounting? I know it's soft, but I'll probably drop it at A2 and I hope to go into that type of mathematical thinking; with money and finance in mind.

These options are still superficially in my mind, I still have some time until I have to choose, but was just thinking about it.

Any comments?

Thanks!
For careers in Finance, you need a mathematical background. Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics are all very good choices. As odd as it sounds, doing Economics will not give you an advantage when applying for Economics at University but if you enjoy it, by all means take it. I think it's pretty silly and counterproductive that the college forces you to do 5 AS subjects with Further Maths but if that's non-negotiable, just choose a subject you enjoy. You've already got all of the relevant subjects you need so just choose something that you'll enjoy and that won't take too much time away. Go with Accounting if you want but if there's something else you'd enjoy more, go with that.
Original post by Chlorophile
For careers in Finance, you need a mathematical background. Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Physics are all very good choices. As odd as it sounds, doing Economics will not give you an advantage when applying for Economics at University but if you enjoy it, by all means take it. I think it's pretty silly and counterproductive that the college forces you to do 5 AS subjects with Further Maths but if that's non-negotiable, just choose a subject you enjoy. You've already got all of the relevant subjects you need so just choose something that you'll enjoy and that won't take too much time away. Go with Accounting if you want but if there's something else you'd enjoy more, go with that.

Ah, okay. Thanks!
Reply 3
They're fine.

You dont really need any specific course to go into finance anyways.
What could help you a lot more for getting into an economics degree, if you have some flexibility with a-levels, is instead choosing three relevant a levels and taking on an unpaid internship somewhere so you have experience rather than just qualifications.
Original post by Jkizer
They're fine.

You dont really need any specific course to go into finance anyways.

Ah okay!

Original post by XMaramena
What could help you a lot more for getting into an economics degree, if you have some flexibility with a-levels, is instead choosing three relevant a levels and taking on an unpaid internship somewhere so you have experience rather than just qualifications.

I plan to find some finance and / or accounting and / or banking work experience in some firms! Thanks!
Same here , i might take further math, math , eco and bio instead of physics
Original post by MrPizza101
Same here , i might take further math, math , eco and bio instead of physics

I find Biology hard and uninteresting, so I won't be opting for that.
Hi all,

I am about to make my choices now, so I thought that I would re open this thread to revisit my situation. I still want to go into Economics or Finance or Accounting, and I was thinking of the following options:

Maths
Further Maths
Physics
Economics
Government and Politics / Chemistry / Business?

My target Sixth Form centre and my insurance Sixth Form centre both require you to choose 5 As subjects if you are opting for Maths and Further Maths, which I will be.

I have heard that Chemistry is a 'hard' A-level choice and therefore I am weary to approach it with my Double Maths and Physics combo...

I have also heard that universities do not like Business and Economics together due to the similarity in content at some points?

Please help, thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest