The Student Room Group

GCSE percentage for A*?

I was wondering what the typical percentage you have to achieve to get an A* in GCSE edexcel maths is.

Also, what do people think the grade boundaries will be for edexcel gcse maths this year? I'm saying 166 for an A*.
Reply 1
Original post by RG110man
I was wondering what the typical percentage you have to achieve to get an A* in GCSE edexcel maths is.

Also, what do people think the grade boundaries will be for edexcel gcse maths this year? I'm saying 166 for an A*.

174ish for A* imo
Reply 2
Original post by BBeyond
174ish for A* imo

I would disagree with that, purely due to the fact that the only reason the boundary was so high last November was because a large majority of people being entered were A* students. The boundary in June is almost always lower as a large percentage of the country would've found the paper difficult, therefore grade boundaries will be lower. I think the highest the A* boundary could be is 169, but I think it's more likely to be about 166/167. That just my opinion though.
Reply 3
I would disagree with that, purely due to the fact that the only reason the boundary was so high last November was because a large majority of people being entered were A* students. The boundary in June is almost always lower as a large percentage of the country would've found the paper difficult, therefore grade boundaries will be lower. I think the highest the A* boundary could be is 169, but I think it's more likely to be about 166/167. That just my opinion though.

the easiest paper edexcel have set in a long time, would be very surprised if the boundaries were below 170
Reply 4
Original post by BBeyond
the easiest paper edexcel have set in a long time, would be very surprised if the boundaries were below 170

That's just your opinion. I'm sure other people found it more difficult. I thought it was about the same as last year....
That's just your opinion. I'm sure other people found it more difficult. I thought it was about the same as last year....

I agree that it was about the same as last year and wasn't by any means the easiest as some did find it difficult. No one I asked, including A* students said it was a walk in the park whatsoever.

160-170 is the usual for an A* across both papers. So the average percentage for an A* is usually 80-85%
Reply 6
Original post by yellowcopter
I agree that it was about the same as last year and wasn't by any means the easiest as some did find it difficult. No one I asked, including A* students said it was a walk in the park whatsoever.

160-170 is the usual for an A* across both papers. So the average percentage for an A* is usually 80-85%

I think I have about 169 marks. So I should be fine provided the boundaries don't go higher than they were last November,which I think is unlikely as the boundaries are always lower in June.
I think I have about 169 marks. So I should be fine provided the boundaries don't go higher than they were last November,which I think is unlikely as the boundaries are always lower in June.

There's no guarantee that November grade boundaries are always higher but looking at the grade boundaries for years and years back June always has lower boundaries since most people are entered in June. So I think it's safe to say June 2014 will be lower than November 2013.
Reply 8
Original post by yellowcopter
There's no guarantee that November grade boundaries are always higher but looking at the grade boundaries for years and years back June always has lower boundaries since most people are entered in June. So I think it's safe to say June 2014 will be lower than November 2013.

Indeed, there is of course no guarantee, though I would be very surprised if they were higher than 169.

Quick Reply

Latest